PDA

View Full Version : Should I get my PPL now?

Completely Concorde
22nd Aug 2015, 20:35
Hi all, long-time lurker here. Instead of rambling on, I will put together a bit about me:

20 y/o student at a RG uni (subject non-related to aviation)
Have wanted to be a commercial pilot since age 11
Worked part-time to save and now deciding to take the plunge in gaining my PPL
Will graduate in 2 years time

I have wanted to be a commercial pilot for nearly a decade now but decided to go down the uni route as a "back-up" and because I couldn't afford the integrated route from OAA or CTC at the time. When I graduate (2017) I'm hoping to apply to programmes such as the BA FPP although I know the chances of being accepted onto such a course is extremely slim. In which case, my only other option is to head down the modular route. However, to finance this, I will have to work for a few years after graduation and then commence with training.

I have saved up enough money currently for a PPL and I have booked my first couple of lessons. I figured this would be a good move if: a) I apply to sponsored schemes because it helps show you are dedicated to working towards being a pilot and b) if I go down the modular route, it's one less licence I have to obtain.

However, since I'm not graduating for another two years, and I'm hoping to have my PPL completed in 18 months at the most, I then have to finance in the "upkeep" of my licence to which I have read I should budget around £3000-4000 per year.

Firstly, I don't want to give myself too many hours at the risk of looking unattractive to a airline running a sponsored scheme as although they may look favourably upon a PPL-holder, I have heard rumours it's best not too have too many hours since they may prefer the candidate to be slightly more of a 'blank canvas'. In addition, the budget per year to keep up my skills may be more difficult during my final year of university when I plan to cut down my part-time work hours to concentrate on my studies.

Should I start my PPL now or wait a little longer?

abgd
23rd Aug 2015, 03:21
To succeed in your plan, you will need to get a good degree. My concern would be that whilst not difficult, there's a fair amount of theoretical work to do for the written exams (if tickboxes can be counted as 'written'). I would be very wary of jeopardising your current studies as this would impact on both plan A and plan B. It may be that you can get things done e.g. in the summer holidays in which case it may not be an issue.

If you just want to get in the air, you could consider some other form of sports flying e.g. microlights/paragliding. There's plenty you can pick up there in terms of risk assessment, theoretical knowledge, that would do you no harm at all when you switch to powered flying.

xrayalpha
23rd Aug 2015, 08:04
Hi, welcome to pprune.

May I suggest the following as a first port of call:

Aptitude Tests - Air Pilots (http://www.gapan.org/career-matters/careers-information/aptitude-tests/)

You might then find that you are, perhaps, not the sort of person the sort of airline you want to work for are looking for!

Or you might find you are just the right sort of person!!

Either way, it gives you two things:

Some self-knowledge and some experience of interviews.