PDA

View Full Version : Cessna 172 in West London

ELT
17th Jun 2002, 11:56
Can anyone recommend a club in London that has a good C172 to train on/ gain JAR
I have a PPL from Dunnunda and want to re-start flying here with an instructor

Either that or I'll have to convert to a Piper (hmm) as this seems to be the prevalent aircraft in most clubs

any suggestions would be gratefully accepted

Thanks

FlyingForFun
17th Jun 2002, 12:13
White Waltham have a couple of brand new (well, they were new when they were acquired a year or so ago) C172s. They look like they're very nicely kitted out - but I've never flown them. I don't know the price - I'd guess it's a bit pricy, because they're so new (and because Waltham isn't cheap), but it's an excellent, friendly club - I'd definitely recommend it.

There are plenty of other schools in West London, though, so you should have no problem finding something to suit you.

FFF
----------------

eyeinthesky
17th Jun 2002, 12:30
Wycombe Air Centre at Booker have 172s, some new, some old. The new ones go out at Ģ155/hour dual including landing fees!

notmemorable
17th Jun 2002, 15:20
The Pilot Centre at Denham has quite a nice 172 for GBP 135 dual (I think). Itīs a small but very pleasant club to fly with - the same is true for Denham as a whole. www.egld.com

WAC at Booker are good - they are just more expensive and the airfield can be a bit of a madhouse at times.;)

Warped Factor
17th Jun 2002, 20:52
I've done a few hours on one of the White Waltham new build C172SP's.

As mentioned, very nicely kitted out indeed and IMHO worth paying a little extra for.

Hire rates etc can be found at the WLAC (http://www.wlac.co.uk/) web site.

WF.

Wycombe
18th Jun 2002, 07:53
ELT,

As notmemorable says, WAC aren't the cheapest, but you'll find very high standards, nice new aeroplanes (esp. the 172SP's, although even the "older" 172's are in good 'nic for Club aircraft) and, yes, the airfield can get busy, but there is "proper" Air Traffic to keep it all under control, hard and grass runways, and plentiful Class G airspace to the North, up to FL55 (not bad for somewhere so close to the LTMA)......

The man formerly known as
18th Jun 2002, 08:34
Another view is don't get hung up on flying one aircraft.

Pipers fly very much like cessnas, the only real difference being the fact that pipers have fuel pumps .

Like you say Pipers do seem to be more common so if you can't find a 172 it won't be a biggy to swap over.

Whatever you do decide to do good luck and have fun.

ELT
18th Jun 2002, 11:26
Great, thanks for the replies, much appreciated