PDA

View Full Version : exesgussee mi frenche eh

Good ROC
18th Jun 2002, 17:40
Why does AF (and other frenchmen) and the french controlers talk french on the VHF. I believe it becomes a safety issue when you dont understand half the comunication going on. especially in approach areas and you dont know when they are done talking or when it becomes your turn to tx.

Captain Stable
18th Jun 2002, 17:56
I agree with you absolutely. So, for that matter, do Air France. Thay attempted to change to using Aeronautical English a while ago, but the attempt failed due partly to intransigence of the controllers, a very misplaced campaign to "Save the French Language" and the end result was a worsening of safety margins.

They intend to try again, but not for a while, and not without the support of the authorities and without a good chance of success.

TheMagus
18th Jun 2002, 22:10
A few years ago the findings of an in-depth study on language and aviation safety was presented to ECAC.
The findings showed that the problem of pilots not using a common language probably poses one of the greater threats to aviation safety and claimed that the wide use of french was a very real threat.

The study was made at Sorbonne...

HugMonster
18th Jun 2002, 22:49
If anyone is interested I have a Powerpoint presentation on the experiment with use of Aeronautical English in Mar-Apr 2000 by Air France. If you want it, email me with your address and I'll send it.

Techman
19th Jun 2002, 01:32
It is not only a problem in the air but also on the ground.
At CDG , which is not the best with regards to taxiway markings, there is plenty of scope of runway incursions etc, plus it is a real irritation factor, when airplanes are taxiyng with atleast one part not knowing what the other one is doing.

It is only national pride that is stopping the use of aviation english in France. Perhaps The EU can be helpfull?.

You'll find my email in my profile Hugmonster, so please send me the presentation.

HugMonster
19th Jun 2002, 07:47
email addresses aren't shown in profiles now - all I can do is have the vB software email you, and I can't add an attachment to that.

Techman
19th Jun 2002, 08:15
Try [email protected]

Techman
19th Jun 2002, 10:22
Thanks for the presentation Hugmonster.

HugMonster
19th Jun 2002, 15:46
YW! :)

BTW, I see that Michael O'Leary has compared PPRuNe to CHIRPS - high praise indeed! :p :cool:

Good ROC
20th Jun 2002, 08:32
I think I will go on a mission to get rid of all that non-understandable french on the VHF. I will select when I TX to the moment I think a frenchspeaking coleague is about to confirm hes/hers latest clearance. :mad: I dont speak any french so I just have to guess. I will be a lot of fun.

Does anybody want to join this crusade or do you think it is a stupid idea that will only make things more complicated. :D

411A
20th Jun 2002, 16:43
More complicated.

And, when did CDG become sooo difficult? And odd layout perhaps, but I personally have had no problems..from 1981.

As the French are NOT likely to change, perhaps learning a "little" of the language would be a good idea.

HotDog
21st Jun 2002, 05:10
411A, I flew with a captain who also thought he was better than any other. We nicknamed him FILM. Perhaps you should change your user name? :D