PDA

View Full Version : My girlfriend feels ill when flying

amadman114
31st Oct 2015, 09:29
Hi,
My girlfriend has come flying with me about 5 times now, and every time she's felt ill, though managed to not throw up. She never has motion sickness otherwise (not even on rollercoasters!). She also believes it's not a manifestation of nerves/fear, as she's genuinely not scared, and wants to enjoy it.

My question is, have any of you been in a similar situation and/or have suggestions on how to solve her sickness?

Pace
31st Oct 2015, 09:43
I went up with a very good aerobatic pilot and I have a stomach of steel :E
He put this aerobatic machine through every manoeuvre you could think of.
By the time he gave me the controls to try the manoeuvres I felt as sick as a dog.

Even in a car its very rare the driver gets car sickness but common for passengers.

Maybe next time (depending on your experience ) let her fly the sortie from the right with your hands guiding things or better still pay for her to have a trial flight with an instructor with her flying from the left? My guess she will not feel ill if she is in control

Pace

foxmoth
31st Oct 2015, 09:49
Has she tried anti sickness medication? I would go with Pace, but if that does not work then meds may help.

Stanwell
31st Oct 2015, 10:28
As a former mariner, I'm not unfamiliar with that problem in others.

Without going into the physiological causes and effects, I'll just say -
The golden rule is...
GIVE THEM SOMETHING USEFUL TO DO.

Motion sickness, particularly seasickness and that suffered by aerobatics passengers, creates a feeling of hopelessness in the sufferer.
At its worst, they just want to curl up and die.

If the person is made to feel that his/her active participation is essential to the safe working of the craft, things will usually change for the better.
Having them regularly refer to the horizon (if available) and reporting any sightings (of whatever) also helps.
Even create a "crisis" if you need to.

The important thing is to get them ACTIVELY involved - they'll soon come to.
Uttering soothing, sympathetic words is the worst thing you can do (aside from leaving them to wallow in their own misery, of course).

Hope that's some help - it usually works for me, anyway.

jollyrog
31st Oct 2015, 11:17
Flying is a serious and addictive hobby. By now, you've invested a great deal of time, trouble, effort and money in it. You really need to get the most out of it and keep it up.

This girlfriend is clearly incompatible with flying, you should get a new one. I recommend the Bose A20.

Jonzarno
31st Oct 2015, 12:52
Motion sickness arises because of a mismatch in the brain's interpretation of signals from the balance organ in the middle ear and from the eyes.

One thing that does help it is to focus the eyes on the horizon as that makes the signals they send correspond more closely to those from the middle ear. If in IMC, the attitude indicator (especially if it's a big PFD in a glass cockpit) can also be used for this.

The advice above about keeping busy also helps. :ok:

irish seaplane
31st Oct 2015, 12:58
I remember being on a base leg for EILT on a windy day, and looking at the girl beside me with a white face. I reached in the back emptied the flight case and she filled it for me on finals. Never the same flight case...

dazdaz1
31st Oct 2015, 15:03
I recall my late old mum told me (she pax allot) arrowroot biscuits were offered as a help to flight sickness. I believe arrowroot also helps with car sickness.

Crazy Fokker
31st Oct 2015, 17:30
I took my (now ex) girlfriend up once, next time I take anyone up I'll vet them very carefully as it was a complete nightmare. I hadn't passed my test so she was in the back. At only 5' tall she didn't find it cramped, but remarked the interior was a lot smaller than she was expecting.

She gave no indication she'd ever had any kind of motion sickness before - having bungee jumped, I thought this was well within her stride. How wrong I was.

Twenty minutes into the flight we were circling our hometown with occasional light turns. While the instructor and I were pointing out landmarks she said she felt ill.. . So we said we'd forget the sightseeing and just fly home. Too late.

The worried looking flight instructor produced a very crumpled, worn airline style sickbag that almost looked like a screwed up ball of paper. She passed it back to my girlfriend who made immediate use of it.

I felt sorry for her, but I'll never forget those sounds coming through the headset. I'll also never forget the look the instructor shared with me, (not my usual instructor either) a look of mutual repulsion.

We got back as quick as we could, but unfortunately had to go-around due to a slow microlight on final. This only contributed to my girlfriend's wincing and moaning.

In all, it was a deeply unpleasant experience for all involved but my girlfriend managed extremely well - no mess and no smells! That crumpled up old sickbag did it's job.

What did I learn? How important it is to enquire with intended passengers what the likelihood of them getting motion sickness is... Have they had it before etc...

It was such a beautiful day that day, also, it was the last time I ever flew that aircraft as I moved house.

I wish you luck overcoming this issue. Some fine advice above from the others.

funfly
31st Oct 2015, 21:35
Seriously consider nerves in a case like this.

mary meagher
31st Oct 2015, 22:03
Your girlfriend is very brave if she has flown with you five times! It is not the same as roller coasters at all. Like others suggest on this thread, it is having nothing to do except suffer your maneuvers! If you intend to stick with her in the future, invest in HER flying lessons!

I had to take quells (for motion sickness) the first ten times I went up in a glider. They should be taken half an hour before flying, and have a sick bag in reach just in case.

As I was doing more and more of the flying I needed the pills less and less...and now may still get queasy if the other guy is doing most of the flying on a long cross country flight.
So next spring, book her in on a gliding course! and then some power lessons, and after that, the more she controls the aircraft instead of you, the happier she will be.

rans6andrew
31st Oct 2015, 22:10
my other half isn't good on boats on the river, can't read in the car or on the train etc. Roller coasters are never going to feature on her list of achievements.

We find a good intake of crystallised ginger during the pre-flight activities and acupressure bands during the flight and she is fine. A front passenger seat and low instrument panel lets her see the view ahead and pointing out/looking out for landmarks keeps her mind off the motion.

Rans6.......

ShyTorque
31st Oct 2015, 22:41
Have you considered a new girlfriend? If you want to be a real pilot you'll have to get used to doing that. ;)

wanabee777
31st Oct 2015, 23:22
Try ReliefBand transdermal neurotechnology.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61Ii9P4Kp-L._SY450_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/NEW-ReliefBand-Motion-Morning-Sickness/dp/B00PG4NUOS/ref=sr_1_1?srs=3040037011&ie=UTF8&qid=1446334057&sr=8-1&refinements=p_85%3A1

megan
1st Nov 2015, 01:10
Used to have a a lot of trouble with sickness whenever in the sim - not to the point of throwing up, but in the early days I had to get out of there. Common problem it seems, and the instructors used to have a loop of elastic with a button sewn on. The button was positioned so that rested on the inside of the wrist. Seemed to do the job, and no meds involved. You could do worse than having the girlfriend give it a try.

India Four Two
1st Nov 2015, 03:44
I agree with the suggestion to let your girlfriend fly the aircraft. That can help a lot. Many's the time I've had to say to a glider student on a turbulent soaring day: "Let me demonstrate something to you. I have control." ;)

Another thing that helps is to make sure the lapstrap is really tight, so that she doesn't bounce around in the seat.

ChickenHouse
1st Nov 2015, 08:27
Try whatever she is willing to let you try, but face it ultimately - not everybody is aircraft compatible. If it turns out she is unfit for flying, leave her on the ground.

Pace
1st Nov 2015, 10:42
I can remember flying a client and his business associates to Newcastle in a Seneca Five twin IFR from its south west base.
The air was silky smooth, not a ripple and on an IFR flight plan, gentle and few turns turns and no messing around.

Soon after takeoff the one male passenger projectile vomited the contents of his stomach over every surface back to front and the whole flight was a succession of vomiting sounds albeit with less and less content.

We landed and within minutes the guy was back to normal and having cleaned himself up they set off for a meeting
Luckily for us as the plane stank the handling agents located a cleaning company who cleaned the aircraft interior.

On the return the guy got out of the car cheerful and smiling and everyone loaded.
Again soon after takeoff the retching sounds started and again continued for the whole flight although in silky smooth air.
This time there was little or no content in his stomach to vomit and we landed with him returning to normal soon after.

What mechanism causes something like that is a complete loss for me to understand ? Or why he was as happy as Larry in the 30 minute car trip to the meeting ?
Apart from the few degrees deck angle in the climb and descent the ride in the aircraft was probably smoother than the bumps enroute in the car. How much is psychological ??? God knows! and if psychological how much these pills and anti sickness gizmos are placebo effect?

My guess is psychological is more the driving force and i will explain why? If you go 30 storeys up a block of flats and walk onto a flat balcony with good secure guards around the balcony you will look out and admire and enjoy the view.
Now take away the secure barriers so you are standing on the edge of the balcony with nothing to stop you falling off to your death 30 storeys down and you would probably get intense vertigo and dizziness yet in both situations the balcony platform is stable. the only difference between the two is psychological and real barrier protecting you from falling off with the one and no barrier with the other
I am always amazed at the mindset of dare devil tight rope walkers who can walk between buildings with no safety strap attached or free climbers who climb with no safeguards.

I remember an amazing picture of a free climber a woman in only a bikini and a belt holding chalk powder hanging with one hand vertically over a rock overhang and a 300 foot drop to the rocks below. she casually placed the free hand to get chalk from the belt knowing that one slip was immediate death. Her mindset and familiarity and lack of fear had a lot to do with it which lead to her confidence in her ability

Pace

Flyingmac
1st Nov 2015, 13:29
My wife used to take Stugeron. Worked a treat. She weaned herself off them after a while.

Pace
1st Nov 2015, 13:44
Flying Mac

But had you given her a vitamin pill and told her it was an anti nausea stugeron tablet it would probably have worked just as well.

Apart from ear diseases and a few other conditions most are in the mind

Pace

Flyingmac
1st Nov 2015, 13:57
Well done Pace. She's read your post over my shoulder. Square one:rolleyes:.

Pace
1st Nov 2015, 15:41
FM

Moral to the story never let your wife /girlfriend see what you are looking at on the internet :E

Pace

patowalker
1st Nov 2015, 18:46
Google "travel sickness bands". They worked for me in the Drake Passage.

Chris the Robot
1st Nov 2015, 19:08
Firstly, I would second what patowalker has said, from my experience the travel sickness bands are effective.

When flying gliders, I wear them and I'm generally free from any symptoms of airsickness. However, if an instructor takes control and sets up some upset recovery situations or spins, then I begin to feel a bit queasy after ten or so minutes.

Historically, when humans were poisoned by something they ate, vision and their other senses often didn't match, therefore a vomiting reflex occurred. I find that when another person is flying somewhat "interesting" manoeuvres, I cannot equate control movement with what I am seeing. Therefore, after a few minutes (even with the sickness bands), I begin to feel like wanting to go back and land.

Fly-by-Wife
2nd Nov 2015, 08:30
They worked for me in the Drake Passage.

They work better on your wrists.

FBW

Sir Niall Dementia
2nd Nov 2015, 08:47
Marmalade sandwiches. The glucose is a strong alkali and helps neutralise the acid bike. Also they are the only food that taste exactly the same coming up as going down.

SND

Martin_123
2nd Nov 2015, 10:39
my GF likes to take pictures whilst flying, as soon as I catch her head down or turned way back, I ask her to look for traffic on her right, otherwise I know it's going to be some 40-50 seconds of her having her head turned back before she announces she's sick. Keeping them busy and looking out on the horizon does the trick, we have even done 3h flights now with out any issue

dirkdj
2nd Nov 2015, 10:46
Ginger/lemon tea works and is nice to drink as well.

DaveyJay85
2nd Nov 2015, 10:50
I, like quite a few others, experienced pretty back motion sickness when I first started my lessons. The first 10 hours weren't pleasant! My instructor was amazing though and would spot the signs before I even started to feel much discomfort. As with most things though, the more you do it, the more used to it you become.

He recommended (and now I do) ginger sweets. I had "gin-gins" (can get them in health shops) which are a little sweeter than just raw ginger and they really settle the stomach.

Just don't kiss her after. They stink.

9 lives
2nd Nov 2015, 10:51
For my experience, take more interest in the condition of your passenger, than your enthusiasm for flying. Fly steadily, and avoid other than straight and level as much as possible. Chat normally with them, knowing that their chatting less (or non) is a strong indication they are not feeling well. Tell them that there's no problem going back early if they like.

Provide fresh air, and draw their attention to the horizon. If three or four times you point out something on the horizon, and they do not comment, it's time to take them back regardless of what you think about their condition.

As said, even hardened pilots can get motion sick when they are not flying. If yu want them to go again, make this time as pleasant as you can for them.

Genghis the Engineer
2nd Nov 2015, 11:47
They work better on your wrists.

FBW

Or just have the passenger gently massage the same point with a finger or thumb from the other hand.

If you look on the inside of your wrist, you should see two creases. Measure the length of your front thumb joint towards the inside of your elbow from the crease nearest to the elbow. Probe gently there, and you should find the point - it's slightly recessed and slightly tender. Accupuncturists would call it Pericardium 6.

That's the point that the seasickness bands work on, and somebody GENTLY massaging the point themselves works even better. It also gives them something active to concentrate upon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aM430P7scE

G

Pace
2nd Nov 2015, 16:53
GTE

Acupressure is a technique which many find useful! There is another point just above your breastbone which I have used on the dentist chair with some success
Whether that is the fact that the conscious thought of physically pressing and that slight discomfort diverts attention and fear of what the dentist is doing I don't know
Regardless whatever works ? The only problem with any crutch is you hit the ground harder if that crutch breaks )) but in the dentist chair acupressure does help

Pace

RatherBeFlying
2nd Nov 2015, 17:37
The dirty secret among glider pilots is that they can get themselves sick maneuvering in a strong thermal.

Students can challenge instructor stomachs:uhoh: Medium freezer bags come in handy. Afterwards you feel better:p

Ginger can help.

Acclimatisation helps, but you have to start anew every season.

One of my sons when small would got sick twice in the flare in a crosswind landing.

Wander00
2nd Nov 2015, 20:13
Only been airsick once - solo in a Gnat - either my crap aeros or something I ate (or drank)!

Vilters
2nd Nov 2015, 20:51
The best option is : Let her fly.

Teach what and how the airplane responds to "her" control inputs.
Do it gently, and it will all be over before you know it.
----------------
But also know : Air sickness is for everybody.

I flew between 50 and 100 hrs a year in all kinds of stuff.
From Ultra lights up to and including the F-16.

Never got airsick. Did not know what it meant.
------------------------------------------------------

One day, our CO handed me a ticket to Farnborough (UK) as a passenger on a BAF HS. A small trip of about 45-50 minutes.

As usual, LOL; I fell asleep soon after boarding.

Half way over the channel, (Belgium to UK) I woke up, as sick as I had never been before. Man, man, man, I could crowl under my seat..... and was sick the rest of the day.

In the evening we had to board for the flight home. I walked up those stairs with lead in my shoes.... This was gonna be bad.

Seated, and once airborne again, I recovered as if nothing had happened at all.
Very pleasant flight home, and when driving home, I wondered ; Hey what happened today? ?

Genghis the Engineer
2nd Nov 2015, 21:55
GTE

Acupressure is a technique which many find useful! There is another point just above your breastbone which I have used on the dentist chair with some success
Whether that is the fact that the conscious thought of physically pressing and that slight discomfort diverts attention and fear of what the dentist is doing I don't know
Regardless whatever works ? The only problem with any crutch is you hit the ground harder if that crutch breaks )) but in the dentist chair acupressure does help

Pace

Off topic, but what the heck.

Can you explain exactly where that point is? I've been practicing acupressure non-professionally for 20 odd years but neither from practice or half a dozen books that I just waded through can I come up with any pain control points at the top of the breastbone - which doesn't mean that they don't exist, but I'm stumped at the moment.

G

Pace
3rd Nov 2015, 07:41
G

I bought a book on it maybe 12 years ago :ok: Yes if you go to where your ribs come to a V point and the breast bone, bend your thumb and place the tip of your thumb on the breastbone where your thumb joint is about an inch up you will find a tender point press on that :E

There is also a point in the muscle between the thumb and first finger. spread your thumb and first finger and at the web between move about an inch back into the muscle squeeze that muscle with two fingers.

They are not supposed to be anti pain points but calming points but as stated they do work. Maybe more to do with giving your mind something to concentrate on rather than 100% on what the dentist or whatever is doing to you.

When you drive a car yourself its very rare to get motion sickness and maybe this is more to do with the fact that your mind is fully occupied driving the car

Pace

squidie
3rd Nov 2015, 16:15
Only aeros tend to make me feel sick occasionally but you get used to it anyway. I used to get a little sick when doing my PPL training but mainly because I had my head in the cockpit half the time.

Genghis the Engineer
3rd Nov 2015, 16:41
G

I bought a book on it maybe 12 years ago :ok: Yes if you go to where your ribs come to a V point and the breast bone, bend your thumb and place the tip of your thumb on the breastbone where your thumb joint is about an inch up you will find a tender point press on that :E

There is also a point in the muscle between the thumb and first finger. spread your thumb and first finger and at the web between move about an inch back into the muscle squeeze that muscle with two fingers.

The first sounds to be Conception 22: listed vaguely in one of my encyclopaedias as a healing point, but without much expansion; I shall research further.

The point on the hand makes sense, but I'll look a bit further in as well.

Always good to combine one's hobbies :cool:

G