PDA

View Full Version : Tower Webcams

Joe Curry
8th Sep 2015, 10:16
The recent meeting of the Edinburgh Airport Consultative Committee suggested installing a public webcam on EDI's tower, objections were raised by ATC that the flashing red light on the camera might confused pilots. What's going on here? I have never seen a public webcam with flashing lights.
The EACC webpage is down at the moment.

Carnethy
10th Sep 2015, 21:24
Wouldn't have thought lights on a camera would distract aircrew. Reckon it would be a great idea! Would have to be a streaming cam similar to what they have at Edmonton, Alberta.

Live Cam | Edmonton International Airport (http://flyeia.com/node/10401)

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
10th Sep 2015, 21:27
Hopefully not to peer inside the tower as did police cams where I once worked.

Glamdring
13th Sep 2015, 14:05
I hope you're right HD or else I might have to stop wearing my superman onesie to work on nights :ok:

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
13th Sep 2015, 16:26
It's OK - we fixed them, but I'm not saying how. Sounds like you'd have gone down well on our nights!

13th Sep 2015, 16:49
I don't understand the automatic British "No" to such suggestions. In fact the opposite would be advantageous in the rare event that something happened. Cameras are cheap, plentiful and small.
Hundreds of airports have them.....handy for the aircraft enthusiast......try Salzburg on a Saturday during snow season.....I fly to Dusseldorf quite often...I've even tracked other family members walking through the terminal....very handy.
[Absolutely not true.....just in case civil liberties geeks are monitoring]

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
13th Sep 2015, 18:07
When I was at LL we asked for CCTV cameras to enable us to see down "blind" cul de sacs - refused on the grounds of cost. Meanwhile, another agency had 32 cameras in the central area to watch road traffic!

Reverserbucket
14th Sep 2015, 14:17
Which caused consternation as they could also view inside the carpark's within the central area (considered private property (NCP)).

T2 - The Queen's Terminal, now has in the region of 1800 separate viewing devices (internal and external fixed and Pan-Tilt & Zoom) across the estate - and that's just one terminal.