PDA

View Full Version : Cessna 337 for hire ?

Oscar Duece
18th Jun 2002, 16:10
Big fan of the Cessna 337, but a few more years before the bank balance will stretch to a decent example.

Does anyone know where I can get some hours in one anywhere in the UK. Hire, shares or whatever ?

:p :p

mattpilot
18th Jun 2002, 21:50
Tthats one ugly plane. You sure you want to buy something like that? :)

niknak
18th Jun 2002, 22:37
You'll be lucky to find one.
There seem to be very few examples in Europe, and a lot of "noise sensitive" aerodromes in the UK and Europe have banned them due to the racket they make.
If you want something with the same power, why not go for the C206 or Piper Seneca V?

Oscar Duece
19th Jun 2002, 12:51
Ugly, well I don't think so.

Yes there are not many about as there used to be, but I have seen at least five for sale recently in Uk and France.

Noise: From what poeple tell me this is not really an issue any more, as there are so few in the Uk, the odd visit wouldn't cause any upset. Beside they are only as noisy as a larger twin and much less than a basic light helicopter that can be found at a good few quite coutry airfields.

As for alternatives ? Seneca V, you must be joking. Currently available 337's (non turbo) with full ifr fit etc. mid times engines and good p & i can be had for 40 K. Seneca V ? try double that, plus.

So still looking that info..........

:D :D :D

eyeinthesky
19th Jun 2002, 16:00
I think you might find a Seneca V is in excess of £200k!

I remember seeing that some airfields in Pooley's specifically EXCLUDE 337s from landing (or departing, more like!) at their airfield due noise.

There was a 337 at Lt Staughton a few years back which was used for aerial photography but I don't know whether it was available for hire.

There also used to be one at Bourn, but that may have gone.

Stan Evil
19th Jun 2002, 19:47
If you want to track down the UK registered 337s then use the CAAs G-INFO database. It'll give you the owners address and whether it's Transport (pax) or private category.

http://www.caa.co.uk/srg/aircraft_register/ginfo/search.asp

poetpilot
20th Jun 2002, 12:03
As I recall, the 336/337 WAS substantially noisier than most twins. When I was (a lot) younger, a 337 used to operate around the Leavesden/Luton area, and you could hear it coming for ages (and hear it going for a similar period too.

Similar sound was the old Piaggio twin pusher..... did the noise have something to do with pusher props then ????

I did have the pleasure of flying one from New Jersey to Rhode Island & back (with diversion along the Hudson river to see NY) back in the 80s though. Great fun, lots of power, and not as noisy inside as outside. The takeoff routine was: open up on the rear engine first (to avoid FOD from the front engine propwash) and get moving before you open the front up. Once the second engine came in, it really accelerated.....

BRL
20th Jun 2002, 12:24
What does this Cessna look like?:confused:

treadigraph
20th Jun 2002, 12:36
The 337 defintely seems quite noisy compared with other twins, I always thought it was something to do with the wash from the front fan going through the rear prop... Contra rotating props make quite a good noise as well, remember the Shack?

Wonder if the Moynet Jupiter, the Do335 or the Rutan Defiant had the same problem?

As I recall 337s were banned from Elstree (while Biggin banned the Harvard...)

I wouldn't call it ugly though...

Nopax,thanx
20th Jun 2002, 12:48
definitely not ugly in these colours...........

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/242779/M/

...quite liked the old pushmepullyou, really - used to fix G-ATCU at Cambridge. Is she still going?

treadigraph
20th Jun 2002, 16:13
NoPax,

According to G-INFO, 'TCU is indeed still going strong at Cambridge, CofA'd till 2005, registered to University of Cambridge.

Treadders

Blimey, she'll be 40 when her CofA expires!

sharpshot
21st Jun 2002, 07:36
There was one available at Cotswold Aero Cub at EGBJ - well it was there last year!

I miss hearing them go over with the pitch levers being retarded:D :D

Nopax,thanx
21st Jun 2002, 12:39
Thanks, Treadders! Ah, what a little gem she is! I think, the first 337 in the UK. There was an older 336 (fixed gear), but -CU's got to be one of world's oldest 337's still going.

The University use her for photo survey - nifty hole in the floor for the camera, with a little electric door to cover the aperture when the photo gear's not in. All mods done by Marshalls.

The guy that used to fly her until about 1982 was one of Europe's most experienced 337 jocks, he flew it from 1965.