PDA

View Full Version : What do I need to teach the IRI course

neilr
12th Oct 2015, 18:54
Hello all
I have quick question ...
I am an EASA instructor - I can teach for the IR rating and more recently can now teach the FIC course

What I am not sure about and could not a find a reference to is ...

Can I also teach for the IRI course or are there some minimum experience levels I need to achieve before being able to teach this

Thanks to anybody who can help or point me in the right direction

Thanks Neil

Whopity
12th Oct 2015, 19:56
So long as you are an FIC instructor and qualified to teach for the IR you can do it FCL.930.IRI IRI — Training course
(b) Flight instruction shall be given by an FI qualified in accordance with FCL.905.FI(i):

FCL.905.FI
(i) an FI, IRI, CRI, STI or MI certificate provided that the FI has:

(1) completed at least:
(iii) in all other cases, 500 hours of flight instruction in the appropriate aircraft category;

(2) passed an assessment of competence in accordance with FCL.935 in the appropriate aircraft category to demonstrate to a Flight Instructor Examiner (FIE) the ability to instruct for the FI certificate;

neilr
12th Oct 2015, 19:59
Many thanks for that - I saw this reference but figured I was missing something - looked to simple !!

nick14
12th Oct 2015, 20:55
I believe you will also need to hold the IRI and a single pilot IR, so don't let them lapse.

Whopity
12th Oct 2015, 21:43
I am an EASA instructor - I can teach for the IR rating Then he is qualified!

nick14
13th Oct 2015, 16:09
Just pointing it out as the rules changed with EASA.

Whopity
15th Oct 2015, 06:48
Presumably you are referring to the 4:1 ratio as nothing elsse has changed.
Of course you will also need an approved course in the FIC Training Manual to run IRI courses.

nick14
15th Oct 2015, 18:25
On the contrary whopity, when part FCL was first introduced there were a number of current FICs who were teaching for the IRI without holding an IR in the UK. A few I know of in my area were miffed that they would either have to renew their IR or stop teaching for the IRI.

SpannerInTheWerks
15th Oct 2015, 18:31
On dear!!! Fancy having to be qualified to teach something.

Whopity
16th Oct 2015, 06:53
when part FCL was first introduced there were a number of current FICs who were teaching for the IRI without holding an IR in the UKThat of course resulted from the retention of the "No Applied Instrument" limitation which was retained by the CAA throughout the JAR period. The initial reason was because nobody had bothered to update the licensing software. They were however qualified to teach for the removal of this restriction because they held the qualification themselves and in most cases had in-built IMC privileges in their National licences. Few actually taught for the IR so it was perfectly legal to teach for the IRI (restriction removal) so long as they held the rating and were qualification to fly IFR. The EASA regulation is much the same as the JARs and to teach for a rating you must hold it but, where does it actually say that to teach for the IRI you must hold a valid IR? The privileges if the IR(R) which permit flight in the required circumstances in the UK do not prohibit this activity!

On dear!!! Fancy having to be qualified to teach something. There is quite a difference between not being qualified and finding that some administrator has shifted the goal posts for many of those who have been adequately qualified for a number of years and of course are considerably experienced. The waters have been muddied and their remains a lack of clarity around existing privileges.

nick14
17th Oct 2015, 18:15
On an EASA licence you would cease to hold an IRI if your IR lapsed and hence would then loose the qualification to teach for the IRI.

Whopity
17th Oct 2015, 19:11
Thats a bit like saying you would cease to hold a FI certificate if your SEP rating lapsed!

SpannerInTheWerks
17th Oct 2015, 19:25
Thats a bit like saying you would cease to hold a FI certificate if your SEP rating lapsed!

'hold' or 'exercise the privileges of'?

:)

nick14
18th Oct 2015, 18:37
In EASA to hold means current.

Your FI covers lots of areas dependent on your qualifications, if you have only SEP privileges then yes it would.