PDA

View Full Version : Air Law & Regs

mykul10
6th Oct 2015, 12:52
Coming back to flying after 4 years, I'm getting up to speed with Air Law & Regs. So far I've collected electronic copies of CAP804, CAP393, Part FCL etc. Must admit I'm struggling a bit with finding clarity on some issues such as licence privileges. For example I used to explain the diffs between UK VFR minima alongside the privileges of a PPL with/without IMC.

Does anybody have a guide to how the relevant docs relate to each other, where to go to find out this kind of info?

Mach Jump
6th Oct 2015, 15:33
Don't despair!

Even those of us who's job it is to know these things are struggling to keep up with the changes.

AFE have just re-issued their PPL study series, Vol 2, and it covers Air law, Operational Procedures, and RT.

Would be a good investment for you. :)

MJ:ok:

Whopity
7th Oct 2015, 12:16
UK VFR minima alongside the privileges of a PPL with/without IMC.All good old stuff, but the privileges of a UK PPL differed from those of a JAA PPL, before you start talking about IMC ratings, which thankfully, haven't really changed.

All licence privileges are in Part FCL, only National licences appear in the ANO, things like the BCPL disappeared some time ago.

Rules of the Air were removed from CAP393 to be replaced by SERA however; there are a number of derrogations in the Official Record Series 4 and there is now a set of supplementary UK RofA.

As MJ said it is difficult for all to keep up, even the CAA are having trouble complying with the regulation, and in some cases understanding their own rules.

Mustapha Cuppa
7th Oct 2015, 15:11
Rules of the Air were removed from CAP393 to be replaced by SERA however; there are a number of derrogations in the Official Record Series 4 and there is now a set of supplementary UK RofA.

Rules of the Air 2015 can be found in CAP 393.

mykul10
7th Oct 2015, 16:40
Thanks all for your help. I think an updated PPL study guide will be good. As I understand it, CAP 393 only gives UK differences on Rules of the Air. SERA gives info on privileges such as instructing on a PPL etc.

I can only find AMC/GMs for SERA. Possibly missing something, but have searched CAP 804 and Part FCL without success. Eg I have seen min vis for EASA PPL given as 5km or 1500m?

If anybody can give any links t'would be great.

Many thanks

Whopity
8th Oct 2015, 15:47
SERA gives info on privileges such as instructing on a PPL etc.No, Part FCLFCL.205.A PPL(A) — Privileges
(a) The privileges of the holder of a PPL(A) are to act without remuneration as PIC or co-pilot on aeroplanes or TMGs engaged in non-commercial operations.
(b) Notwithstanding the paragraph above, the holder of a PPL(A) with instructor or examiner privileges may receive remuneration for:
(1) the provision of flight instruction for the LAPL(A) or PPL(A);
(2) the conduct of skill tests and proficiency checks for these licences;
(3) the training, testing and checking for the ratings or certificates attached to this licence.
Minimum visibility is no longer a licence constraint, so the VFR minima applies 1500m

SERA link (https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CCgQFjABahUKEwirpoTnnLPIAhUBfhoKHSBsCzQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Feasa.europa.eu%2Fdocument-library%2Fregulations%2Fcommission-implementing-regulation-eu-no-9232012&usg=AFQjCNF5BiuOAGXAHvfUTVsa9EcknxCUNg&bvm=bv.104615367,d.d24&cad=rja)

Rules of the Air 2015 can be found in CAP 393Indeed they can, but not the old UK rules that anyone coming back to flying would probably rember by their numbers.

mykul10
9th Oct 2015, 08:51
Whopity,

Thanks for that. I had seen FCL.205. I was expecting to find rather more than that.

Am I right in thinking that CAP393 Rules of the Air now only contains UK differences/amendments to SERA?

Whopity
9th Oct 2015, 11:44
I was expecting to find rather more than that.In many ways the regulation is quite basic and does not have the unique additions that we are used to in the UK. In other areas it attempts to micromanage things that only need a bit of common sense.

The UK Rules of the Air are filling gaps in the EASA regulation, there are a number of ORS 4 Series amendments (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=33&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=list&type=sercat&id=17) too Nos 1061; 1063; 1067; 1068; 1069; 1070 and 1081.

mykul10
11th Oct 2015, 17:46
Thanks guys.

It seems that CAP393, CAP804 and the consolidation document from the CAA website which list SERA with AMCs, GMs, UK Rules all rolled into one gives us what we need.