PDA

View Full Version : Operating crews carrying fluids

Flyingspanner146
3rd Oct 2015, 07:30
hi all
As operating crew that must go downroute for longer periods, I would like to ask if anyone knows the exact regulations on carrying fluids ?
We all know pax can only carry 100ml , but as operating crew travelling 2 weeks at a time it is outrageously expensive to having to buy continually miniature shampoos toothpaste etc .
Any sensible tips or responses would be very welcome.

redsnail
3rd Oct 2015, 14:37
I operate on 6 day tours. If I am airlining on Day 1, the main bag goes into the hold. I generally keep stuff to the 100ml limit but it's the quantity that's the issue. I have small bottles that I decant shampoo etc into. You can buy them at Boots, Superdrug, or any larger supermarket.
Moisturiser, toothpaste etc are a bit difficult to decant.

If you're going through a crew channel you might be able to get away with larger volumes, either way, your bag will still be screened.

wannabepilot1991
3rd Oct 2015, 16:55
Hi, I am not sure about airline operations as I am into general aviation.
but don't pilots and crew get to check-in their luggage and claim the luggage at every Overnight Layovers.

wiggy
3rd Oct 2015, 18:18
don't pilots and crew get to check-in their luggage and claim the luggage at every Overnight Layovers.

Depends on who you work for. It's usually an option on Long Haul (though even so many like myself try not to check a bag in anyway) however it's not always an option for some on Short haul - especially if the crew are rostered such that they have to change aircraft during the working day, so the OPs question is a good one.

I'm pretty low maintenance and I do as redsnail suggested and/or make maximum advantage of any small tubes/bottles found in the hotel bathroom.....:oh:.

Flyingspanner146
4th Oct 2015, 06:39
Thanks
We are a night freight op , no long haul just short ops, so no option with checking in luggage.
Most airports have crew channels but the ones who don't are the problem.
They seem to take great pleasure in pi&$@ng off crews .
I had my shampoo etc removed in Tallinn the other day but they didn't want to notice the leatherman, scissors and multi-screwdriver I was carrying!
Ok, well the replies have answered my question , guess I will have to keep raiding the hotels supplies 😀