PDA

View Full Version : GLASGOW 2

Pages : [1] 2

LTNman
28th Oct 2015, 19:10
This thread replaces GLASGOW which has disappeared but a cached version can be found here http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:CuI_YZmLY08J:www.pprune.org/airlines-airports-routes/193145-glasgow-54.html+&cd=7&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk for anyone who wants to look up an old post.

DaveReidUK
29th Oct 2015, 07:33
Picky, I know, but the convention is to separate the subject and ordinal with a hyphen, e.g. "GLASGOW - 2". Might be worth doing that before the thread gets populated.

j636
3rd Nov 2015, 11:49
Easyjet to fly to MRS (June-Sep)

VickersVicount
3rd Nov 2015, 17:19
presume MRS (odd choice given the glaring network gaps) us to replace RAK?

nighthawk117
4th Nov 2015, 08:12
According to Cheap Flight News (http://www.cheapflight.news/flybe-drop-glasgow-bournemouth/), FlyBE will be dropping Bournemouth from 6th January, due to an aircraft being withdrawn from Bournemouth

VickersVicount
4th Nov 2015, 09:00
no great loss there. Always seemed doomed. One wonders who dreams up these pairings in the first place. A bit like EDI-LPL.

SealinkBF
4th Nov 2015, 09:22
no great loss there. Always seemed doomed. One wonders who dreams up these pairings in the first place. A bit like EDI-LPL.

Have you used CrossCountry trains?

Le Tirer
4th Nov 2015, 09:39

I expect the 4000 or so passengers who were using the route every month may disagree! Seems a shame to me as passenger numbers appeared to be growing nicely but obviously don't know the yield. Any chance of it returning for Summer 2016?

April 3164
May 3799
June 3927
July 4716
August 4474

LT

Joe Curry
11th Nov 2015, 11:17
FlyBE will be dropping Bournemouth from 6th January

I remember the 1st ever GLA-BOU flights over a decade ago operated by the then Scotjet? Did it really use a BAC 1-11?

ezyBoh
11th Nov 2015, 12:18
It was called Euroscot Express if I remember. Flew to EDI too and sometimes BOH-EDI-GLA-BOH

goldeneye
26th Nov 2015, 09:39
Councils to seek City Deal funding for a tram-train rail link at Glasgow Airport

A RAIL link between between Glasgow Airport and the city centre "could be operation by 2025" with funding from the City Deal.

Link (http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/14103530.display/)

james170969
26th Nov 2015, 14:46
Great news for Glasgow Airport but for the rail link to be used to its full potential it would be better if Glasgow Crossrail was built. Also for me to use it there would have to be a direct link to Ayrshire.

Fairdealfrank
26th Nov 2015, 18:17
Great news for Glasgow Airport but for the rail link to be used to its full potential it would be better if Glasgow Crossrail was built. Also for me to use it there would have to be a direct link to Ayrshire.

Glasgow Crossrail already exists (although not called "crossrail"):
Helensburgh-Partick-Glasgow Queen Street (Low Level)-Livingston-Edinburgh.

LFT
26th Nov 2015, 18:24
It's the Crossrail linking the south west of Scotland to the east and north east that should be a priority, that involves the laying of IIRC something like 500yds of track near High Street.

james170969
26th Nov 2015, 19:57
Thanks LFT, that was the Crossrail I meant. If the rail link was just a service from Central Station to Glasgow Airport via Paisley that would limit the number pf passengers who would be prepared to use it. Opening up the line at High Street would mean the possibility of trains from Edinburgh, Stirling, Perth and Aberdeen. For me to be tempted to leave my car at home there would have to be a direct link from Ayrshire.

farci
27th Nov 2015, 07:30
Thanks LFT, that was the Crossrail I meant. If the rail link was just a service from Central Station to Glasgow Airport via Paisley that would limit the number pf passengers who would be prepared to use it. Opening up the line at High Street would mean the possibility of trains from Edinburgh, Stirling, Perth and Aberdeen. For me to be tempted to leave my car at home there would have to be a direct link from Ayrshire.
The Transport Scotland report endorsing the new link assumes that most passengers' final destination is Glasgow city centre and so dismisses Scotland's Crossrail as irrelevant. Does anybody know statistics for GLA passenger origin/destination?

james170969
27th Nov 2015, 14:12
I think Transport Scotland are being a wee bit short sighted. Surely if Crossrail got the go ahead then this would encourage more passengers to use Glasgow Airport who might otherwise have flown from elsewhere.

scodaman
27th Nov 2015, 23:18
Anyone know the purpose of this flight?

I have seen it several times before and always late at night, a training flight?

Flightradar24.com - Live flight tracker! (http://www.flightradar24.com/H25C/819c921)

N707ZS
28th Nov 2015, 07:13
On the flip side, the more people who travel by train means less revenue from car parks.

LandingConfig
28th Nov 2015, 10:54
Anyone know the purpose of this flight?

I have seen it several times before and always late at night, a training flight?

Flightradar24.com - Live flight tracker! (http://www.flightradar24.com/H25C/819c921)

It's Gama Aviation's Hawker 1000 which is based at GLA.

farci
1st Dec 2015, 08:23
Punch-up amongst the railway commentariat about the virtues of the proposed tram-train. In today's Herald Christian Wolmar points out that a heavy rail scheme fully connected to the rest of Scotland could be built for about the same price as a tram-train which only runs to overcrowded Glasgow Central station.

Mr Wolmar said: "Building a tram/train system to Glasgow Airport rather than a full rail link is a short term fix that will be poorly used and fails to address the main source of demand. Glasgow, as Scotland’s biggest city, needs an airport that is reached easily from around Scotland, not just Glasgow city centre."

He said council leaders should instead consider local transport campaigners' vision for a heavy rail link, known as NEWgarl, which they claim could be delivered for £137m.

Expert warns against "short-term fix" of tram-train rail link at Glasgow Airport (From Herald Scotland) (http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/14113517.Wolmar_warns_against__short_term_fix__of_tram_train _rail_link_at_Glasgow_Airport/)

scotbill
1st Dec 2015, 08:55
It has been clear since the re-birth of the Scottish Parliament and its civil service that their collective mission is to ensure that Edinburgh is Scotland's major hub.
Money is no object when it comes to Edinburgh projects such as unnecessary trams and bridges. But the Crossrail scheme might take traffic away from Edinburgh airport -although that has already been expanded out of its comfort zone.

Therefore it has little chance of being approved - however sensible a case can be made.

VickersVicount
1st Dec 2015, 14:35
apart from spotters complaining about routes and pax no's at EDI im not sure it is 'clear' that all resources from SG are being directed to EDI is it? Sounds fanciful. Its the tourist nature of EDI that has aided its growth.

willy wombat
1st Dec 2015, 17:09
Indeed, SG resources are clearly being directed at (wasted at) Prestwick.

billyg
1st Dec 2015, 21:11
It has been clear since the re-birth of the Scottish Parliament and its civil service that their collective mission is to ensure that Edinburgh is Scotland's major hub.

Absolutely , and anyone who thinks otherwise is in a prolonged state of denial !

Skipness One Foxtrot
2nd Dec 2015, 09:24
Its the tourist nature of EDI that has aided its growth. Politics plays it's part, the centre of power has moved from Glasgow to Edinburgh on our lifetimes as the capital now sees itself, and is seen as major European city.
PIK is irrelevent as even with the sheer volume of money thrown at it, Ryanair still moved the bulk of their operation to GLA. However the idea of either airport as functioning hub is a misconception, Vernon Murphy et al found that out in the early 90s. They are loco bases and legacy spokes, the only hub in Scotland is Loganair at GLA and to a leser extend EDI.

It seems like yesterday they shelved the GARL, it's becoming our own railtrack version of LHR #3 IMHO.

AtomKraft
3rd Dec 2015, 08:11
Well, good luck with mixing trains and trams on the same rails. If it's ever been done before, I can't think where.

ATNotts
3rd Dec 2015, 08:34
Well, good luck with mixing trains and trams on the same rails. If it's ever been done before, I can't think where.

At the risk of thread drift I believe this does happen in Karlsruhe, and possibly some other German cities.

rutankrd
3rd Dec 2015, 11:27
Tram-train's are operating in quite few EU countries already.

And by co-incidence the first Tram-train set for testing purposes in the UK arrived only a few days ago.

There are to be tests on the Sheffield network with an extension over the Network Rail lines from Meadowhall into Rotherham in around a years time.

The main concerns of the rail industry are potential crash resistance and tyre wear as rails have differing profiles.

On satisfactory completion of tests the Manchester system may move forward to converting a number of suburban routes from heavy rail to Tram-train.

All irrelevant to Glasgow through.

VickersVicount
3rd Dec 2015, 21:55
Anyone know the status of Virgin LAS flights from GLA next Autumn? Was it a one off this year, or has TCX taken what is a relatively limited market?

scodaman
15th Dec 2015, 22:08
Here is the little Hawker Beechcraft 1000 again

This flight happens about once a week, out from Glasgow GLA and over top of Ireland and back in a loop, anyone know what it is doing?

Flightradar24.com - Live flight tracker! (http://www.flightradar24.com/H25C/846efb2)

LandingConfig
15th Dec 2015, 22:41
Can anyone explain why this thread disappeared?

rolaaand
16th Dec 2015, 00:35
Scodaman. TLA VOR has been replaced. It needs to be calibrated. I'm guessing that is what this flight is doing.

DOUGALD
16th Dec 2015, 23:38
Can anyone shed any light on what's going on in the departures area?
It's been a building site for quite a few months now.
The blue boarded up shops extend all the way along the whole wall of this part of the terminal.
It's all a bit dismal.
Is there a new restaurant opening where Frankie and bennys used to be?

17th Dec 2015, 01:30
Utterly bizarre use of a tram train. I thought the accepted logic was that you use them on proper rails outside the most congested routes, and that they then go on-road once in city centres where the railways have capacity problems that would be difficult to solve / inconveniently sited stations?

goldeneye
17th Dec 2015, 08:23
I am wondering why options for building a new station near the end of the runway (M8/A737 interchange area) and build an air rail link similar to that of Birmingham Airport. the distance seems to be around the same. Appreciate it would need to go over/under the motorway but surely doing something like that would be better than this odd tram/train idea.
The trains between Glasgow and Greenock are pretty frequent to make this work.

MAJP
18th Dec 2015, 10:24
AirFrance daily flight to CDG with Airbus318 starting March 27th

Timetable:

AF1056 CDG 07:30-08:15 GLA 318 D
AF1057 GLA 09:00-11:50 CDG 318 D

LandingConfig
18th Dec 2015, 10:34
Air France launching GLA-CDG in March 2016 with daily A318, morning departure.

Skipness One Foxtrot
18th Dec 2015, 13:29
Third time lucky?
In fairness, the last try with British European operating CRJs was killed by Ryanair on PIK-CRL, this harks back to the original AF924 / 921 operation where the mainline B732 used to overnight in ABZ and depart GLA early morning. And now I feel old(er).

Wonder how this will impact on easyJet?

CabinCrewe
18th Dec 2015, 13:55
Thats a great new route. Slightly different market, so will have minimal impact on EZY service. I cant imagine the environment AF last operated in to GLA is the same as it is now...

mwm991
19th Dec 2015, 07:54
Another major carrier is most definitely welcome. I'm off to the States for work in the summer, so this is another nice hub to have on offer.

EZY is the direct leisure market while the majority of people using AF will be connecting onwards I'd imagine, so like CC says I can't see that existing service being affected.

willy wombat
19th Dec 2015, 15:33
Interesting choice of aircraft type from AF.

nivsy
21st Dec 2015, 13:05
Indeed, CDG-GLA just does not seem to last with AF, but I do like the sound of using A318's.....(never flown on one I think). Hope it works.

Is GLA really only holding around 7.5M pax a year? I think the last time I paid attention to pax figures showed that EDI was overtaking the wetsern side of the country airport, but I see EDI now has in excess of 10M.....why has GLA lost out so much?

Maybe RYR are developing stronger at GLA now that they have moved from PIK (on the whole)..

mwm991
21st Dec 2015, 14:17
Indeed, CDG-GLA just does not seem to last with AF, but I do like the sound of using A318's.....(never flown on one I think). Hope it works.

Is GLA really only holding around 7.5M pax a year? I think the last time I paid attention to pax figures showed that EDI was overtaking the wetsern side of the country airport, but I see EDI now has in excess of 10M.....why has GLA lost out so much?

Maybe RYR are developing stronger at GLA now that they have moved from PIK (on the whole)..
Edinburgh has more inbound tourism, is home of the central government and it also serves a much wider area. Places such as Dundee use Edinburgh as its main airport and it also sits on the western edge of the city so a lot of people on the eastern edges of Glasgow will also use it.

mwm991
21st Dec 2015, 15:23
Does anyone know how the Glasgow to Munich service has fared? With Air France now at the airport Lufthansa are probably the next big carrier with little to no presence at the airport, with the lone once weekly seasonal service.

nivsy
21st Dec 2015, 18:32
Thought there was a daily LH to DUS?

CabinCrewe
21st Dec 2015, 19:26
its Eurowings or whatever theyre currently called, and its not daily

Ethiopia
21st Dec 2015, 21:36
Wizz Air starts operating Bucharest - Glasgow route (http://aviationtribune.com/airlines/europe/item/3041-wizz-air-starts-operating-bucharest-glasgow-route)

LandingConfig
21st Dec 2015, 21:47
@nivsy It's a bit harsh to say that it 'just does not seem to last' - it was last operated by AF 17 years ago.

GLA's rolling figure is circa 8.7 million just now. GLA loses out to EDI because of the large inbound tourism market in Edinburgh. EDI took off in the last few years thanks to new ownership and carriers came flocking. Glasgow is also split between two airports, GLA and PIK, albeit PIK seeing less than 1m pax per annum. The catchment areas are similar for both GLA and EDI.

Re DUS, it's operated by Eurowings. It's currently 4x weekly but will return to 6x weekly in May. Equipment also switches from CRJ900 to A320 in October.

@mwm991 I'm led to believe that the MUC service did well in 2015. In 2016 it will operate in the morning rather than last year's late afternoon service.

GLAEDI
21st Dec 2015, 21:53

Not to get in a East/West conflict but the difference between the airports can be taken back to demise of Zoom & Globespan, the growth of FR at PIK and sell off at different times by BAA/HAL.

Glasgow will break the 9m or be very close to it this year, returning eventually to 2004 figures. A lot of that growth can be put down to FR moving from PIK to GLA and Wizzair. International traffic growth is about 12% and domestic around 7%.

A350Saltire
21st Dec 2015, 22:52
I do think FR will add another couple of aircraft at GLA over the next year but I also expect them to expand at EDI too.

10M per annum shouldn't be too far in the future for GLA. EDI passed in the 11M for the rolling year with the November pax stats and with next year's new routes (of which there are many), I fully expect EDI to be around 12M pax per annum.

nivsy
22nd Dec 2015, 08:42
:eek:

Is it really 17 years ago that AF "quit" GLA? I really am getting old - I remember when living there hopping on AF B737 to and from De Gaulle...it really was a long time ago I left my home city!! Still always a pleasure returning.....(except for the walk from the shuttle gates!)...and ever so grateful for the EZY AGP-GLA service...just dont touch it!

Nivsy

VickersVicount
23rd Dec 2015, 09:20
Is VS GLA-LAS gone for next Autumn? Doesnt seem to be bookable (having appeared at one point). Presumably the now twice weekly TCX service all summer is more than enough? Did seem like a lot to have three services at one stage going from nothing. Excellent to see VS increase their ever successful scheduled MCO route for S16 and extending into W16. Wonder if VS would dabble with another? Havana or other Carribean could do well. An additional 747 doing JFK, MIA, SFO, LAX each once or twice a week aimed at the TCX-esque leisure traveller might do well.

mwm991
23rd Dec 2015, 11:44
Is VS GLA-LAS gone for next Autumn? Doesnt seem to be bookable (having appeared at one point). Presumably the now twice weekly TCX service all summer is more than enough? Did seem like a lot to have three services at one stage going from nothing. Excellent to see VS increase their ever successful scheduled MCO route for S16 and extending into W16. Wonder if VS would dabble with another? Havana or other Carribean could do well. An additional 747 doing JFK, MIA, SFO, LAX each once or twice a week aimed at the TCX-esque leisure traveller might do well.
I guess much of that will depend on how sustainable the LAS service proves to be in its second full summer.

Given the right price I know a lot of people who would use a BOS or JFK service. I think an MIA service could also be successful given how well the Med party destinations appear to do from GLA/PIK. I think they would be more cautious choices before SFO/LAX.

mwm991
23rd Dec 2015, 11:48
What I'm also wondering is how long it will be before GLA pursues the remaning Ryanair routes at Prestwick? With PIK haemorraging money and a huge increase in the route network over the last 18 months, it must surely be something quietly on the agenda.

ScotsSLF
30th Dec 2015, 14:44
Turkish at GLA today - reason?

PPRuNeUser0176
30th Dec 2015, 14:48
Diverted from DUB.

ScotsSLF
30th Dec 2015, 15:23
Thanks - noted that it was headed to DUB so that should put some rumours to bed!

sf01
1st Jan 2016, 13:03
Seems that VS has changed the end date for the Orlando flights till the end of November instead of October . They will only operate on a Friday.

Could this mean another route for the winter as sending and aircraft up to GLA for one day might be a waste.

From VS website
Glasgow (GLA) to Orlando (MCO)
Departing Friday 18 November 2016
Virgin Atlantic
Depart:
11:00
Arrive:
14:50
Duration:
8 hrs 50 mins
Flight number: VS071
Boeing 747-400 Passenger

CabinCrewe
2nd Jan 2016, 20:59
Thats what they initially did so I wouldnt read anything into that and its only for 5 weeks. Plus isnt it once weekly positioner for BFS next year too? With the withdrawal of LAS, thats the last of VS expanded routes for the forseeable id say.

LandingConfig
3rd Jan 2016, 09:25
Also starts March instead of April.

KeMac
20th Jan 2016, 19:57
A freight forwarder told me back in 2009 that 70% of their "air freight" went south by road to the London airports for onward air freight. I don't suppose this ratio has changed much but I was wondering if Glasgow has any pure air freight services currently?
Thanks
KeMac

LandingConfig
21st Jan 2016, 09:41
A freight forwarder told me back in 2009 that 70% of their "air freight" went south by road to the London airports for onward air freight. I don't suppose this ratio has changed much but I was wondering if Glasgow has any pure air freight services currently?
Thanks
KeMac

Yes, Embraer 120 to STN operated by Swiftair and ASL Ireland (Air Contractors) ATR to CDG via Newcastle. Both operate 4x weekly on behalf of FedEx.

KeMac
21st Jan 2016, 10:41
Many Thanks LandingConfig
KeMac

cornishsimon
21st Jan 2016, 12:18
Weekly BE GLA-NQY announced.
Once weekly on a Saturday with aircraft operating NQY-LPL prior to returning to GLA.

cs

CabinCrewe
21st Jan 2016, 16:44
Not bad though ideally higher frequency ie Thur Fri Sat Mon

nighthawk117
27th Jan 2016, 12:40
Korean Air will operate 3 charter flights to Glasgow in August, using A330's. Further flights are expected to be added in summer 2017.

Korean Air To Operate Summer Charter Flights To Glasgow | Cheap Flight News (http://www.cheapflight.news/korean-air-to-operate-summer-charter-flights-to-glasgow/)

Bigbluebroxi
27th Jan 2016, 13:37
VS now operating all year round with the MCO service extended through to March 2017 once per week.

http://www.glasgowairport.com/corporate/media-centre/posts/2016/january/25/virgin-atlantic-extends-glasgow-to-orlando-service-for-winter-2016/

Skipness One Foxtrot
27th Jan 2016, 14:32
VS now operating all year round with the MCO service
Excludes Dec-Feb I think, but good news !

CabinCrewe
27th Jan 2016, 18:44
Korea? where did that come from? From little acorns I suppose especially with commitment for more. Could follow a similar model to China BHX flights initially. I hope theyre not disappointed when they land!
Doubt they will be bookable outbound.

GLAEDI
27th Jan 2016, 20:19
Korea? where did that come from? From little acorns I suppose especially with commitment for more. Could follow a similar model to China BHX flights initially. I hope theyre not disappointed when they land!
Doubt they will be bookable outbound.

What's wrong with coming in to Glasgow, beautiful views of Ben Lomond, the Trossachs, Ayrshire Coast one way or the City of Glasgow the other way with the views of the Hydro, Uni of Glasgow and the Clyde. Also Glasgow Airport is a much nicer experience with regards International arrivals than other Scottish airports one of which has few air bridges and a Cow Shed for an arrivals hall!

I suspect that the tours will either arrive LHR dept Glasgow or vice versa. That way the first flight back to Seoul and last flight to Glasgow will not be empty. Also wonder if connection to the surrounding area for Korean companies I.e. Doosan Babcock may have swayed in Glasgow's favour. Lots of Doosan executives enjoy a bit of golf I hear. That may also be a factor with Cameron House, Mar hall & Turnberry nearby with their excellent golf courses.

VickersVicount
27th Jan 2016, 21:38
the spotters have been pestering GLA twitter account and by all accounts the flights will be open for UK outbound booking at some stage...
VS to Orlando started off with just a few flights.
Agree, Korean tourists better not think theyre landing in London or 'Edinboro' ... as much as theres nice scenery...
Great to see niche long haul!

DOUGALD
5th Feb 2016, 17:29
Thomas Cook are to base a third a321 next winter season.

Skipness One Foxtrot
5th Feb 2016, 19:07
Hang on, are we suggesting these people are so stupid they've booked a holiday to somewhere they don't know anything about? Randomly? I would imagine this will be a whole Scotland trip or coupled with something non London in England.

Birmingham saw China Southern inbound last year, it's a nice development to see.

CabinCrewe
5th Feb 2016, 22:21
Has the longstanding Air Transat A330 shared Calgary route been dropped from Glasgow? A relatives trip coming from Canada has been rerouted or offer of cancellation. Seems odd as a longstanding apparently successful recurring seasonal summer route.

GrahamK
5th Feb 2016, 22:24
Dropped after mid June I believe

mwm991
6th Feb 2016, 09:05
Does that mean Vancouver is gone too?

LandingConfig
6th Feb 2016, 09:19
Very limited flights this year to YYC, YVR will operate non-stop instead until the end of the season.

mwm991
6th Feb 2016, 09:41
Calgary Glasgow has always felt like a very niche service to me.

How a route like Calgary could survive considering how far away it is, its size (not very big) and a lack of connecting traffic is a mild surprise to me.

The return of AC and the establishment of Westjet has probably been a death sentence for the route.

goldeneye
6th Feb 2016, 10:16
When TCX operated the YYC flight for Canadian Affair it operated as a double drop with MAN.
Shame that TS is dropping the route.

gopaisleygo
6th Feb 2016, 10:30
Vancouver remains and, in fact, takes up the additional capacity from Calgary stopping.

mwm991
6th Feb 2016, 12:18
Makes sense. It's far bigger than Calgary and a generally more attractive destination.

Is it only a 1x weekly service?

LandingConfig
6th Feb 2016, 14:46
Makes sense. It's far bigger than Calgary and a generally more attractive destination.

Is it only a 1x weekly service?

Yes, 1x weekly A332.

CabinCrewe
6th Feb 2016, 16:24
I forgot TS were starting Montreal this summer. Slightly odd choice I would have thought but will be interesting to see if it survives. Wonder if WestJet will do anything else.

mwm991
6th Feb 2016, 16:39
Surprised if we see any more TATL developments unless its from TCX over the next year or two.

sf01
6th Feb 2016, 18:46
Surprised if we see any more TATL developments unless its from TCX over the next year or two.

I think in the next couple of years TCX will be one for some more 'niche' destination like Bostin, Miami and Los Angeles no reason why they wouldn't work at Glasgow. That's not to say that other carriers like Delta and American will not start a new service to some unserved hubs ATL,JFK,ORD

VickersVicount
7th Feb 2016, 14:12
Im sure you dont mean OHR (Wyk, Berlin)! Chicago ORD maybe?

sf01
7th Feb 2016, 16:05
Yes i did thanks my mind had went blank when i posted it i did mean O'Hare

Firstaid
15th Feb 2016, 20:50
Hopefully Westjet has a good 2016 season and they may consider year-round or more frequencies.

Firstaid
23rd Feb 2016, 15:47
Its good to see them grow their presence as there is a lot of potential for them in Glasgow.

mwm991
23rd Feb 2016, 21:42
I assume these routes will be year round as opposed to just the winter?

Firstaid
23rd Feb 2016, 22:01
Wikipedia seems to show them as winter only but I'm sure they will be very popular and back for summer 2017, along with more new routes hopefully.

Firstaid
28th Feb 2016, 18:38
Why is this thread so quiet? Does nobody want to talk about the increase in frequency Air Transat will be operating to Vancouver or the return of jet2 flights to New York in winter 2016.

CabinCrewe
28th Feb 2016, 20:02
isnt the 'increase' to YVR just a conveniently timed connection via YYZ?

Firstaid
28th Feb 2016, 20:56
isnt the 'increase' to YVR just a conveniently timed connection via YYZ?
It's being labelled as going via Toronto by Air Transat so I'd assume it's a proper service as new connections via hubs don't usually appear in the news.

LandingConfig
28th Feb 2016, 21:33
Firstaid, the non-stop flight still operates once weekly, the 'increase', as CC said, are new connections via YYZ.

As for Jet2 to New York, it's only a handful of one-off charters that operate every year.

Firstaid
28th Feb 2016, 22:19
Landing Config

Explain this article cause it is worded very different to what you have said (which I do not doubt even that it is a disappointment that it isn't increased)
Got family in Canada? Extra flights to Vancouver start this summer (From ) (http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/14282357.Got_family_in_Canada__Extra_flights_to_Vancouver_st art_this_summer/)

And I know they are charter flights but it's more routes for the airport and I thought that was what this thread and many other threads were for, discussing new routes etc.

LandingConfig
29th Feb 2016, 09:53
From your article:

Between Thursday, June 23, and Saturday, October 29, jet setters will be able to fly to the west coast city via Toronto on Thursdays and Saturdays, as well as on the existing direct service on Wednesdays.

This is reflected on their website as well, if you search for GLA-YVR it returns 3x weekly flights - one non-stop on Wednesday, as usual, plus two extra flights that operate GLA-YYZ before connecting onto TS962 to YVR on a 737-800.

The Jet2 New York route, as I say, has been operating for years and is not new.

Firstaid
29th Feb 2016, 15:30
Ok fair enough about the Vancouver flights but regardless you are trying to play down any interest in news for Glasgow for no reason.

CabinCrewe
29th Feb 2016, 18:28
oh its getting as bad as the NCL thread!
If theres genuine significant news to post it will come in due course. Just some rearranging deckchairs for now would be my summary.

LandingConfig
29th Feb 2016, 21:24
...you are trying to play down any interest in news for Glasgow for no reason.

Not at all.

Firstaid
29th Feb 2016, 21:37
I believe that you weren't meaning it like that but I'm afraid it came across a bit like that. When some big news is announced I'm sure the thread will become much busier.

I'm hoping that jet2 will announce a seventh based aircraft for 2017 as they are using an Air Europa aircraft this summer which could mean they want to expand but don't have the aircraft to expand with.

sf01
29th Feb 2016, 21:42
The main reason it's not busy is because the dedicated forum (another website) is where most people go to talk about GLA airport news.

Plenty to look forward to this year with the launch of Air France and Air Canada
also the new FR routes and TCX are basing another aircraft for this coming winter.
Jet2 (as you probably know) have ordered quite a few new aircraft most to replace older planes but some will be used to expand so a 7 base should not be to far away.

Firstaid
1st Mar 2016, 07:26
With Thomas Cook's massive expansion of long haul at MAN hopefully they try some routes out at Glasgow which I think is their second biggest long haul base (I only think I cannot confirm this). I'm sure a GLA -JFK would do really well.

MichaelOLearyGenius
3rd Mar 2016, 20:28
New direct bus service from Ayr, Prestwick and Kilmarnock started 1/3/16.

Hourly from 03:00-22:00.

Really handy as there was no way to get to GLA from Ayrshire for early flights other than by car.

Airporter Scotland (http://airporterscotland.co.uk)

A350Saltire
3rd Mar 2016, 20:34
I'm sure it launches on the 28th March?

LandingConfig
30th Mar 2016, 20:17
Ryanair launching 2x weekly Sofia-Glasgow as part of their expansion from the airport, commences 2nd November 2016.

BAladdy
27th Apr 2016, 17:22
LS will begin a weekly service to Dubrovnik on 30th April 2017 flights are planned to run through until 22nd October 2017

GrahamK
28th Apr 2016, 10:07
New Ryanair route to Charleroi (for Brussels).

mwm991
28th Apr 2016, 12:20
A route to Brussels of some sort has been long overdue.

LandingConfig
28th Apr 2016, 12:30
2x weekly from 30th October.

mwm991
8th May 2016, 20:19
Heard that BA are running a seasonal service to Vegas next year. We shall see...

canberra97
9th May 2016, 09:03
mwm991

Well I think we can put that rumour to bed right away as its not going to happen is it!

Richard Taylor
9th May 2016, 09:31
BA to Vegas would be a bit of a gamble wouldn't it? But would they still operate it when the chips are truly down, or will they hit the jackpot with the service? :p

John MacCalman
9th May 2016, 11:35
Absolute non-starter.
BA have better things to do with their aircraft.
They currently offer daily connections via LHR and though it involves a transit from T5 to T3 on the outbound this is done airside via Flight Connections so there is minimal Heathrow hassle.
Also as BA common rate their fares ex Scottish airports there is no real penalty for using the LHR transit.
VS pulled out of GLA-LAS so now Thos Cook have the direct market sown up.

CabinCrewe
9th May 2016, 15:58
Sown up is not a term id use to compare TCX chop-and -change route to a BA service. BA would eat them alive if they wanted to and the connecting stats that BA will have will bear that out. Cant see it operating myself, but if it did it will do very well. The Avios'rs would lap it up.

mwm991
9th May 2016, 18:14
My source is someone involved in the leisure travel industry. Find it hard to believe myself, but no reason to doubt them.

One thing I could see them doing, realistically is a short term charter service. I believe the North American Celtic Supporters are having their convention again in Vegas next year.

John MacCalman
9th May 2016, 18:33
My source is someone involved in the leisure travel industry. Find it hard to believe myself, but no reason to doubt them.

One thing I could see them doing, realistically is a short term charter service. I believe the North American Celtic Supporters are having their convention again in Vegas next year.
The Las Vegas Roadshow was in Glasgow last week. There was a BA rep present who actively promoted BA's service between Glasgow and LAS - it was one stop via LHR T5/T3 with airside transfers. Perhaps your contact misunderstood this to be a "direct" service.

mwm991
9th May 2016, 18:41
The source tells me it is direct, because I asked specifically about transfers.

Time will tell I suppose.

smith
9th May 2016, 21:00
https://youtu.be/uMxXPkKHv8w

Skipness One Echo
9th May 2016, 21:04
It is direct, via LHR, That's what "direct" means, one ticket :p

You'tr thinking of "non stop". No reason VS wouldn't pick it up again but BA? 99.99% unlikely.

Hial Flyer
9th May 2016, 21:15
Does direct not mean same flight number not same ticket.

smith
10th May 2016, 13:53
Direct means one aircraft with the same flight no. It may stop on the way. Any change of plane does not count as direct.

nighthawk117
10th May 2016, 14:23
Direct means one aircraft with the same flight no. It may stop on the way. Any change of plane does not count as direct.

Not true. Direct means it is one flight number. It may involve a change of aircraft, however where it does, the connection is guaranteed. i.e if the inbound flight is delayed, the second flight will be held at the airport until it arrives.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_flight for more information.

LandingConfig
10th May 2016, 22:04
Icelandair increase to daily from September.

http://www.glasgowairport.com/corporate/media-centre/posts/2016/may/10/icelandair%E2%80%99s-glasgow-flights-increase-to-daily-in-september/

CabinCrewe
10th May 2016, 22:21
Excellent. Was interesting to see that EZY at EDI had almost carried same no. monthly pax to KEF compared to long established FI KEF service from GLA and thats before WOW start.

LandingConfig
11th May 2016, 10:23
Excellent. Was interesting to see that EZY at EDI had almost carried same no. monthly pax to KEF compared to long established FI KEF service from GLA and thats before WOW start.
Yes, a massive increase suddenly - up 35% on March 2015. EDI-KEF saw a 96% load factor whilst GLA-KEF was around 76%.

On the other hand, Icelandair have premium economy, carry cargo and are generally much pricier than easyJet.

Wycombe
11th May 2016, 12:18
.....not forgetting that there is also now a KEF service from ABZ aswell!

Love Iceland, but the growth in flights from around the UK is nothing short of incredible over the last few years.

10 DME ARC
11th May 2016, 12:43
KEF - Is being marketed as a one stop cheap way to get to the US as well as a short stay holiday destination! Doing a DXB mid Atlantic!!

VickersVicount
13th May 2016, 13:05
Air France launching GLA-CDG in March 2016 with daily A318, morning departure
And now appears to be year round with same once daily service throughout although listed as EQV for aircraft so presume same mix of 318/9
Now just need twice daily for better connections

sinbad73
19th May 2016, 10:01
FR starting SOF-GLA on 07 September bringing forward the previous start date of end of October. SXF-GLA will also increase from 4 to 5 a week during September/October prior to going 6 weekly in November.

mwm991
19th May 2016, 14:19
Are there many Bulgarians in Glasgow/West of Scotland? There are far more Romanians and even Slovakians than I have expected. Lithuanians there seem to be a number of too in addition to the Poles.

Callum Paterson
26th May 2016, 09:03
This week has seen a quartet of new routes starting from GLA. Thomas Cook to Almeria, Barrhead Travel/ BACF charter to Genoa, Flybe to Newquay and Air Transat to Montreal.

Callum Paterson
29th May 2016, 09:17
777 operating one of today's BA LHR-GLA-LHR services.

Callum Paterson
3rd Jun 2016, 03:39
AeroMexico has further expanded codeshare partnership with KLM, as it launched its own Mexico City – Amsterdam service last week (28MAY16). The expanded codeshare service sees AM code being placed on Amsterdam-Glasgow-Amsterdam flights.

billyg
7th Jun 2016, 12:57
From next spring. No brainer.

CabinCrewe
7th Jun 2016, 14:45
Nice new option but I would have slight concerns about North East US over capacity in the summer rather than it being a 'no brainer'. Suspect US/AA to PHL will be first to go...

A350Saltire
7th Jun 2016, 15:58
AA/US will need to up their game with their TATL 757s as they have the weakest onboard product by far.

gopaisleygo
7th Jun 2016, 18:14
Delta heads n toes above UA or AA product wise, great news for GLA, good conx too. Seems to be looking year round 2018

VickersVicount
7th Jun 2016, 18:15
It has been confirmed from source that new DL JFK is indeed summer only with last flight westbound Thur 28th Sept 2017.

CabinCrewe
7th Jun 2016, 18:23
Looks like the BH A330 was just a sub for tech A320, nothing more.
AC Rouge looking good so far with seat maps similar density this far out as other UK routes, prices even a little more than elswhere. AC know GLA inside out.

LandingConfig
7th Jun 2016, 22:19
Looks like the BH A330 was just a sub for tech A320, nothing more.
Yes, it's been flying to EMA and EDI as well, doubt it's going full, still early in the season too.

Callum Paterson
17th Jun 2016, 15:06
Great news regarding Delta adding JFK. Competition on the New York route is long overdue.

In other news Balkan Holiday has commenced operations from Glasgow to Varna, the airlines second route from GLA and the airports third Bulgarian route.

Air Canada has commenced its new Glasgow to Toronto service with flights now available three times per week. This competes against Air Transat's existing 5x weekly schedule.

Glasgow Airport is now I believe, one of only two airports in Europe to host all of North Americas transatlantic flying airlines. Air Canada, Air Transat, WestJet, American Airlines, Delta and United. Dublin of course being the only other European airport to host all these carriers.

edi_local
17th Jun 2016, 16:47
Great news regarding Delta adding JFK. Competition on the New York route is long overdue.

In other news Balkan Holiday has commenced operations from Glasgow to Varna, the airlines second route from GLA and the airports third Bulgarian route.

Air Canada has commenced its new Glasgow to Toronto service with flights now available three times per week. This competes against Air Transat's existing 5x weekly schedule.

Glasgow Airport is now I believe, one of only two airports in Europe to host all of North Americas transatlantic flying airlines. Air Canada, Air Transat, WestJet, American Airlines, Delta and United. Dublin of course being the only other European airport to host all these carriers.
That's only true if you discount some North American carriers as neither Aero Mexico nor Cubana fly to DUB or GLA.

Firstaid
17th Jun 2016, 18:42
That's only true if you discount some North American carriers as neither Aero Mexico nor Cubana fly to DUB or GLA.

Well it's all the North American and Canadian ones which is still a great status.

LFT
17th Jun 2016, 20:53
Quite a prestigious collection actually, well done Glasgow International Airport management team for securing these airlines.

VickersVicount
17th Jun 2016, 22:19
I think Glasgow won Scottish Airport of the Year for second consecutive year which is great. Presumably customer satisfaction, slick security and absence of cramped queues etc accounting for a big proportion plus all the high profile recent gains and expansions

ELondonPax
18th Jun 2016, 12:17
All N American carriers? London (using code LON as the definition) qualifies too.

Callum Paterson
18th Jun 2016, 12:32
Not at one individual airport, as is the case with Glasgow and Dublin. :)

canberra97
18th Jun 2016, 16:56
ELondonPax

LON, Well I think you know full well that doesn't count.

As Callum points out its at one individual airport!

VickersVicount
20th Jun 2016, 17:39
AF extended into W16/17 albeit reduced schedule at this stage

LandingConfig
21st Jun 2016, 21:39
Was put on sale daily a few months ago.

VickersVicount
21st Jun 2016, 22:23
Its not daily W17 unless you know otherwise? Check the schedules 'at this stage'

A350Saltire
21st Jun 2016, 22:53
It was on sale daily during the Winter but for whatever reason they have reduced it since which is disappointing.

GrahamK
22nd Jun 2016, 06:42
A350Saltire is correct, it was released as a daily flight 2 or 3 weeks back and has now been reduced.

LandingConfig
22nd Jun 2016, 10:25
Yes, should have said that it was initially daily before being reduced. May well change however, I really don't know.

Callum Paterson
26th Jun 2016, 19:16
BA 787 Dreamliner operating from LHR this evening.

VickersVicount
1st Jul 2016, 16:24
TCX Egypt revisions
http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/267720/thomas-cook-adds-glasgow-egypt-routes-in-17q1/

XSBaggage
4th Jul 2016, 14:04
Does anyone know if Wizz are stopping their GLA-VNO route? I can't find any flights beyond the end of July on Wizz's website, but I can't seem to find any news of it stopping either.

LandingConfig
4th Jul 2016, 15:46
Does anyone know if Wizz are stopping their GLA-VNO route? I can't find any flights beyond the end of July on Wizz's website, but I can't seem to find any news of it stopping either.
Yes, ends 31st July.

VickersVicount
4th Jul 2016, 16:42
and wont be the last Wizz 'readjustment' to the UK and GLA, I understand. Although VNO was planned to be canned before.

XSBaggage
4th Jul 2016, 16:58
That is disappointing. But not too much damage from GLA's point of view. I just was looking forward to taking advantage of the route! Thanks for the confirmation.

deecie
5th Jul 2016, 10:20
It's hardly surprising, they won't have been making any money the fares they were charging. Bizarrely it's a route that might actually work better from Aberdeen.

VickersVicount
5th Jul 2016, 10:47
interesting to see if Blue stays on Bucharest, this is another one I dont see surviving.

LandingConfig
5th Jul 2016, 12:56
interesting to see if Blue stays on Bucharest, this is another one I dont see surviving.
Based on what?

gopaisleygo
5th Jul 2016, 13:33
Sadly, agree with VV re Blue Air, loads are woeful unfortunately and they have no presence on the ground in the local marketplace to promote. GLA marketing team not doing much to push it either

mwm991
5th Jul 2016, 14:58
Hard to see the non Polish eastern euro routes surviving post brexit.

j636
5th Jul 2016, 15:03
Hard to see the non Polish eastern euro routes surviving post brexit.

Why are all Europeans going to pack their bags and leave or those who stay never ever going to leave the UK to visit home again?

Don't get me wrong some won't but there will always be demand for Eastern Europe flights. That's also not forgetting that there will be lots of Europeans allowed into the UK even if controlled as the UK have no choice in the matter unless they want to cut themselves out of the single market.

mwm991
5th Jul 2016, 15:37
The same numbers aren't going to come as previous even if there is still movement but it won't be as easy. I foresee service cuts or complete cancellations. Bucharest will struggle to survive for one I feel due to the short window between Romania joining the EU and Britain leaving. Riga and Sofia possibly as well.

XSBaggage
6th Jul 2016, 07:12
I think Riga will survive - it seems to be used by people from all over the three Baltic states (possibly the reason Wizz had trouble breaking into the market with the Vilnius flights). I think these flights are all about reputation, a bit like flights to islands. Once a reputation is built up it is hard to compete. Anecdotally, I have a Romanian friend who isn't a big fan of Wizz but refuses to use Blue Air due to their poor reputation for reliability. Doesn't help, along with the other issues mentioned above. Does anyone know how the Wizz loads are to OTP?

VickersVicount
18th Jul 2016, 21:22
are some imternational flights using the one of the 'domestic' (once international) piers again ? Do they board directly or are they bussed from a high imternational gate. I know theoretically any gate be used for anything now.

Callum Paterson
18th Jul 2016, 21:36
You've answered you own question. Flights to any destination can depart from any gate so of course no need for busses.

Busses are only needed for arrivals. International arriving passengers at the east pier will be bussed to international arrivals.

I've flown to Africa from the east pier (wrongly known as a domestic pier) and to London from the west pier (wrongly refered to as the international pier).

What confuses me is why people seem confused by this? It's hardly new. GLA has been operating this way since the 'new' centralised security search area opened more than a few years ago.

ScotsSLF
18th Jul 2016, 22:06
The east pier amd central pier are known as domestic piers as they feed into domestic baggae reclaim. Similarlybthecwest pier is known as the internaltional pier as it emds at International arrvals baggage reclaim. Flew to Belfast recently from the internationsl pier and red at the domestic pier after arrving from Faro. Bussed to the nternational pier to collect bags. It all depends where the aircraft's lasr flight was from or heading to - or something like that!

Skipness One Echo
19th Jul 2016, 01:46
I thought that departing internationally from the domestic pier (it always will be, deal with it) was a more recent thing? Issues only arise on arrivals as international flights need access to passport control. Big fine if they park on a domestic gate and exit via the airbridge, it's not unknown!

CabinCrewe
25th Jul 2016, 21:24
Air Transat -Montreal dropped for S17 (could have told them that would never work) , YYZ 4x week increasing to 5x week high summer then back to 1x week for W17. So Air Canada and WestJet all holding their own which is good to see.

mwm991
26th Jul 2016, 03:04
Was inevitable. No business, cultural or any sort of obvious link existed which would have told you the route could work. YYZ on the other hand has been a long term strength.

Be interesting to see what the s17 FR schedule brings. More bucket and spade already on the go at Prestwick I'd imagine.

LandingConfig
26th Jul 2016, 15:40
Air Transat -Montreal dropped for S17 (could have told them that would never work) , YYZ 4x week increasing to 5x week high summer then back to 1x week for W17. So Air Canada and WestJet all holding their own which is good to see.
YYZ is 5x weekly this summer and the same last summer.

CabinCrewe
26th Jul 2016, 16:02
....hence everyone holding their own. Was it 4 weekly to start this summer or last?

VickersVicount
26th Jul 2016, 16:11
UA to EWR delayed due to electruc storms on eastern seaboard earlier, multiple UK delays amd cancellations to get back on schedule. Some amazing heat in US just now.

LandingConfig
26th Jul 2016, 16:49
....hence everyone holding their own. Was it 4 weekly to start this summer or last?
4x weekly in May, is that what you mean? It's 5x weekly for the most part.

gopaisleygo
5th Aug 2016, 13:43
First inbound charter arrives at 5.30pm.

Callum Paterson
5th Aug 2016, 18:05
Korean Air today commenced it's new Seoul to Glasgow service. Never thought I'd be saying such a thing! :)

ronnoc1k8
5th Aug 2016, 18:25
HL8212 operated the flight today, it is in the Skyteam livery. The flight number is KAL9919/20.

CabinCrewe
5th Aug 2016, 20:38
its amazing when you start to complain they sent the Skyteam A330 and not the better known baby blue standard colour. Great to see even if it is just a short one off charter series. Cant honestly see this leading to more. What happened to the odds on Scotland China link often harped about?

canberra97
7th Aug 2016, 16:51
CabinCrew

Why did you find it 'amazing' he was starting to 'complain' it was in Skyteam livery? He was just stating the fact that the first Korean Air flight was in Skyteam livery it didn't look like he was complaining to me!

The poster gave the flight numbers, aircraft registration and details such as it was in Skyteam livery, where did you see any complaining?

CabinCrewe
7th Aug 2016, 17:08
calm down...I was the one complaining they never sent the blue one. As youve missed the point- the suggestion was its amazing we are discussing the colour of the plane never mind the fact we are fortunate enough to have the flight at all.

canberra97
7th Aug 2016, 21:24
Well you didn't actually word it right did you, that's why I responded as I did as it seemed like you were making out he was complaining.

hamish88
8th Aug 2016, 19:47
Do you think Lufthansa will add more regular Munich flights? 1x weekly is pretty useless and I find myself having to fly from Edinburgh instead of GLA because easyjet run more regular flights :( I think that regular flights would work well.

VickersVicount
9th Aug 2016, 19:39
Dusseldorf with Eurowings hasnt exactly set the heather alight, and Munich on their once weekly (presumably aimed at inbound) only runs 70% full, so cant see them massively expanding. FRA is where its at- and should be the priority.

LandingConfig
10th Aug 2016, 09:39
What makes you say that about Eurowings? A 6x weekly service suggests otherwise, soon to be an A320/CRJ9 mix.

Lufthansa MUC does well considering it's a once weekly flight on a Saturday.

XSBaggage
10th Aug 2016, 11:30
I've been a bit confused what the DUS flight is about, whether it is aimed at connecting pax or just point-to-point traffic.

Most connections only work well one way with the lack of an evening flight a big minus.

With Eurowings to CGN and Ryanair to NRN from EDI, it looks like most of that Rhine-Ruhr area's point to point traffic from Central Scotland is catered for.

XSB

VickersVicount
10th Aug 2016, 19:56
....the fact DUS is only 6x week and not daily and its only being upgraded in aircraft size due to fleet changes (it could have been upgraded before but wasnt) and often carries only 60% loads. Not exactly due an upgrade IMO.

MichaelOLearyGenius
10th Aug 2016, 20:13
FR moving some more sunshine routes from PIK to GLA, is the writing on the wall for PIK?

james170969
10th Aug 2016, 20:59
Which sunshine routes are getting transferred to Glasgow? I've not heard anything recently.

LandingConfig
10th Aug 2016, 22:08
....the fact DUS is only 6x week and not daily and its only being upgraded in aircraft size due to fleet changes (it could have been upgraded before but wasnt) and often carries only 60% loads. Not exactly due an upgrade IMO.
Only 6x weekly? That's excellent in my book. Granted they're replacing the fleet but some destinations are being dropped or cut as a result. All the other UK destinations are still on the CRJ-900, and will subsequently switch to the A320 like GLA.

It's good news for pax; more cabin space allowing larger hand luggage allowance (German flights are popular with pax travelling around Europe and often carry large rucksacks) and no more hand luggage in the hold, thus boosting the service further.

I do agree with you re FRA however.

Ringwayman
11th Aug 2016, 06:12
Ermm.. yep, it's only CRJ9s for the rest of DUS-UK. If we ignore the the A320s that appear on DUS-MAN.

XSBaggage
11th Aug 2016, 12:43
Yes, I haven't heard anything about FR transferring routes from PIK to GLA. They are starting some additional sunshine routes from GLA that duplicate PIK's destinations, but I believe PIK is due to have a (slightly) busier schedule W16/17 than in previous years.

LandingConfig
11th Aug 2016, 13:40
Ermm.. yep, it's only CRJ9s for the rest of DUS-UK. If we ignore the the A320s that appear on DUS-MAN.
There are still some CRJ's on the MAN route as well though, correct?

pwalhx
11th Aug 2016, 13:53
There are, but also there are 17 flights a week rather than 6

LandingConfig
11th Aug 2016, 13:56
I stand corrected.

Regardless, the majority of the UK routes are on the CRJ.

FQTLSteve
11th Aug 2016, 14:46
I stand corrected.

Regardless, the majority of the UK routes are on the CRJ.

A320's often used on BHX too on similar frequency as MAN.

firstchoice7e7
11th Aug 2016, 17:58
Havent seen this mentioned ...

Rumblings of a A380 or a third daily on the DXB-GLA route......

https://www.businesstraveller.com/airlines/2016/08/11/emirates-a380-serve-glasgow/

HH6702
11th Aug 2016, 18:18
Be nice to see the A380 into GLA.
Would also free up a 777 allowing NCL to become 2x daily.

However 3x daily will offer much better connections and maybe better choice offering compared to the EY, QR along at EDI.

OltonPete
11th Aug 2016, 19:04
HH6702/firstchoice7e7

Emirates have not found it easy with all their third flights and Glasgow doesn't fill two at the moment.

Per the CAA figures, 2015 was 429602 pax & 2014 424561 pax - 1460 flights which is 294 per flight or 82%. That is a pretty small increase and I realise the QR & EY at EDI has affected the Scottish market. Maybe another reason why any increase if any should come via an A380 rather than a third flight.

Manchester can't get a 4th flight despite load factors often over 90% going down the all A380 route first and BHX has needed some juggling of their A380 service, as the morning flight is still growing at a very slow rate.

Rome has lost or is losing its morning flight and Lisbon is going back to daily indicating Emirates are getting a bit more ruthless.

If the 380 is on offer in exchange for some stand enhancements I would snap their hand off.

Pete

sdh2903
11th Aug 2016, 19:55
God I hope not. The place came to a complete halt the last time it was in it was complete chaos. Last week there was 3 airbridges u/s the rest are creaking hulks of rust. Half the stands don't have a reliable fixed ground power. Both the west campus and drop off areas are dug up and a mess. Place is in need of a huge infrastructure overhaul before the big pig starts coming in.

Callum Paterson
11th Aug 2016, 19:57
Over 1 million passengers in July.

LandingConfig
11th Aug 2016, 20:08
Per the CAA figures, 2015 was 429602 pax & 2014 424561 pax - 1460 flights which is 294 per flight or 82%. That is a pretty small increase and I realise the QR & EY at EDI has affected the Scottish market. Maybe another reason why any increase if any should come via an A380 rather than a third flight.

My understanding is that the 2016 increase so far has been better.

82% is excellent for a yearly average, considering May traditionally drops drastically and July and August happily sees both flights full every day.

OltonPete
11th Aug 2016, 21:19
LandingConfig

I agree 82& over a 12 month period for sheers numbers (Forgetting yield) is really good but it is usually 90% plus when EK increase although there have been some exceptions such as QR announcing BHX and a few years back when QR and EY expanded at Manchester.

The reported stats thus far for 2016 (Source: CAA) make grim reading every month down in the first third of the year although load factors have maintained as the decrease has been quite small.

January...2016..36291.....2015...38005......2016 avg...293.....81%
February 2016..33396.....2015...34536......2016 avg...288....80%
March.....2016..37191.....2015...38058......2016 avg...300....83%
April......2016...36059.....2015...36295.....2016 avg....300....83%
Total.............142937......2015.146894.....2016 avg....295....82%

Only 3427 fewer pax compared to 2015 and load factor has remained steady and if things have improved in the last 3 months that is impressive as May and June are difficult months although the Scottish holidays temper some of that.

Pete

LandingConfig
12th Aug 2016, 15:35
Such exceptions exist in these circumstances too - QR launched EDI in 2014 and EY in 2015.

Another thing to consider is cargo, it's massive ex GLA and excess freight is often sent to NCL and MAN (the latter going all A380 thus reducing cargo capacity).

ronnoc1k8
12th Aug 2016, 16:01
Korean Airlines 2nd flight is now descending in to Glasgow, it's operated by HL8227 which is in the current Korean livery.

canberra97
12th Aug 2016, 21:05
CabinCrew will be happy then :-)

Skipness One Echo
12th Aug 2016, 22:28
Emirates SkyCargo poached by PIK if they put the A388 through GLA perhaps? That would be a first going the other way (!)

sf01
12th Aug 2016, 22:33
Not likely.

If they wanted to put a Cargo flight on it would most likely be to GLA. DNATA has a fairly large cargo terminal at GLA already, a cargo stand and the equipment for loading would be required but that's about it.

Maybe they could get it in the cheap if PIK closes.

Skipness One Echo
13th Aug 2016, 02:23
GLA has a cargo stand that can take a B777? Surely 38 is the one and only stand option open to them? I wasn't being too serious btw :)

I doubt management at PIK would manage to make the deal (!)

EK77WNCL
13th Aug 2016, 03:40
It is rather sad to see GLA losing out on EK passengers, the A380 could prove a draw for some passengers though, maybe attract some over instead of the 787/A330 at EDI... But probably not too many to keep it full

I'm sure numbers will come up eventually as the dust settles, but Jan-April doesn't make for good reading at all :/

When did GLA go 2 daily?

HH6702, yes, it would however it wouldn't free up a 777 at the right time of day, we'd need it for the night shift (arr NCL around 19:00 dep around 21:00) but it would more than likely be the midday GLA flight that went A380... Although Birmingham has shown that perhaps the evening flight might be the more popular

I'd also hesitantly say that NCL would be better off with a 77L than a 77W, sorry to thread drift!

Callum Paterson
13th Aug 2016, 06:21
What is GLA losing out on? :/ The rote is hardly in decline. At worst it has been flat on growth however fares have remained consistent and loads in the front two cabins have remained consistent. And GLA's lead in/ base fare is still higher than all other UK EK departure points.

EK aren't worried about EY and QR in Scotland and not should they be when you look at how heavily they are having to discount, coupled with below average loads.

I don't think those leading EK need a few spotters to tell them if a route is worthy of more capacity or not. If EK say a GLA A380 is just a matter of time, I'll take their word for that.

LandingConfig
13th Aug 2016, 16:18
It is rather sad to see GLA losing out on EK passengers, the A380 could prove a draw for some passengers though, maybe attract some over instead of the 787/A330 at EDI... But probably not too many to keep it full

I'm sure numbers will come up eventually as the dust settles, but Jan-April doesn't make for good reading at all :/

When did GLA go 2 daily?

HH6702, yes, it would however it wouldn't free up a 777 at the right time of day, we'd need it for the night shift (arr NCL around 19:00 dep around 21:00) but it would more than likely be the midday GLA flight that went A380... Although Birmingham has shown that perhaps the evening flight might be the more popular

I'd also hesitantly say that NCL would be better off with a 77L than a 77W, sorry to thread drift!

Your post suggests that the figures have been poor, which is far from the case, so I don't really understand what you mean in your post.

Like the above poster said, there have been minor decreases (a few % at most) which is very much likely due to EY entering the market last year.

GLA went twice daily in June 2012.

737aviator
14th Aug 2016, 18:46
Substantial cuts on the FR STN services for the winter schedule; is this a new change? 10 less departures (20 rotations) per week it looks like and Saturday is looking rather sparse! And Bydgoszcz suspended?

VickersVicount
14th Aug 2016, 19:50
announced some time ago and STN cuts not unique to GLA. Bound to be some eastern euro consolidation. Cant see anyone losing any sleep over these winter reductions.

Callum Paterson
14th Aug 2016, 20:03
Bydgoszcz is cut due to a dispute between Ryanair and the airport. Many Ryanair routes from the Polish city are being cut. Glasgow is picking up Brussels as a replacement so no cut in capacity.

STN is cut by 7 departures a week, I believe, not 10. But again this is part of much wider cuts to the STN network. EDI will see similar scale cut backs.

Ryanair will launch Alicante, Malaga, Gran Canaria, Lanzarote and Sofia this winter from GLA so despite the cut to STN, still a substantial overall increase. Plus Wizz Air will have more flights to EE this winter compared to last.

LandingConfig
14th Aug 2016, 20:05
STN reduced from both GLA and EDI.

Yes, BZG has been dropped and replaced with CRL. Also starting is ACE, LPA, ALC, AGP and SOF plus an increase on SXF however so still a substantial increase.

Callum Paterson
18th Aug 2016, 21:28
Korean Air is now on sale for 2017 with a much increased program. Operating for over 2 months next summer.

willy wombat
19th Aug 2016, 10:20
Korean is a great result for GLA. Out of interest, given that my default assumption is that an operation like this would go to EDI, does anyone have the inside track as to why GLA got it? Better facilities, field performance for non-stop flight to SEL or just great work by the GLA team?

Callum Paterson
19th Aug 2016, 10:33
Let me flip that question. Why not Glasgow? Glasgow as a city is a very popular tourist destination in its own right. The behavior of Korean tourists in Scotland will be similar to when Brits visit Asia in that very few will be visiting just one place. GLA is perfectly placed as the gateway to Loch Lomond (which is very popular with Asian, Middle Eastern and North Americans) as well as the highlands and islands. You can be on the "highland" railway within under an hour after landing at GLA. GLA is without question the best placed airport in Scotland for visitors coming to see Scotland's scenery.

Nobody is going to sit on an aircraft for 14 hours to fly to Scotland just to visit one city. So this business was as much GLA's to win as anyone else's.

And with the service appearing to be such a success clearly Korean Air and the associated tour operator made the right decision.

LandingConfig
19th Aug 2016, 10:39
Better facilities, field performance for non-stop flight to SEL or just great work by the GLA team?

Presumably all three.

willy wombat
19th Aug 2016, 11:42
Callum, I take your point but as a Scot based in SE England with no airport axe to grind (other than my frequent complaints re EDI's poor facilities which I am forced to endure regularly) I suppose that, even though I am originally from the West Coast, so much of what is rumoured about new Scottish services eg China flights, revolves round EDI and also there seems to be a general assumption that, at least as far as Americans are concerned, the only places in the UK they want to visit are London and Edinburgh. More power to GLA's elbow - maybe Korean's success will encourage more Far East ops.

deecie
19th Aug 2016, 11:57
Overlooking Inverness being better placed for Scotland's scenery, will there be the opportunity to book GLA-ICN-GLA in 2017?

Richard Taylor
19th Aug 2016, 14:02
Good to see the Scottish Central Belt powering ahead...... :E

Morus193
19th Aug 2016, 15:09
Will the Korean flight be available to book through Skyscanner or only through the tour operator?

Callum Paterson
19th Aug 2016, 16:06
Tour operator exclusive.

farci
20th Aug 2016, 12:52
Good to see the Scottish Central Belt powering ahead...... http://cdn.pprune.org/images/smilies/evil.gif
If Scotland is a vacation destination the choice of GLA or EDI is moot because good quality onward connections will probably be the key. After all if you just flew 8000km from Korea the choice of two airports 60km apart is irrelevant.

Of course a new Glasgow Airport heavy rail link with the rest of Scotland wouldn't hurt. Just sayin'...

Callum Paterson
3rd Sep 2016, 13:50
Blue Air increasing Glasgow-Bucharest with a third weekly flight. Five flights a week in total on this route with Wizz Air flying twice weekly.

Flightrider
5th Sep 2016, 22:45
Although it may be slightly off topic, it is heartening to see the memorial to the Airtours crew who lost their lives in the 1999 accident at Glasgow being so well tended. I appreciate the anniversary of this sad event has dawned once again over the weekend, but this is a constant throughout the year. I assume that it is a reflection of their individual involvement or loss in this accident, but whoever takes the time to ensure that the memorial on the approach road to the terminal is cared for on a regular basis throughout the year should be commended for their efforts. If you're reading this, it doesn't go unnoticed by others who have no direct connection yet recognise your work.

goldeneye
6th Sep 2016, 12:19
Flightrider

The Memorial is looked after by Thomas Cook Airlines staff based at Glasgow.

LandingConfig
7th Sep 2016, 09:15
Ryanair to Lisbon, Valencia, Zadar and Palanga all commence 2x weekly in S17. Timetable shows two based aircraft from next year.

FRatSTN
7th Sep 2016, 09:34
Glasgow Intl
- 4 new routes to Lisbon (2 wkly), Palanga (2 wkly), Valencia (2 wkly) & Zadar (2 wkly)
- 6 new summer routes to Alicante (3 wkly), Brussels (2 wkly), Gran Canaria (1 wkly), Lanzarote (2 wkly), Malaga (4 wkly) & Sofia (2 wkly)
- More frequency to Berlin (6 wkly)
- 20 routes in total
- 1.25m customers p.a. (+150,000)
- 900* “on-site” jobs p.a.

Glasgow Prestwick
- New route to Barcelona Girona (2 wkly)
- More frequency to Ibiza (4 wkly), Palma (6 wkly) & Tenerife (6 wkly)
- 17 routes in total
- 750,000 customers p.a. (+150,000)
- 550* “on-site” jobs p.a.

Callum Paterson
8th Sep 2016, 09:51
The inaugural Ryanair flight to Sofia went out last night. Almost unnoticed with the news of 11 new Ryanair routes for summer 17.

goldeneye
7th Oct 2016, 06:45
Anyone know the reason AF use an A318 for the CDG.

Why not use one of the HOP or Cityjrt regional jets like they do for EDI/ABZ/NCL. Maybe add a second evening service.

Are the loads good on the route ?

A350Saltire
7th Oct 2016, 09:31
Anyone know the reason AF use an A318 for the CDG.

Why not use one of the HOP or Cityjrt regional jets like they do for EDI/ABZ/NCL. Maybe add a second evening service.

Are the loads good on the route ?

It's a single daily A318 as opposed to the multiple E190s daily at the other airports.

I think the GLA service is only seasonal too but I could be wrong.

willy wombat
7th Oct 2016, 09:37
Anyone know how the Westjet, AC Rouge, Air Transat ops are doing?

sinbad73
7th Oct 2016, 11:26
It's a single daily A318 as opposed to the multiple E190s daily at the other airports.

I think the GLA service is only seasonal too but I could be wrong.
AF GLA-CDG is year round.

A350Saltire
7th Oct 2016, 12:04
AF GLA-CDG is year round.

Yes you are right, my mistake. It drops to 4 per week in the winter.

Callum Paterson
7th Oct 2016, 19:01
I'd assume loads are pretty good as it's not uncommon to see AF deploying the A319 and A320 on GLA-CDG.

A350Saltire
7th Oct 2016, 19:09
I'd assume loads are pretty good as it's not uncommon to see AF deploying the A319 and A320 on GLA-CDG.

Or just operational reasons...

VickersVicount
7th Oct 2016, 20:13
...yes a bit like the Etihad Airbus Scottish visit.
The frequency of the upgrade to AF A320 would suggest less likely operational.

A350Saltire
7th Oct 2016, 21:37
...yes a bit like the Etihad Airbus Scottish visit.
The frequency of the upgrade to AF A320 would suggest less likely operational.

You would think AF would up the frequency then? It's only going to be 4 per week during the winter.

Callum Paterson
7th Oct 2016, 21:44
Only? It was planned to be a seasonal service. So really it has increased by 4 weekly addional flights over what was planned.

It really is embarrassing pathetic the way some people hold grudges against airports. I wonder if bus spotters get their blood pressure through the roof because another station miles away gets a couple of extra weekly services? Absaloute weirdos.

A350Saltire
7th Oct 2016, 21:56
Only? It was planned to be a seasonal service. So really it has increased by 4 weekly addional flights over what was planned.

It really is embarrassing pathetic the way some people hold grudges against airports. I wonder if bus spotters get their blood pressure through the roof because another station miles away gets a couple of extra weekly services? Absaloute weirdos.

No grudges here, GLA is a great airport that has made some great strides recently. It's ok to be realistic sometimes though!

I've seen your posts in other forums re GLA and EDI - far be it from me to point out that you are maybe being a wee bit hypocritical.

Callum Paterson
7th Oct 2016, 22:00
Being realistic AF scheduled a daily summer seasonal A318 on GLA-CDG. Since launch the A319 and A320 has been a frequent visitor to GLA on this route. And since then AF has decided to convert the planned seasonal service to a year-round operation.

Realistic facts.

As for your fanboy comments. Nobody in the big bad world of sane adults cares. If you want to discuss EDI or other airports take it to the relevant forums. The GLA obsession for the East really is tedious. Let that be the end of it and leave the discussion to the grown ups and those of who arent driven to depression by a routes success.

A350Saltire
7th Oct 2016, 22:10
Being realistic AF scheduled a daily summer seasonal A318 on GLA-CDG. Since launch the A319 and A320 has been a frequent visitor to GLA on this route. And since then AF has decided to convert the planned seasonal service to a year-round operation.

Realistic facts.

As for your fanboy comments. Nobody in the big bad world of sane adults cares. If you want to discuss EDI or other airports take it to the relevant forums. The GLA obsession for the East really is tedious. Let that be the end of it and leave the discussion to the grown ups and those of who arent driven to depression by a routes success.

We were discussing GLA here on the GLA forum though until you threw your toys out of the pram as usual so I suggest you take a breath and calm down.