PDA

View Full Version : Power socket at every seat... possible ?

davidjohnson6
26th Oct 2015, 19:36
In much of the world, smartphones are owned by a high proportion of the population.

What would it take for the average airline withat least 10 aircraft each having 150 or more seats to install power points at every seat (not just premium classes) and wired to be able to support a smartphone or laptop ? Of course there would have to be some limiter in circuits to prevent a device drawing large amounts of current that would present a clear fire risk.

Is it a mix of apathy and reluctance to spend cash ? Lack of aircraft manufacturer certification ? Fire risk ? Or something else ?

HeartyMeatballs
26th Oct 2015, 19:53
This was brought up recently on a thread about streaming content and the lack of at seat power. When you consider BA, LH, U2, FR, MON and WN all have new cabins and none feature at seat power it would seem that we are a long way off having widespread at seat power on short haul.

I would think it's because there's very little revenue gain to be had. I junk SCOOT charge for power access but I still can't see it being much of a money spinner. I know it's a train but OUIGO charge extra for seats with power on french domestic routes. So there is a revenue gain to be had. Wether it covers the cost of installing, maintaining and administering the system and could make a profit, I honestly don't know.

As for long haul, if there's already IFE and the infrastructure is there then surely it wouldn't take too much to install at least a USB.

obgraham
26th Oct 2015, 21:43
Pretty much routine on Alaska Airlines!

PAXboy
26th Oct 2015, 22:35
My cynical view is that, since this started as being an F and C class special, they are reluctant to now supply all.

Also, to be fair, the real world moves very much faster than the commissioning of a new interior design, it's build and roll out. Leave alone retro fit seating on a D-check.

We may perhaps expect (as per Alaska) that the small carriers can move faster and have more reason to do so.

Airports have the same problem. I recall the last time I went through MUC (about two years ago) in the new Lufty dedicated terminal - no power sockets, nothing in acres of space. Then I went through LGW last year and found 'perch' tables for you to put your lappie or phone on and power sockets with international sockets and (if I recall correctly) USB for free.

Metro man
26th Oct 2015, 22:47
A lot of inflight entertainment systems have a USB socket which will charge a phone but not an iPad.

I carry a spare power pack and top off my electronics from that. I would rather have a charged iPhone and plug in the power pack at the airport than plug in the phone and forget it or have it stolen.

ExXB
27th Oct 2015, 07:59
A lot of inflight entertainment systems have a USB socket which will charge a phone but not an iPad.

Agree, they don't have the amps for an iPad, but one will charge very slowly. If you don't try and us it at the same time. Like while you are sleeping.

I believe AC has USB ports on all their long haul aircraft.

Thai Pom
27th Oct 2015, 08:10
The recent flight I took on a Malaysia Airlines 737-800 had USB as part of the IFE and a power socket between the seats. Economy Class

MarkerInbound
27th Oct 2015, 14:34
American's A321s, 737-800s and 787s have power outlets at every seat.

malcolm380
27th Oct 2015, 15:49
I just flew EWR-LHR on a UA 757 in PE and there was a power socket at each seat. Not sure if all of economy was the same.

paulc
28th Oct 2015, 19:50
Etithad have power sockets in each seat for A380 and 777 type (well the 1 flew on had it)

TightSlot
31st Oct 2015, 08:05
Be aware that some power outlets will provide 'life support' to maintain a battery, rather than the ability to fully charge.

The power supply (on some aircraft) actually moves around the cabin in seat blocks; you'll get power for a period of time, then it goes off, or is reduced, and moves elsewhere.

Worth pointing out ( Sadly, I expect to be flamed for this) that the power on board is not free. It has to come from somewhere and in this case, it is ultimately from the engines. The electrical power required on an A380 to charge 300+ laptops, iPads, phones etc for ten or more hours is not trivial, and combined with the weight of the associated wiring and sockets means that there is a very minor, but existing, fuel penalty. There is also an engineering and maintenance expense. Somebody has to pay for all that.

:)

Paul Wilson
1st Nov 2015, 15:29
Assuming a power factor of 1 (worst case) a 777 IDG supplies 120kW. 300 seat back units charging 300 phones/tablets/laptops at an assumed 5v and 2A requires 10W each. For 300 outlets that is 3kW, about 2 1/2% of the rated output of 1 IDG.
Total power consumption for journey 30kWh. There will be losses so let's say 50kWh. Assuming USA power pricing at a pessimistic 20c per kWh, that is about $1.00 worth of electricity. About 1/3 of a c each.

I hazard that the airline won't be thinking about the fuel cost of burning a couple of litres of extra jet fuel.

PAXboy
1st Nov 2015, 15:36
I think the cost problem is in the equiping and, expecially, re-equiping older machines. Also, many carriers already provide a universal power port or 110v US-style 2-pin. That is fine if you have your adapter with you (I always do!) but I can't see them changing those to incorporate USB power.

So we are likely to see a hapzard provision acorss the next 10/15 years. Soon it will be standard fit, in the same way that cars are now providing USB interface with power and often to the ICE as well.

TightSlot
1st Nov 2015, 15:46
Total power consumption for journey 30kWh. There will be losses so let's say 50kWh. Assuming USA power pricing at a pessimistic 20c per kWh, that is about $1.00 worth of electricity. About 1/3 of a c each.

I hazard that the airline won't be thinking about the fuel cost of burning a couple of litres of extra jet fuel.

Impressive maths, and thanks. Your expertise clearly exceeds mine :O Worth pointing out possibly that as a large Airline, United has 718 aircraft, each operating 3 sectors a day (conservative) , resulting in a global cost of, let's say $2,000 a day using your figures, giving an annual spend of $730K, before maintenance and installation costs, plus the weight of the wiring loom.
The point I'm trying to make is that it is not 'free' - It may be perceived as a low cost offering, but that is not actually completely accurate.

Paul Wilson
1st Nov 2015, 16:42
Absolutely agreed, I suppose the point is that fuel is the probably the lowest of the costs involved, in fact there may even be a net benefit fuel wise, as old tech individual screens probably draw more power than Joe Public charging his iPad. The real cost is changing the interior.
In ten years time, the real winners in the maintenance/cost scenario may be those airlines that say "screw the IFE, give them power and internet and let the customers worry about it themselves"
In the interim they can supply iPads or more probably cheapish android tablets to those customers that didn't bring their own.
If I was in charge of a big airlines IFE/cabin department I would be looking to move to that sort of system over the next 2-3 years for any new interiors, perhaps combined with a server shoving a couple of hundered films until in flight internet costs reduce.

PAXboy
1st Nov 2015, 19:49
Indeed, the high falutin' IFE systems are (almost certainly) already past their peak. It will be far cheaper to provide material for access via USB, using a tablet or SmartPhone. With a WEB front page and menu options as to what to see/listen to, it will be possible to change the systems very much faster than at present. As Paul Wilson says, the server hardware and absence of all the screens and heavier cabling will save weight.

As we have already read, the LCCs will lead the way with this. But it is going to be driven by the generational change of the pax.

James 1077
1st Nov 2015, 22:11
In ten years time, the real winners in the maintenance/cost scenario may be those airlines that say "screw the IFE, give them power and internet and let the customers worry about it themselves"
In the interim they can supply iPads or more probably cheapish android tablets to those customers that didn't bring their own.
If I was in charge of a big airlines IFE/cabin department I would be looking to move to that sort of system over the next 2-3 years for any new interiors, perhaps combined with a server shoving a couple of hundered films until in flight internet costs reduce.

Fly across the Tasman on Virgin Australia and this is precisely what they do. They have on-board wifi media server that is accessible through an iOS / Android app.

Bring your own device, launch the app, and watch their shows. They can even interrupt it for important announcements.

If you don't have a compatible device then they have some available for rent / included in some price packages.

Tray Surfer
1st Nov 2015, 22:49
I think it will steadily make its way into most airline cabins.

Despite what was stated above, for example, BA has power in all cabins on the A380, 787, 777-300 and refurbished 777-200 aircraft. One each in First, Club World, World Traveller Plus and in World Traveller there are 2 sockets per row of 3 seats and 3 per row of 4 seats.

So, they are being put in, but as a large capital outlay to install, only as part of new product embodiment, not just a "refresh".

wendyg
7th Nov 2015, 08:51
US Airways *had* power at every seat, and ripped it (and the IFE on domestic flights) out when the recession hit to save fuel - the electricity was, I believe, a trivial cost compared to the weight of the wiring.

wg