PDA

View Full Version : Marchetti SF260a

vandereydt
12th Oct 2015, 21:37
Hi all
The SF 260 is a wonderfull aircraft
Does anybody have experience knowledge on this aircraft
The things to look out for, the absolute nogo's, ....
Maintenance issues?

Thanks
Ronny

Small Rodent Driver
13th Oct 2015, 03:16
Nothing I can impart about the SF260 other than..... Want One!!!!!!

dirkdj
13th Oct 2015, 04:59
One of the mechanics who works on my aircraft was in charge of maintenance of the fleet of SF260s in the Belgian Air Force before his retirement. There is one sitting in a hangar somewhere on our field that seems to take an eternity to get fixed. If you are thinking about this one, better do some research.

Dave Clarke Fife
13th Oct 2015, 07:31
Ronny, I have no direct operational experience nor maintenance experience of the 260 but wish i did have. My old company (no prizes for guessing who) used to have one painted in the old company colour scheme. Despite my deepest desire and wishes to get my hands on this little beauty, much to my chagrin, they insisted i fly their airbus instead.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb219/A330Skygod/image.jpeg

Photo copyright belongs to Glyn Charles Jones

Curlytips
13th Oct 2015, 07:45
:ok: Same answer. No technical knowledge, but flew the 260d with Fighter Pilots USA, and it was stunning. Instructors were all ex-F15 pilots and rated it highly. They also did multiple "missions" daily so commercially they had to be reliable. Can imagine that spares availability could be the problem.

vandereydt
13th Oct 2015, 08:16
thanks all

What I m looking for is the hidden issues with the Marhetti
Availability of parts is one (cost another :bored: )
Operational issues
Maintenance issues, where do I find qualified engineers to work on it
Can the panel be upgraded to modern standards?

Thanks all

Ronny

Above The Clouds
13th Oct 2015, 08:28
Curlytips
Same answer. No technical knowledge, but flew the 260d with Fighter Pilots USA

I delivered one of those 260's to the Fighter Pilots USA in the early 90's it was an ex Irish Army Air Corp one, needless to say I had a great time from Ballykelly to California :):):)

S-Works
13th Oct 2015, 12:06
My friend owns one. His is ITAF and real delight to fly. If you drop me a PM I can put yo in contact, I am sure he will be happy to share his extensive knowledge of them.

You could also talk to the maintenance guys at Leicester, Metair I think they are called as they maintain it.

Marchettiman
13th Oct 2015, 13:00
I first flew one in 1969, have owned mine since 1982 and have flown every model over the years. Nothing compares! Message me and I will happily help with any questions you may have.

n5296s
13th Oct 2015, 15:26
I've flown one and it is a very impressive aircraft - a fully aerobatic (including inverted) cross country IFR capable aircraft. My aerobatics instructor owns one and uses it as his personal plane - he says that when eventually he retires and sells the school, it is the one aircraft he'll keep.

I'm happy to put you in touch with him if you want.

As for using loads of runway - like the Cirrus it is a 61 knot (maximum) stall speed aircraft, so Vref is in the high 70s. Plus apparently it has really unpleasant stall characteristics when close to the ground and you really don't want to go there. So you probably need 2500 feet to operate with confidence. But not 8000.

(Of course it stalls exactly the same at 200 feet as it does at 10000. But you need a bit of space to recover since it tends to drop a wing hard).

megan
14th Oct 2015, 03:56
A pilot report by a gentleman who knows his stuff, mentions a few weaknesses in his commentary. Used by the Singaporean Air Force as a trainer at one stage.

Marchetti S.F.260 Pilot Report (http://www.airbum.com/pireps/PirepSF260.html)

With 800 sold to the military one would think spares would be available from some where.

Cows getting bigger
14th Oct 2015, 06:52
When I win the lottery I'm going to buy two of them; can't be bothered twiddling my thumbs when maintenance time arrives.

megan
14th Oct 2015, 11:29
That would be the turbine version CGB?

Langball
14th Oct 2015, 12:05
I had some indirect involvement with the Irish SF260W machines (not recently!). They were very reliable, given that they were used for primary training (pilots trained on the Marchetti and Fouga Magister, then when they got their wings they went onto the Cessna 172).

Only recurrent problem was the 'engine bearer arms' as we called them. The front undercarriage was bolted directly onto the engine cradle rather than directly onto the front bulkhead. And every time we did NDT on the 2 lugs they were cracked. There was an approved procedure to grind out the cracks (to a certain depth), but this was not very successful.

I know there was an AD about cracking at the end of the main wing spars. Both spars were connected together by two cheek plates at the root, and there was an AD (can't remember the exact details) about a repair. Make sure this is done.

There was also another AD about cracking on one of the pivot arms for the undercarriage mechanism (with was an electric motor and a series of rods).

Only other problem (that I can remember) was that under the anti slip coating at the entrance to the cockpit the skin was liable to get some flexing from constant use and this cracked a small stringer underneath (not primary structure). Easily checked by looking up underneath the wheel well.

Most common problems was actually:
1. a live mag due to fracture of the ground wire onto the magneto. Could never understand why they didn't just put a loop on the wire with some extra length and
2. the release for the inertia reel on the safety harness. The wire connecting the lever of the side wall to the reel kept breaking. At one stage I went to a bicycle shop to get a replacement cable.

I know parts were very expensive, and could take a year to get. The air inlet filters were very expensive considering what was in them. We even made replacement elements ourselves from those used on the Cessna engine.

All in all very simple and reliable. But parts were expensive and took a long time to get.

Newforest2
14th Oct 2015, 12:16
I can give you the contact details for the blue jobbie if you wish.. He lives in Germany.

DaveUnwin
14th Oct 2015, 13:12
I flew an SF260TP a few years back - fantastic machine.

rigorcreds
10th Jun 2016, 11:04
Hello. Is anybody here has the same problem with mine. Our sf 260 retracts its landing gear even on ground after putting its battery on. Feedbacks are appreciated. Thank you

fjade143
11th Jun 2016, 01:13
Hi good morning, i am from the Philippine, is anybody here using SF 260 FH? Sorry to intrude but here in the Philippines i am flying the SF 260 FH, and i have a problem of its landing gear because it just suddenly retract while the plane is still on the ground. Does anybody here experience such problem? Please help by sharing to me your experience. Thank you.

boybakal
11th Jun 2016, 02:10
Good day, I've recently been flying the SF-260 and it's an amazing machine. One thing to look out for is its gears though. During startup, as another pilot switched the battery ON, the gears somehow retracted. Caused some damage to the aircraft, gas was leaking etc..

I'm new to this plane and this incident has caused myself and my colleagues some concern.

I'd like to ask if anyone here would have any information why this would happen? Thanks!

FLEXJET
11th Jun 2016, 13:49
"Mechanically, the weakest part of the Meteor is its landing gear retraction system. It's super sensitive to rigging and even the slightest amount of adjustment creep results in some very expensive noises. As if to prove a point, Harry pointed out that his is the only one of the original airplanes not to have been on its nose after the nose gear collapses on roll-out. The culprit is an adjustable. spring loaded actuating rod that is either easily bent or misadjusted The up locks also required some updating and the yellow bird of the duo had the unfortunate distinction of having its gear come banging out during a four G pull out, which ruptured everything within reach of the actuator mounting brackets.''

Marchetti S.F.260 Pilot Report (http://www.airbum.com/pireps/PirepSF260.html)

Is says here that limit switches are sensitive:
THE SIAI MARCHETTI SF260 LANDING GEAR (http://sf260w.com/gear.html)

Ramones
12th Jun 2016, 05:24
Hi buddy what is you question ?
Do you want to get in touch with some engeneer about SF260?
As pilot I flew around 200 hrs on sf 260 never heard about that .

Marchettiman
12th Jun 2016, 06:15
Power is supplied to the landing gear actuator by two solenoids, one for each direction of movement. It's my bet that the "up" solenoid has failed in the closed sense so it is continually supplying 28v to the actuator. You can test that by checking that there is no voltage being supplied to the solenoid when the aircraft on the ground with the weight on the main wheels so the squat switch is closed.

Nick 1
12th Jun 2016, 06:40
Try to contact the factory , Siai has been rebranded Leonardo.

[email protected]

SF-260 - DETTAGLIO - Leonardo - Finmeccanica (http://www.leonardocompany.com/-/sf-260)

EI-PAUL
12th Jun 2016, 08:26
Hi mate,

As far as I remember the SF260F has got an uprated engine and a fuel injection system, but all the rest is as per "main project", landing gear system included.
I don't think there are any SF260F flying in Italy at the moment, and anyway, as Ramones already said, I'm not aware of any potential defect regarding the landing gear system on model A to C (should be the same landing gear system as model F).
Could be than an issue directly connected with your own model? pretty sure the factory can help you out if you contact them as Nick suggested.

armie22
12th Jun 2016, 11:13
Hi,

With regards to the landing gear of the sf260. Aside from the solenoids you mentioned earlier. Do you have any other knowledge if what might have caused this unusual retraction of either the nose wheel or one of the main wheel while on the ground? It occured in two instances in different aircraft. The first one is during landing roll and the other is during engine starting. Thank you.

Marchettiman
12th Jun 2016, 20:27
If it is not electrical, then it looks like the adjustment of the actuating rods for the legs. You have to adjust their lengths properly so the internal springs have the correct pre-load which ensures a positive lock for each leg when it reaches the down position. I haven't got my maintenance manual with me, but I think it is a minimum of 0.25ins of residual stroke left when the legs are in the locked down position (check the manual). A big tip when checking the gear operation with the aircraft on jacks is to always apply the specified load on the nose leg to simulate air loads, I use a length of wire with a spring balance...you need a helper to do do that!