PDA

View Full Version : laptop connecting to WIFI but not Internet

Heathrow Harry
26th Sep 2015, 11:37
Driving me crazy - laptop sudenly picks up and logs into various WiFi sites but won't bring up the internet in any browser (IE/Chrome/Firefox)

if I connect via ethernet cable to the hub no problem

if I use a paid for service (such as a Virgin or EE wireless dongle) no problem

Ideas???

gemma10
26th Sep 2015, 11:44
Have you tried right clicking on the internet icon in FF and click on "Troubleshoot problems". In W7 sometimes turning off an on f12 cures it.

ExSp33db1rd
26th Sep 2015, 22:07
Happens to me a lot - HP laptop - connected to my Modem via WiFi but no Internet Access, whilst the desktop is receiving Internet OK via an Ethernet cable from the same Modem, and an iPad is receiving the WiFi signal and the Internet.

Haven't tried tried the f12 gambit, will so so next time, but Troubleshooting comes up with nonsense ( can't remember the exact wording ) but if I completely shut down the laptop and the modem, make a cup of tea, then fire everything up again it works ( just doing a Restart has no effect, I have to close down completely )

My IT Guru says HP fitted a batch of cheap WiFi reception cards some time ago and wants to fit a different, expensive, one that he has sourced. Can't comment, for now I live with it.

Heathrow Harry
28th Sep 2015, 16:37
I'll try the F12 option

EXSPD is also correct - occasionaly it will suddenly decide to reconnect..... but there are pages and pages of advice on the web soem of which may work but most don't

seems to affect just about every sort of laptop at some time

cdtaylor_nats
29th Sep 2015, 22:18
Before investing in a new card perhaps try one of these

TP-LINK TL-WN823N 300Mbps Mini Wireless N USB Adapter: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

or similar

jimjim1
2nd Oct 2015, 20:19
Reboot router.

Off
wait 10s

On

BARKINGMAD
16th Oct 2015, 21:50
If you do buy this particular piece of kit, make sure you keep the receipt for the full guarantee period.

Some of the examples have had electrolytic capacitor problems and you may need to return them for replacement.

Luckily I kept mine, have had 2 units replaced F O C under their warranty program. :)

seanbean
16th Oct 2015, 22:47
Before investing in a new card perhaps try one of these

http://www.pprune.org/images/misc/amazon_icon.gif (http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-WN823N-300Mbps-Wireless-Adapter/dp/B0088TKTY2/) TP-LINK TL-WN823N 300Mbps Mini Wireless N USB Adapter: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories (http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-WN823N-300Mbps-Wireless-Adapter/dp/B0088TKTY2/)

or similar

Just in case - I don't think this USB adapter is W10 compatible ( I may be wrong).

Biggles78
17th Oct 2015, 17:29
See if there is a Firmware upgrade for your Wireless Router or the Wireless Access Point (WAP).
Check your device manufacturer to see if there is an updated driver for the Wireless NIC.
Check the wireless setting section in the Router or WAP and make sure it is transmitting at 100% power. Linksys used to set transmit power to 30% of available.
If you lose connection with Internet, immediately check to see if you still have a Default Gateway. Open a CMD prompt and type ipconfig or if adventurous. ipconfig /all .

@ ExSp33db1rd, what is your make and model of HP? I can do some reading and see if I can find out if there is a specific reason for this and a know fix. Ta.

General question, what operating system are your who are having this issue running?
Win 10 :vomit:
Win 8/81 :slightly nauseous:
Win 7 :joyful delight:
Despite the comments it is a serious question. :)

Oh yes, anyone running an Apple Mac having this problem? Thanks (covering all bases except Linux flavours)

Just in case - I don't think this USB adapter is W10 compatible ( I may be wrong).
There doesn't appear to be a Windows 10 driver for this device yet. However I would imagine it may work if you install it on a Win 7, 8 or 8.1 and then upgrade to Win 10 though I would not advise anyone to do this. I believe the rational behind Microsoft want users to Upgrade to Windows 10 as opposed to a clean Win 10 install was there were insufficient Win 10 drivers for the plethora of hardware devices. By Upgrading there was a greater chance that the drivers would work.

Anyone who remembers the Windows 2000 debacle may remember the issue with lack of Windows 2000 device drivers when installing that new operating system some 16 years ago.

Mr Optimistic
17th Oct 2015, 22:40
HH, can't say I u detstood your problem but is it solved now? Didn't understand what you meant about picking up WiFi sites.

ExSp33db1rd
17th Oct 2015, 23:33
Biggles 78

@ ExSp33db1rd, what is your make and model of HP? I can do some reading and see if I can find out if there is a specific reason for this and a know fix. Ta.

Thanks .... HP ProBook 4540s ( about 2-3 years old now )
Serial No. 2CE33305BB Product No. D7X57PA#ABG

Biggles78
21st Oct 2015, 23:29
ExSp33db1rd, this seems to be quite a common problem and I assume you have one of those Ralink Wireless Adapters. As you can see from the link I posted there are just a couple of articles to read so I shall pop back in once I have perused them and see if I can find a solution. Problems with those adapters do ring a bell but I would need 10 or so years to revive those useless cells now just taking up space between the ears.
https://www.google.com.au/#q=HP+ProBook+4540s+dropping+wireless+connection

One thing to try, open Device Manager --> Network Adapters --> double click the Wireless adapter --> Power Management tab and untick Allow the computer to turn off the device to save power

In the meantime I will read the other posted linked above. If the above works or doesn't work, please advise accordingly. Thanks. :)

Selfloading
22nd Oct 2015, 10:20
Unfortunately I don't have a solution, but to get reconnected slightly more quickly I'd turn off the laptop, unplug from mains, remove the battery, reinstall the battery, fire it up and it'd be fine for a while.

Biggles78
23rd Oct 2015, 12:54
Selfloading, what is the make/model of your device and if possible, what is the make/model of the Wireless device that is causing you this grief. Ta.

Brewster Buffalo
23rd Oct 2015, 18:14
I experienced this problem on both my laptop - wifi connection and my desktop - direct connection. BT customer with a Hub 5 for over a year this started after I upgraded to unlimited from 20GB a month. Computers connect to the hub ok but the hub says "no internet access" however my BT TV Vision box was still working showing BT Sport so that was connected to the internet.

Spent most of a Sunday on the helpline trying various things but nothing worked except turning the hub on and off which worked occasionally.

Eventually mybt account website said a problem at the exchange and the problem has occurred less and less and has now stopped...(crossing fingers)

Selfloading
23rd Oct 2015, 19:21
Selfloading, what is the make/model of your device and if possible, what is the make/model of the Wireless device that is causing you this grief. Ta.

It's an Acer Aspire one netbook, to be honest I don't really use it anymore.

gemma10
24th Oct 2015, 08:33
Biggles, One thing to try, open Device Manager --> Network Adapters --> double click the Wireless adapter --> Power Management tab and untick Allow the computer to turn off the device to save power EXCELLENT.:ok::ok:

Biggles78
24th Oct 2015, 11:05
It's an Acer Aspire one netbook,
Selfloading, this is a driver issue. Give me the exact model number and I will find the driver for you. It will be something like AO followed usually by 3 digits. Have seen a so called tech try for 3 months to get one on the wireless network before the boss asked me to look at it. 1 hour later all cleaned up, correct driver installed and one happy boss.

@ExSp33db1rd, still reading and looking.

@ gemma10, lucky guess. I am please it worked. :)

Selfloading
24th Oct 2015, 11:41
Selfloading, this is a driver issue. Give me the exact model number and I will find the driver for you. It will be something like AO followed usually by 3 digits. Have seen a so called tech try for 3 months to get one on the wireless network before the boss asked me to look at it. 1 hour later all cleaned up, correct driver installed and one happy boss.

@ExSp33db1rd, still reading and looking.

@ gemma10, lucky guess. I am please it worked. :)

Thanks for the offer mate, but I've got Linux on it now so its all sorted.

Heathrow Harry
25th Oct 2015, 15:29
Mr O - sorry I've been away for a couple of weeks -

answer is it's still not reliable - I switch it on and it ALWAYS detects wireless available networks

When I try and login to them sometimes it works and sometimes it just sits there - but if I use a mobile internet dongle from EE or Vodaphone it almost always connects

I'll have to live with it until I replace teh machine I guess

ExSp33db1rd
26th Oct 2015, 06:58
One thing to try, open Device Manager --> Network Adapters --> double click the Wireless adapter --> Power Management tab and untick Allow the computer to turn off the device to save power

Biggles 78 - couldn't find Device Manager access on Windows 8, but in Networking info. found a command to always connect to the Wireless Transceiver when in range, which was already ticked.

My failure to connect is very occasional and usually only when I run on battery and not mains power - my IT man says that is impossible, that there us no practical difference, which I would agree with, but that is my experience ! I usually solve it by shutting down completely and re-connecting the 240 V. supply, then re-booting.

Unfortunately we do get power failures, the last one shut down most of the Northern part of the North Island, and Vodaphone then discovered that their back-up cell tower batteries didn't work either !

BEagle
26th Oct 2015, 16:01
To open Device Manager in Win8:

1. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, then tap Search. (If you're using a mouse, point to the bottom-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, then click Search.)

2. Enter 'Device Manager' in the search box, and tap or click Device Manager.

When in Device Manager, look for Network Adapters and look for your wireless adapter, then right click on the adapter name and select 'properties'. Then go to the Power Management tab and untick 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power'.

As your snag is only occurring when the computer is on battery, perhaps the system is being overly sensitive and tries to save power too soon?

ExSp33db1rd
26th Oct 2015, 22:03
BEagle - To open Device Manager in Win8:Thank you, your hypothesis regarding saving battery power makes sense !

In fact I'd tried this after reading previous advice from Biggles 78, and before writing my last, but I'd tried to do it via the Apps. page, not the Tiles page, and was told that no App. matched my request, which is why I had eventually gone to the Control Panel, and not found Device Manager there either, just a Networking command to always Connect when in Range.

Have now unticked the save power option as suggested - which was selected, unknown to me !

I'm reluctant to try it - It Ain't Broke, So Won't Fix It - at the moment, but will bear this in mine when I next have to resort to battery power.

Muchas Gracias to both of you.

ExS.