PDA

View Full Version : ANR Headsets

Cat.S
17th Jun 2002, 18:59
Probably a daft question this, but not as daft as not asking it! I fancy getting an ANR headset, but am concerned it will also filter out the sound of the stall warning buzzer. Can anyone enlighten me?

slim_slag
17th Jun 2002, 19:53
ANR headsets are great and filter out the low frequency engine/prop sounds, so if anything you will be able to hear the horn far better! Of course, it won't help you feel whats going on in planes without a horn :)

You can convert (http://www.avweb.com/sponsors/headsets/index.html) your existing comfortable headset, or buy a new one and just keep your previous headset for a passenger.

If you have a LOT of money to blow, the Bose ones are sweet!

IRRenewal
17th Jun 2002, 21:51
I converted my DC's with a kit I got from Adams Direct (http://www.adamsdirect.co.uk). I love it! Makes it easier to understand the radio and really cuts down on fatigue. Well recommended. Stall warners are generally high pitch and are not affected by ANR, since these mainly work in the low frequency region where passive noise attenuation does not do a good job.

Cheers

Ps: I do not have any interest in the company mentioned above, and assume the same kit is available from other sources in the UK.

eyeinthesky
19th Jun 2002, 16:04
Any other recommendations or otherwise on ANR headsets up to, say £400? Also, how does the performance of the conversion kit on a DC compare with DC's own ANR headset?

Would much appreciate any feedback as I think this will be the next purchase!

FlyingForFun
19th Jun 2002, 16:06
Don't quote me on this, but doesn't the stall warner, in certain aircraft at least, get reproduced through the headset? In which case, it wouldn't be an issue.

Or you could fly a real plane that doesn't have a stall warner! ;)

FFF
---------------

slim_slag
19th Jun 2002, 17:26
From what I understand, the conversions are as good as the manufacturer's ANR. ANR is great, especially for those of us who have already damaged their hearing in their youth getting stupidly too close to loudspeakers when at loud concerts/clubs. My ears ring after a long flight when I use passive headsets, nowhere near as bad using ANR.

Make sure you don't lose the battery boxes, they are very expensive bits of plastic to replace. I duct tape the box to the cable now so it doesn't get left behind.

While you are at it, I'd also buy gel seals and cloth ear covers. They make longer flights far more comfortable, for me at least.

tas
19th Jun 2002, 17:57
eyeinthesky

I bought a Lightspeed 25XL ANR headset about 6 months ago from the US.

They are absolutely amazing!!!

tas

Jhieminga
20th Jun 2002, 03:30
I once flew with a friend's DC 13XL and was immediately hooked. One problem though: it costs $600! I ended up buying the Softcomm C90 (www.softcommheadsets.com) which does essentially the same thing for half the price. The electronics are not as sophisticated as the DC ones, but the end result is the same.

The only thing that gets filtered out is low frequency noise, so don't worry about the stall warning horn, I find I hear it better with the ANR on.

The Nr Fairy
20th Jun 2002, 07:36
A minor word of caution. An R22 was badly damaged ( albeit with no injuries ) when it was oversped to the point the tailboom fell off - literally. The student pilot had an ANR headset on, and was concentrating so hard on one aspect of the flying he forgot to monitor RPM. it's possible he'd have heard it if he'd not had the headset on.

This isn't to say ANR is bad - just, as with all things in flying - be aware of its limitations.