PDA

View Full Version : Different titles - same job

beerdrinker
27th Aug 2015, 15:29
On the east side of the pond and I think in the antipodes, the guys who train and check are called Training Captains. (There are some Training F/Os) I emphasise they are examiners who can sign off one for a recurrent check or for part of a conversion course but can also instruct on a conversion course or during the instructional part of the recurrent check. There is also a beast called a Route (or Line) Check Captain who does the annual check on performance when flying a revenue sector.

The cousins who fly under the auspices of the FAA (and Transport Canada - I think) have Pilots called Check Airman.

Who does what and what are they called in the States? (For Route Training they do something called IOE, Initial Operating Experience when converting?)

Thanks

Bd

Intruder
27th Aug 2015, 20:30
Training Instructor: Ground and/or Simulator instructor. Cannot give check rides.

Simulator Check Airman: Can give annual Proficiency Checks.

DE (Designated Examinrer) or TCE (Training Center Examiner): Can give ATP and Type Ratings in the simulator.

Line Check Airman: Can give annual line checks in the airplane, as well as OE and IOE.

IOE (Initial Operating Experience): Initial flights in an airplane type at an airline under supervision of a Line Check Airman.

OE (Operating Experience): Initial flights in an airplane as a Captain under supervision of a Line Check Airman. IOE and OE are ~25 hours and/or 6-8 segments.

MarkerInbound
27th Aug 2015, 22:05
It's all OE now, for FOs and Captains. IOE is a term that won't go away, like a BFR.

AirRabbit
24th Sep 2015, 03:26
• Training Instructor: Ground and/or Simulator instructor. Cannot give check rides.
• Simulator Check Airman: Can give annual Proficiency Checks.
• DE (Designated Examinrer) or TCE (Training Center Examiner): Can give ATP and Type Ratings in the simulator.
•Line Check Airman: Can give annual line checks in the airplane, as well as OE and IOE.
• IOE (Initial Operating Experience): Initial flights in an airplane type at an airline under supervision of a Line Check Airman.
• OE (Operating Experience): Initial flights in an airplane as a Captain under supervision of a Line Check Airman. IOE and OE are ~25 hours and/or 6-8 segments.

Hi Intruder – speaking for the rules/regs in the US… (if memory serves … and there are some doubts about that particular aspect … as, I understand, is typical of those of us who have managed to tear calendar pages off the wall by the hands full for as long as I have …)
•A Simulator Check Airman can, indeed conduct annual proficiency checks … but only in the simulator. The title used on the certificate is usually “Check Airman – Simulator.” Check Airmen who can conduct proficiency checks in the airplane are have the title “Check Airman – Airplane.”
•Again, the DE or TCE have any applicable ‘limitations’ indicated in the title … such as DE Airplane, DE Simulator, or DE Airplane / Simulator
•The same holds true for TCE’s – understanding that most designations for Training Centers are for ‘simulator’ application only, as very few Training Centers actually conduct training and/or checks in the airplane.
•Your references regarding Line Check Airmen are essentially correct, except that in some cases a F/O new to the airplane or the airline, may function in that category with a specifically designated Captain, authorized to conduct F/O IOE flying in the left seat, without his/her necessitating a designation as a Line Check Airman.