PDA

View Full Version : Faa credit card type licence

Kestrel
6th Sep 2015, 07:46
I hold a paper type Faa licence having not flown there for around 7 years now.

I understand they now have a credit card type:

Does anybody know how I'd go on about excising my paper type to the card type also, What is the procedure getting our CAA to complete the licence verification form that I understand one needs to take to the FSDO office in the states?

Thanks for any info in advance

piperboy84
6th Sep 2015, 08:27
https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/certificate_replacement/

Think is costs about $5, i believe you can do it all by mail with Oklahoma City

DLT1939
6th Sep 2015, 18:08
On the other hand, if your paper certificate was issued under FAR 61.75 on the basis of a UK licence which will now have changed to an EASA licence you can still use the special process for reissuance described here:

https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/easa/

This involves a visit to Gatwick as described here:

Re-issue of FAA Certificate for UK licences issued after 17 September 2012 | Private Pilots | Personal Licences and Training (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=2685&pagetype=90&pageid=16668)

ahwalk01
7th Sep 2015, 11:18
Paper licenses have been invalid for some time. Best to give them a call.

Maoraigh1
7th Sep 2015, 20:06
If you had an old pre-JAR UK licence when you got your FAA one, you may have a different number on your present UK/EASA licence, which will have to be sorted out.

Kestrel
27th Sep 2015, 15:19
So after paying a visit to LGW for the verification...what does one do then...? Is it postal then to Oklahoma or can i visit the FSDO in the state i am travelling to?

DLT1939
27th Sep 2015, 19:31
They will mail you your credit card certificate. Allow about six weeks for it to arrive. See note on their website:

NOTE: A temporary airman certificate will NOT be issued by AFS-760. The airman will receive the plastic certificate approximately 30 days after the foreign country has contacted our office with the complete reissuance request.

Kestrel
27th Sep 2015, 19:50
So DLT139

Apologies for the questions ...How will the FAA know that it's the credit card type I'm after..I still have the paper old type that I've had for around 10 yrs....do I have to say I've lost it or will they auto send out a new licence..what I'm getting at is what will prompt them to send a credit card type?

Cheers for your info

Kestrel

worldpilot
27th Sep 2015, 20:30
Kestrel,

As of March 2010, FAA only issues pilot certificate in plastic (credit card) format.

You should have actually converted your paper certificate to the plastic format by the aforementioned date though.

WP

Kestrel
27th Sep 2015, 20:50
And what is that date

worldpilot
27th Sep 2015, 21:15
March 2010

Kestrel
28th Sep 2015, 05:22
So does that mean I'm wasting my time ?

So in theory what do I do now then if it's after 2010

Sam Rutherford
28th Sep 2015, 11:11
Still worth contacting them - but I do know there was a plan to reissue with a photo. Not sure where they are with that plan, though...

If you find out, please post here!

Cheers, Sam.

worldpilot
28th Sep 2015, 14:13
Kestrel,

If you're now in possession of EASA licence, then your FAA paper licence (if previously issued on the basis of UK licence) isn't valid anyway, because of the change in the number. You need to go through the re-issue process as narrated in the posts above.

If you successfully complete the process, you'll receive the FAA plastic licence.

WP

dublinpilot
28th Sep 2015, 17:00
To be clear, under no circumstances is Kestrel's licence valid, and he should not fly based on it. The cardboard airmans cert are no longer valid. Only the credit card ones are now valid.

How he gets a new credit card one will depend on which sort of an FAA airmans cert he has.

Did he do the FAA Skills Test, and get a stand alone licence, or did he get one based on an ICAO licence?

Kestrel
28th Sep 2015, 20:02
Hi Dublinpilot, It was based upon my UK LICENCE which I got when doing done flying around 2000/2001

DLT1939
28th Sep 2015, 21:26
Hi Kestrel

AFAIK the reissue process I described above will work even if your FAA certificate is the old expired paper one. You will need to take the certificate to LGW, together with the other documents, so they can verify the number and quote it to the FAA.

If you want to be sure you can call Ms Tona Gates, the manager of the Airmen Certification Branch, on +1 405 954 3822 or e-mail her on [email protected]