PDA

View Full Version : A319 loses engine cowls on take-off

ahdguy
15th Oct 2015, 20:13
I don't see a thread on this?
Sky Airlines Airbus A319 Loses Both Engine Cowlings On Takeoff (http://aviationbuzzword.com/sky-airlines-airbus-a319-loses-both-engine-cowlings-on-takeoff/)
There's also a video of them departing the aircraft. I would have thought the recent-ish events of others being unsecured, people would be extra-vigilant on their walk rounds no?

Jet Jockey A4
15th Oct 2015, 21:06
https://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-buzz/passenger-captures-planes-engine-breaking-off-151920746.html

DaveReidUK
15th Oct 2015, 21:08
Or doesn't, as the case may be :ugh:

Yankee Whisky
15th Oct 2015, 21:42
Please don't use inflammatory language when reporting incidents of his nature !

dbbass
16th Oct 2015, 06:06
hello

I am a Professional in aviation for (in one month) 40 years, and also flying private. I like PPrune forum even if sometimes there is a lot of babbling from unexperienced/uncompetent/and sometimes impolite forumers...

But there is something I hate, engineers to be treated of grease monkey... Whenever you are interested we can have a chat about all kind of topics concerning aviation (greasing being one of) and I do believe that maybe you will learn me some stuff (I do not know everything and that's the reason why I still like my job after so many years) but I will certainly learn you a lot, first being to be humble and leave your arrogance somewhere in a corner of your brain.
You certainly (I do not know what you do in aviation) never had the opportunity to work a couple of days (not say month) with us, outside by all weather conditions, handling the stress of doing jobs as quick as possible to avoid delays, with **** vehicles, inappropriate tools, not being recognized for what we do by people like you on top of it...

But could it be that your world is made of Stick wankers, (pilots) grease monkeys (engineers), pen holders (office workers), then your vision of the world is not mine.

That said they are companies (in mine we do so) where you have to put an entry in the tech log when you open engines cowlings and there is a double inspection to be signed before release....

NO we are not grease monkeys....

de facto
16th Oct 2015, 06:48
Yes quite a strange name to say the least....i agree with all the rest though.
Mechanics are like your engines...take care of them and they will care of you.

anartificialhorizon
16th Oct 2015, 07:05
SA. Your attitude sums up all that generally was and obviously still is (in certain quarters) wrong in aviation.

You appear to be one of those Sky Gods, infallible, untouchable....

Your description of what you propose happened is so unfeasible, it beggars belief that you even work in aviation.

They forgot to top something up? It was almost certainly a scheduled maintenance task. They forgot nothing.

Hurriedly closed the cowls? Really? How about just closed them, as they would have done hundreds of times before? You can't really close them quickly! You just close them!

Why they were not latched correctly, there could be lots of scenarios. Maybe you could think of some?

LAME (and I bet you like that acronym?), chatting up the hosties (surprised you didn't call them Trolley Dollies or something else you see on here quite often). What a stereotypical world this is.

For any engineers out there, your post would be patronising and somewhat offensive.

His dudeness
16th Oct 2015, 07:37
Ah, the PC brigade.... how nice to see em embark on a crusade. :yuk:

Ever heard "engineers" talk about pilots when they think they are alone ? Or nurses on patients ? I have and all I say: get a life.

TURIN
16th Oct 2015, 09:24
Ever heard "engineers" talk about pilots when they think they are alone ?

Yes, we call them pilots.

However, to their faces they will be honoured with a wide range of epithets. :E

As for 'Grease Monkey' I haven't heard that since I was an apprentice. :uhoh:

Nemrytter
16th Oct 2015, 09:27
Ah, the PC brigade.... how nice to see em embark on a crusade
It's not about political correctness it's about showing respect to your colleagues.

Petrolhead
16th Oct 2015, 19:25
We have a system that tells us when the cabin doors are closed, also when they are armed. We know when the APU inlet opens, we know where the flaps are. We even have a light that tells us when someone has locked the front toilet door.

Every car knows when a door is open - the technology exists - so why cannot we have a micro-switch that tells us when the lock on the cowl has been engaged correctly?

How long before a cowling brings one down?

G-CPTN
16th Oct 2015, 20:01
why cannot we have a micro-switch that tells us when the lock on the cowl has been engaged correctly?Too many false indications.

Petrolhead
16th Oct 2015, 20:16
Oh come on G-CPTN, I was keeping it simple for the sake of the non technical among us. There are probably 100 proximity sensors round the aircraft and they all do their job as designed.

Islay
16th Oct 2015, 23:57
There is no reason this should have happened. Airbus have amended the AMM. It's now a requirement to make an entry in the Tech Log which cowls have been opened. This is for pilot awareness so that they can double check that they are latched. This requirement came about after the BA incident.

This has been out a good few months now so all airlines should be following this procedure.

IFixPlanes
17th Oct 2015, 06:31
The A320NEO will get Prox-Switches on all 3 Latches.
Two of three Latches open will force an ECAM Warning.

anartificialhorizon
17th Oct 2015, 08:37
Could the cowls not have the cowl prox switches (to be fitted on the neo and/or retrofitted to the classic fleet) disabled after the aircraft is airborne. Logic connected to weight on wheels....

All these incidents relate to the cowls not being latched on the ground. Therefore, in order to avoid nuisance warnings in the air, sensors just active on the ground. Therefore, during start up, a quick check of lights out etc.

Simple.

FlightDetent
17th Oct 2015, 08:46
No "warnings in flight" is easily done with airbus flight-phase logic of the warning computer.

fd.

IFixPlanes
17th Oct 2015, 08:53
The Air/Ground logic could fail and that 2 switches fail at the same flight is improbable.
KISS :ok:
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KISS_principle)

BlankBox
17th Oct 2015, 21:23
...but I'm sure theres a simple cost effective solution in the pipeline...

...bungees are your :cool:friend...