PDA

View Full Version : Aviation guest speakers

vulcanxl426
14th Oct 2015, 17:52
Hi guys I am a member of the Vulcan Restoration Trust XL426 at Southend airport on there event team .

We have been let down by our guest speaker for our Christmas event and I am at a complete loss where to turn next so I'm hoping that someone on good ole pprune will be able to help me .
Our event is due to be held on the 6th December I would be great full for any ideas or where to look .

Massive thanks in advance

Matt

salad-dodger
16th Oct 2015, 13:59
i would ask either KenV or Joint****eFighter - depending on your audience.

S-D

Pontius Navigator
16th Oct 2015, 15:25
Inspirational :D

Background Noise
16th Oct 2015, 15:50
I would have thought VTTS would be a good starting point?

SASless
16th Oct 2015, 16:20
Phil Connolly....owner of the Huey.....get him to talk about the process he went through to get the Huey into the UK and up and flying.

He has a wonderful sense of humour and a very interesting story to tell about that project.

Sloppy Link
16th Oct 2015, 16:22
Beagle always writes well but I don't know how his oratorical or sartorial standards shape up! Take the risk, what could possibly go wrong?:D

dragartist
16th Oct 2015, 19:28
Vulcan,
You could try the Royal Aeronautical Society Magazine that lists their branch lectures month by month and see what takes your fancy. I think there is a Branch your way who may be able to offer something. You will be able to find the local branch contacts on the web site.

Similar vain with Air Britain. They have Branches all over.

I attend lectures at Cambridge and London we have had some really good speakers.

VIProds
18th Oct 2015, 13:48
Vulcanxl426
I have booked a few speakers for our local ACA Branch, for talks on the following subjects:

BRIXMIS x2 (one also piloted the Chipmunk over East Berlin).
GCHQ
Defence Attaché at the British Embassy Moscow
Bomber Command Chief Scientific Officer
Valiant hunting for Soviet Naval vessels in the Barents Sea
Atomic Tests in Australia & Christmas Island
RAF U-2 pilot - DECLINED :(
SR-71 pilot - TOO EXPENSIVE :eek:

I will PM you with details if any look of interest.

exuw
18th Oct 2015, 16:36
Does Mr Farley do lectures?

taxydual
18th Oct 2015, 17:16
I'm not certain this guy is still with us.

Brilliant, just brilliant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KbUNzi58wM&list=RD7KbUNzi58wM#t=23

Pontius Navigator
18th Oct 2015, 17:42
XL426 has gone deep and silent since his OP. I suspect that some speakers would be unaffordable and the likes of David Gunson and with a fee quoted as under £2,500 even more so. Southend is not the most central location for a free speaker.

BEagle
18th Oct 2015, 18:50
I'm away on 6th Dec, but the last time I gave a presentation at a Sarf'En flying club, all I asked for was petrol costs, light meal and overnight at the Premier Inn.

£2500? Ridiculous. I'm also interested to know why the SR-71 pilot was deemed 'too expensive' - if it's the same person (an author keen to flog his books...) who gave a chat at an aerodrome near Maidenhead last year, then I wouldn't bother going even if it was free. His talk was pretty well pre-scripted and aimed at completely the wrong audience...:uhoh:

1.3VStall
18th Oct 2015, 19:29
vulcan - I'll do it for fuel costs and an overnight bed.

pm me - I've done this sort of thing before and it went down extremely well!

VIProds
19th Oct 2015, 13:02
BEagle
It might well be the same person. He travels over from Texas on a regular basis to visit his Daughter, who has settled down in Cambridge. It was at the time when the ACA was winding up & the Branch were worried about funds.

vulcanxl426
25th Oct 2015, 13:01
Hi Guys

Sorry for late reply but due a family emergency I have now on been able to reply to you all .
Thanks for all the offers and where to look ect wear now going through them and hopefully find someone .

Kind Regards

Matt