PDA

View Full Version : Iberia Pilot announcement on PA: "Landing in Palestine"

fox niner
29th Oct 2015, 08:22
Here is your "what the €@&/£$¥#" moment of the day:

Apparently the captain of an Iberia flight into Tel Aviv announced they would be landing in Palestine in a few minutes.
Really. Of all unprofessional things that one could possibly say on the PA system, this would surely make the top 3.
Regardless what your political opinion is. And sure, anyone is entitled to have one.

The Jerusalem Post (http://m.jpost.com/Arab-Israeli-Conflict/Report-Captain-on-Israel-bound-flight-from-Spain-announced-landing-in-Palestine-430340#article=6018QTM1RjNDMTIyRDQxNDQ4NjUxRDVDREVENzZFRDFDQ TA=)

ATC Watcher
29th Oct 2015, 09:13
Or simply an attempt to humor.
Anyway a strom in a glass of water.
recently on AF inbound flight to StPtersburg ,they put John lennon song on the PA ." back to the USSR" . Possibly not everybody liked it but most of us smiled .

RAT 5
29th Oct 2015, 09:18
It gets boring, but it's a common whinge of ez pilots to say, when landing RW18R AMS that they'll be laying in Belgium and taking forever to taxi to the gate across the border.

Pointer
29th Oct 2015, 10:48
Whoahahaha EazyJet pilots have humor, not much knowledge of geography, since last i looked Belgium was SOUTH.. of the Netherlands.. but hey..

they get a 10 for effort :ok:

:suspect: humor not allowed := in my current airline.. :rolleyes:

Pointer :E

Less Hair
29th Oct 2015, 11:06
I would hate an IB announcement like that. Might be easily mistaken for some cockpit weirdo, fanatic or else statement.

Pontius
29th Oct 2015, 14:41
Whoahahaha EazyJet pilots have humor, not much knowledge of geography, since last i looked Belgium was SOUTH.. of the Netherlands.. but hey..

they get a 10 for effort

In response to:

ez pilots to say, when landing RW18R AMS that they'll be laying in Belgium and taking forever to taxi to the gate across the border.

Seeing as they're landing on 18R, Pointer, it sounds like their geography is better than your 'knowledge' of the cardinal points.

Capot
29th Oct 2015, 17:41
Reminds me of the Captain who advised his passengers to turn their watches back to the 14th century, just before landing at Jeddah, in a reference to the Hijri calendar that was not appreciated by all.

Saudia? BA? Can't recall. I do remember that the repercussions went on for some time.

The Range
29th Oct 2015, 18:20
It would be worse to land at the wrong airport or country.

172_driver
29th Oct 2015, 19:46
This should have been in JetBlast, at best, from the first post.

silvertate
29th Oct 2015, 20:26
Not a good comment to make.

It could have been taken literally, and worryingly literally, by some regulars on the flight - especially after the French Air Charter aircraft that landed in the wrong country back in 1986. They might have had several disputes over the years, but Israel and Jordan were different countries even back in '86.

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1454&dat=19861104&id=N3ZSAAAAIBAJ&sjid=4RMEAAAAIBAJ&pg=4338,1635673&hl=en

Peter H
29th Oct 2015, 22:23
During the subsequent investigation by the airline, crew members and several Spanish-speaking passengers confirmed that the announcement, given first in Spanish and subsequently in English, was "… we're now descending to land at our destination, Tel Aviv…".

Iberia airline denies that pilot made 'Palestine' remark - BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-34665549)

added .. Maybe we should add allegedly to the title?

29th Oct 2015, 23:26
If I ever divert to Istanbul, on a bucket and spade flight, I'm going to announce it as Constantinople or better still, Byzantium, just to wind up some humourless b.......s

Gertrude the Wombat
29th Oct 2015, 23:34
Air UK FA on arrival at Stansted on a typical grey drizzly day:

"Welcome to Honolulu."