PDA

View Full Version : Tablets in the cockpit

dwabo1981
15th Sep 2015, 12:26
OK, cant seem to find much info about this particular question..maybe I'm looking in the wrong area...
But within General Aviation, PPL flying etc... How are iPads/Tablets integrated within the cockpit and pre planning for flights?.. I'm aware of moving map software like SkyDemon etc but how are people using them as an aid or preparation to flying.
particularly interested in IOS apps / compatible apps that aid the pilot or pre flight planning...
many thanks

dirkdj
15th Sep 2015, 16:56
Why don't you do a 30 day free trial of Skydemon to see how it works? You can run it on a PC, iPad or Android tablet. Do your planning at home on the PC, print the plates you want printed if any, save the route to the cloud at home and then go flying with your tablet.
On your trial version you can run the internal GPS (or external Bluetooth GPS) for 10 minutes or so to see how it works. At home you can put the tablet in simulator mode and get the feel for the program.
I use it for both VFR and IFR, most approach plates are downloadable from the AIP via Skydemon, it can switch the map display from VFR to IFR with airways in seconds. Nothing else comes close for this side of the pond.

dwabo1981
15th Sep 2015, 17:30
I already have an Air Nav Pro and a SkyDemon account...
I just wondered, other than for Nav purposes, how are people using Tablets for aviation and what other beneficial apps and programmes are people using.

FREDAcheck
15th Sep 2015, 23:18
I already have an Air Nav Pro and a SkyDemon account...
I just wondered, other than for Nav purposes, how are people using Tablets

I tried it as a drinks mat, but my gin and tonic slips off the screen.

the_flying_cop
15th Sep 2015, 23:51
I keep a nurofen and a Benadryl in my left sleeve pocket. Just in case.

PURPLE PITOT
16th Sep 2015, 09:07
Immodium is always handy.

dwabo1981
16th Sep 2015, 09:18
Comedians..
waiting for one to come along and then 3 arrive..
I wondered how long it would take..haha ;)

Cusco
16th Sep 2015, 13:27
When I signed up to SkyDemon on my iPad I looked forward to being able to dispense with paper charts/airfield plates in the cockpit as have many commercial and private pilots.

Sadly I have experienced several episodes of sudden and complete shutdown of the iPad due to overheating (worse on hot days but can happen anytime)

A few minutes with the iPad by the footwell fresh air vent restores it but I'm afraid I will now never relinquish the paper chart or copies of airfield plates because of this.

Cusco

Jan Olieslagers
16th Sep 2015, 13:50
By the time one is aware things like Immodium might be in order, it is usually too late... consider declaring a Mayday, perhaps...

Seriously though: anyone who spends the amount of money required to keep a certified plane flying is a fool to rely on "consumer grade" pseudo-avionics. It must all be on the same line of cost/reliability: either you go for certified but then you go for certified avionics too; or you fly on a PtF and you concoct what you can - AND have your plan B for the day your concoction suddenly stops.

Myself in the second category, I have survived a couple of sudden stops. Combination of good luck and good plan B, up till now. Fingers crossed for tomorrow.

dirkdj
16th Sep 2015, 14:08
A tablet running Skydemon is not a replacement to my GNS430 but an addition, I cannot take the GNS430 home and do flight planning on it. The map on the GNS is prehistoric compared to SD. The GNS is fine flying airways or doing approaches. SD shines during the airways-to-VFR field transitions such as EDFE where you need to do several miles of precision VFR navigation after being dumped out of controlled airspace.
I have terrain warning on both GNS and SD. If the GNS would fail completely I would be happy to fly home or anywhere else on SD alone. My Android tablet has never overheated in about 2.5 years of use. I lost GPS signal a couple of times until I switched to a Bluetooth WAAS GPS receiver at a cost of about 80€.
In my opinion SD is not a replacement for a paper chart either, but I don't do WW2 navigation any more except to show young people how it was done.

I prefer to follow the magenta line, on the GNS supplemented by SD, while looking out for traffic while VFR and taking care not to infringe any airspace I am not cleared to enter. Only a few percent of my time airborne is spent watching the moving map on the tablet. I find it liberates me, keeps the NOTAMs available and most frequencies are only a tap away. There is rarely any concern about whose airspace I am in right now or in 5 minutes.

The fact that it is not a certificate piece of equipment means that progress and new features are added quickly and customer wishes are taken into account, sometimes days after making suggestions.

Gasil
16th Sep 2015, 14:40
I do a standard flight plan on a map and use Sky Demon as back-up. It works very well. I would never use any electronic device approved or otherwise as a primary navigation option.

G

PURPLE PITOT
16th Sep 2015, 15:11
You would be surprised at the number of biz jets that are blasting around the planet using iPads as the primary electronic flight bag, approved by the relevant authorities.

We have world wide jepps, weight and balance, and performance software, all approved.

As a back up, we print departure, destination and alternate plates as a trip kit.

FREDAcheck
16th Sep 2015, 15:21
Sadly I have experienced several episodes of sudden and complete shutdown of the iPad due to overheating (worse on hot days but can happen anytime)

I have SD on a Tesco Hudl 2, but also run it on a Samsung smartphone in my pocket as a backup. A smartphone is smaller than ideal, but way way better than nothing and fine for a backup.

I do a standard flight plan on a map and use Sky Demon as back-up. It works very well. I would never use any electronic device approved or otherwise as a primary navigation option.

I would agree that reliance on a single method of nav is risky. I constantly cross-check SD against what's outside the window (or with radio nav when IMC). I normally draw the track on a map, and I print out the pilot log from SD (and mark ETA/ATA as I go along). It's daft not to have a backup nav strategy in case SD stops working.

ALEXA
16th Sep 2015, 17:57
I use Skydemon on an iPad 2 and copy the Skyedemon produced route and plog details onto the paper chart and also put the basic plog details on a paper plog for my kneeboard (I don't have the facility to print a plog etc from the iPad when planning at the airfield).

The ipad goes on the other knee, so I have the option of using the paper plog and chart as my primary means of navigation with Skydemon as a back-up, or vice versa.

However, the magenta line is very seductive and I find myself drawn to it. If it works properly, it removes most of the guesswork from navigation, but I'm sure it removes the skills too.

I've had had one iPad overheat this year - the iPad shut down for the last 30 mins of a flight that was close to controlled airspace. I was grateful that I had the back up of the paper chart and plog - without them I would have been well outside my comfort zone!

Jan Olieslagers
16th Sep 2015, 18:16
the Skyedemon produced routeThe loveliest typo I've seen in quite a while. The islanders will adore it!
Not referring to "this":http://www.isleofskyewhisky.com/ I hope and trust?

Genghis the Engineer
16th Sep 2015, 18:45

G

Why not?

A moving map GPS usually is incredibly user friendly and workload reducing. Why not use it for primary navigation? - just don't rely upon it as the sole source of navigational information.

G

Spamcan defender
16th Sep 2015, 18:53
When I go XC flying of any reasonable length, I will plan using SD in advance and print out the PLOG at the latest opportunity to get the most accurate weather. I will draw up the VFR chart with route and have it handy in the cockpit.
I also input the route into my Garmin 696 which stays handy in case of ipad failure. Just as a complete belt and braces, I setup the GNS430 with a rough route just in case.

I'm amazed I even have the time to get off the ground with all this programming of electronic wizardry!!!

:):)

Spamcan

MichaelJP59
22nd Sep 2015, 08:44
I had to do a Proficiency Check recently as my SEP was lapsed; it was highly entertaining doing the Nav part and digging out the old whizwheel again, then while flying the leg checking the map and trying to decide which abandoned airfield I was looking at.

Reminded me though how much safer it is to have a moving map like SkyDemon, much less time spent head down if used correctly.

flybymike
22nd Sep 2015, 08:54
And I do a standard flight plan on SD and use a map as back up. I would never use a map as a primary means of navigation.

dirkdj
22nd Sep 2015, 16:00
On my last IR Prof Check, I explained to the IRE that I wanted to use SD as supplementary navigation tool. He said OK and was very impressed with it.