PDA

View Full Version : Instrument Flying by David Hoy

skyfarmer
27th Jul 2001, 18:13
Instrument Flying by David Hoy
Does anyone know if there is any where in the uk with copies of the above book still in stock?, or anyone with an old copy that will sell it to me? It has been discontinued since last Sept and I am trying to get a copy.

Alternatively anyone reccomend a book that is equally as good?

Cheers

RVR800
27th Jul 2001, 18:18
There are no good books written on the
IR

Its because its all a bit of a secret

How about a CAA one showing us how it should be done with a Video of their chief examiner going through the paces on a BE76

No chance..

AirScream
27th Jul 2001, 19:49
I saw a copy at Gatwick up in the spotters gallery shop on Monday ;).....I was waiting for someone on a flight, honest, I am not a spotter honest, please believe me! :rolleyes:

skyfarmer
27th Jul 2001, 20:25
Thanks for the info, I have been on the phone to Gatwick for the 20 mins or so now, automated answer service etc, finally spoke to an operator who gave me a phone number that is not in use!!
Do you remember what terminal you were in? or even the actual name of the bookshop, or other useful info as it seems imposssible to get a sensible answer out of the phone/information system down there.

Cheers

QNH 1013
27th Jul 2001, 21:27
Hi Skyfarmer,
David Hoys book is well worth seeking out but do you already have the CAA IR book? If not, you certainly need to get a copy. It covers all the details of the test, including test standards, limits, and common reasons for failure. It is certainly worth having.
I assume your training organisation has a copy but if you are training for the IR the nice people at Flight Crew Licensing will send you a copy free-of-charge.
The full (rather catchy) title is:
Standard Document 1, Version 2. Notes for the guidance of applicants taking the initial instrument rating flight test (aeroplanes).
I suppose its not really free, its a loss-leader to get you to sign up for the £564 flight test. Good luck, I hope you find it easier than I did!

HomerSimpson
28th Jul 2001, 04:40
When I was looking to do my IR, I tried to get hold of a copy of the David Hoy book, I was told it was out of print till mid June/July this year. They said it was being updated. Have you tried AFE or Transair, or try getting the ISBN number and looking on Amazon books website? (Sorry I don't have the ISBN) :cool:

29th Jul 2001, 22:45
amazon.co.uk have it in stock. I got one from there recently.

BmPilot21
29th Jul 2001, 22:58
Try www.srg.caa.co.uk (http://www.srg.caa.co.uk)

this is the link for the IR information leaflet that you can download.

[ 29 July 2001: Message edited by: BmPilot21 ]

Topper187
29th Jul 2001, 23:47
David Hoy, that names sounds familier.. Isn't he the one who does recuiting at cabair??

eyeinthesky
30th Jul 2001, 00:38
I have a copy but would rather like to hang on to it. I got it from Transair about 3 years ago. ISBN NO 1-85310-487-6.
Good luck with the hunt.

Sean Dell
30th Jul 2001, 12:33
Try Cabair, they used to have a stack of them there when DH was working there. Made nice coasters on the coffee table!

Seriously though - I've got one somewhere which you are welcome to. Drop me an e-mail.

Jimmy Mack
30th Jul 2001, 19:26
It is out of print - as it is being revised for JAR. The old copy is available from the library - cos I went to my local library and they got it sent down to me from Aylesbury.

To be honest, having just completed the IR, I didn't find the books very much help - the schools teach it differently.

Best tips I can give you:

- study the IFR charts
- study the approach plates (really understand what they are saying...e.g. look at Exeter ILS plate and see if you can spot the 4 major differences that approach has)
- get the a/c checklist and learn it
- practice on a Flight Sim, using the checklist at the same time.

All of this was much more useful than the book, although I read through it 5-6 times.

Good luck!

AirScream
31st Jul 2001, 12:04
I saw the book up in the South Terminal viewing gallery. All I know is that it is the spotters haven - I know not the name of the shop. There were actually guys with headsets and laptops tracking flights and stuff and writing down registrations. I reckon they had better info than ATC!!!! :D
I would have checked in with them to find out when the flight I was waiting for was due but I didn't really want to have to wipe off their enthusiasm afterwards :eek: :eek:

Have you got that book yet or what? :rolleyes:

skyfarmer
31st Jul 2001, 13:25
Thanks all,
Finally managed to track down a copy through a Waterstones shop in Leeds, they had a copy in a London branch. It should be with me this morning.
Thanks for the link for the CAA IR guidance notes, I did have a copy printed out from a while back, but it has now been revised. Version 3.
Post has just this minute arrived, and I have just been handed the parcel, looks like it has arrived. Either the book or the CPL has arrived back from the CAA. No not the license, it is the book.

Thanks again all,

skyfarmer
31st Jul 2001, 13:29
I have just opened a second letter from www.exedra.co.uk, (http://www.exedra.co.uk,) booksearch. They have found me a copy, £38. The one from from Waterstones was £20 + p&p

I did try Transair, Pilot warehouse, Pooleys, amazon etc. no luck

Pub User
10th Aug 2001, 03:30
Does anyone have a more precise link to the info on the CAA website?

skyfarmer
10th Aug 2001, 12:29
http://www.srg.caa.co.uk/pld/fcl/fcl_information.asp?category=12

Is the menu page for the docs.

It is a crap site though, I imagine you tried to find it first but gave up?. I spent a good 20 mins this morning using a 512k connection and eventually gave up. Luckily some one came in who knew where it was. Even using the sites built in search engine could not find it! It might have been easier phoning them.... Only joking

Driver Jake
10th Aug 2001, 16:01
Sky Farmer
Spoke to David Hoy about your predicament and the book is definately out of circulation with no plans for updating at the present time. The library apparently is your only hope! Why do you want to buy a book that is out of date anyway?

DJ :D

skyfarmer
10th Aug 2001, 16:11
It was recommended to me as a book worth getting. Managed to get a copy from Waterstones, they had one left in stock. The principles involved are the same regardless of the accuracy of the CAp54 stuff in the back

Does David say if/when a new version is coming out?

Neil