PDA

View Full Version : Withdrawn aerobatics approvals?

abgd
17th Oct 2015, 01:38
I often read that certain aircraft were approved for aerobatics, where this no longer seems possible.

e.g. the D31A is not on the LAA list of types approved for aerobatics, though I've read that it was at one time approved (at least the Rollasons D31As).

The Taylor Titch is often described as aerobatic, yet not on the LAA list of types approved for aerobatics. I'm uncertain whether formula v involves aerobatics.

Likewise the Taylor Mono is described as semi-aerobatic.

Are any of these aircraft cleared for some manoeuvres, yet not aerobatic enough to be on the LAA list?

'Chuffer' Dandridge
17th Oct 2015, 09:41
As far as i know, the only 2 pilots ever to attempt aerobatics in a Rollason built Turbulent (even a D31A) ended up dead. The structure isn't designed to take the loads, and predictably fails.

People should fly a Pitts Special if they want to turn themselves upside down:ok:

sharpend
17th Oct 2015, 11:53
Or a Bulldog....

Shaggy Sheep Driver
17th Oct 2015, 14:37
Or a Chippy, or Yak 52. :ok:

abgd
17th Oct 2015, 23:41
As I own a D31(with a sneaky 'A' on the tail, but a thin spar) perhaps I should emphasize I have no intention of aerobatting it!

But there are plenty of aircraft (Taylor Mono, Corby Starlet, Taylor Titch) that certainly do have spars strong enough for aerobatics and I believe some of them (e.g. Corby Starlet) are cleared for aerobatics with a decent safety record abroad.

Small Rodent Driver
18th Oct 2015, 03:42
Or a Chippy, or Yak 52.

Or a Jungmann :ok: