PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Flow and temperature

Mintraman
8th Oct 2015, 03:38
Hi guys, I am little confused about the relationship between FF and Temperature. On jet engines do you consume more or less fuel on a cold day?

Thanks

oggers
8th Oct 2015, 14:21
More. With the denser air you will get more thrust but also require more power to maintain a given compressor RPM. According to my ATPL notes.

tdracer
8th Oct 2015, 14:26
Actually, for the same amount of thrust, there is very little difference in fuel required vs. ambient temperature. The compressor should be slightly more efficient on a cold day and hence require less fuel, but were talking a very small number here - basically in the mud.

Mintraman
8th Oct 2015, 15:44
Thanks oggers and tdracer for your answer, I really appreciate.

A friend of mine flying the Q400 showed me on his the FCOM the FF at different temperatures for the same weight and FL, and obviously you will consume more on a cold atmosphere, but is it the same with jet engines?

Derfred
9th Oct 2015, 12:09
I would think that at the same weight and FL you will consume more on a cold day, because the air you are flying through is denser (more drag). But on a cold day you should be able to climb higher to achieve optimum altitude, and at that higher level consume much the same fuel as you would have consumed on a warmer day at a lower level.

In other words, if you just think about density, the engine doesn't really care about temperature (within practical limits).

I have no figures for this, just my gut feeling.

imriozer
9th Oct 2015, 13:00
It depends, are you looking for Mach or TAS?

Old Fella
10th Oct 2015, 10:30
The simple answer to the original question is:

Cold air is more dense, so for a given engine RPM, more fuel is required to maintain that RPM on a cold day (and thrust at that RPM will be greater on a cold day than on a hotter day).

In summary, if an engine produces X RPM on an ISA Standard day at a given fuel flow at sea level, that engine will require more fuel and will produce more thrust at X RPM on an ISA -10 day than the fuel it would require to maintain X RPM on an ISA +10 day (with a lower thrust produced).

BTW Mintraman, the Q400 is powered by a jet engine, albeit one which drives a propeller.

Mintraman
11th Oct 2015, 22:50
Excellent :ok::ok::ok:

Willit Run
11th Oct 2015, 23:21
The Old Fella is right!

Hope i'm that sharp at 75!:O.