PDA

View Full Version : NPPL(M) to EASA PPL Sep(Land)

BigEndBob
13th Oct 2015, 18:33
Ok I know what's required to go NPPL(M) to NPPL(SSEA? or whatever it's called now).
But is there a way to go NPPL(M) to SEP(Land) in one go.
The guy in question has 60 odd hours on NPPL(M) C42 and Jabiru.

Mach Jump
13th Oct 2015, 20:03
Don't think so.

Add SSEA, convert to LAPL, then upgrade to EASA PPL.

MJ:ok:

Whopity
13th Oct 2015, 20:57
But is there a way to go NPPL(M) to SEP(Land) in one go.Yes, meet the full EASA requirement, in which case the NPPL(M) is irrelevant.

BigEndBob
13th Oct 2015, 21:04
That's a thought.
Check logbook to asses what's missing for EASA PPL then do Skill Test.

Genghis the Engineer
13th Oct 2015, 21:34
Yes, meet the full EASA requirement, in which case the NPPL(M) is irrelevant.

Not quite.

IIRC, there's a dispensation of 10% of the PiC hours in 3-axis microlights up to 10 hours off.

Also, it is possible to do the NQ within the minimum hours, so at-least taking advantage of previous learning, if not hours.

(At least, this worked for me when I went PPL(M)--> JAR PPL(SEP) in 2001, and I don't *think* it's changed.)

G

Whopity
13th Oct 2015, 22:01
Do you have a reference for this dispensation? Part FCL says:(d) Crediting. Applicants holding a pilot licence for another category of aircraft, with the exception of balloons, shall be credited with 10 % of their total flight time as PIC on such aircraft up to a maximum of 10 hours. The amount of credit given shall in any case not include the requirements in (a)(2).Microlight, 3-axis or otherwise is not an EASA category of aircraft!

Genghis the Engineer
13th Oct 2015, 23:22
JAR was pre-EASA of course, so I suspect that what you are referencing is the successor to the now defunct UK/JAR regs that I took advantage of.

Might be worth quoting precedent to CAA to see if they'll be helpful?

G

BEagle
14th Oct 2015, 07:24
Simplest way is to include an SSEA Class Rating in the NPPL(A), then follow NPPL(A) to PPL(A) with SEP Class Rating conversion as described in CAP804 Part I Section 4 Part P page 33:

The holder of a UK issue Microlight licence may convert their licence to a Part-FCL LAPL(A) or PPL(A), by first satisfying the requirement to convert from a UK Microlight licence to a UK NPPL(A) with an SSEA or SLMG rating, and additionally meeting the requirements for the conversion of a NPPL(A) SSEA or SLMG to a Part-FCL LAPL(A) or PPL(A), by satisfying the conversion requirements as set out in this Part.

Genghis, it would be completely and utterly pointless to bother the CAA with a 14 year old 'precedent', now that they have only limited discretion under EU regulations.

Genghis the Engineer
14th Oct 2015, 09:50
Possibly, although that was the working rule for quite a few years, and not just applied to me.

That said, yes, I think that the approach you have just described is probably the most efficient now. Well, least inefficient anyhow.

G

Whopity
14th Oct 2015, 19:34
to the now defunct UK/JAR regs that I took advantage of. JAR-FCL was more specific than EASA. 1.005 stated:(5) Whenever a reference is made to
aeroplanes this does not include microlights
as defined nationally, unless otherwise
specified.

Genghis the Engineer
14th Oct 2015, 22:56
Problem is, it's so damned long ago that I certainly can't remember what specific rulebook was used. I am only sure that it was accepted.

G