PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft equipment required for CII/CIII/CIIIa

felixthecat
15th Oct 2015, 14:31
Hi All
Im trying to find a reference listing the specific aircraft equipment required to be serviceable for CII/CIII approaches.....

Any references please?

CaptainProp
15th Oct 2015, 14:56
On the Airbus the FMA will indicate your current aircraft ability taking failures (some) in to account. Monitored and non monitored systems required for CATII / III in the back of the QRH under Operational data.

CP

FE Hoppy
15th Oct 2015, 16:01
Varies with type and whether it's before or after you're established.

felixthecat
15th Oct 2015, 20:04
Hoppy from my understanding, prior to being established there are EASA requirements for an aircraft to be CIIIa for example i.e. 3 AP 1xAT etc etc. If some of these are lost then the approach is downgraded to a lower requirement of approach i.e. a CII

What I'm after is the legal EASA requirements for an aircraft.

Cough
15th Oct 2015, 21:05
Felix,

I believe there is more than one way of designing systems capable of flying CatIII. It can be flown manually, with a HUD or using autoland with fail passive or fail operational systems. A fail operational system may only have 2 autopilots, though extra monitoring channels are probably a given.

Hence, it really does depend on how your aircraft does the CAT III in the first place, you can then deduce which failures cause a 'downgrade' once the systems architecture is known.

FE Hoppy
15th Oct 2015, 22:43
@Felix

Take a read of http://easa.europa.eu/system/files/dfu/decision_ED_2003_06_RM.pdf

But there are many ways to skin this cat. As said above HUD3A requires there to be no autopilot engaged!

felixthecat
16th Oct 2015, 06:02
Great reference thanks :ok:

B737900er
16th Oct 2015, 09:31
I believe this is what your looking for. This is for a B737:

BOTH AUTOPILOTS
BOTH CONTROL WHEEL DISENGAGE SWITCHES
AUTOPILOT DISCONNECT LIGHT
AUTOPILOT DISCONNECT AUDIBLE WARNING
BOTH CONTROL WHEEL TRIM SWITCHES
ALL FLIGHT SPOILERS
APU
BOTH WINDSCREEN WIPERS
RUDDER PEDAL STEERING
TWO IRS’

BOTH EADI’s
TWO RAD ALTS
GPWS
TWO ILS RECEIVERS
TWO SOURCES OF ELECTRICAL POWER
TWO HYDRAULIC SYSTEMS
TWO ENGINES

felixthecat
16th Oct 2015, 10:09
Looking for the detail for B777 but thanks :)

Denti
16th Oct 2015, 10:35
I believe this is what your looking for. This is for a B737:

That list depends on equipment and is not correct for all versions of the 737. The 737NG in certain equipment standards is perfectly capable to do OEI CAT III approaches to 50ft and 125m RVR.