PDA

View Full Version : Luton Minor?!

09GregRoy
21st Aug 2015, 22:54
Hey,

Has anybody got any experience flying one of these Old girls?

Low hour PPL been tempted by one of these Planes for a few years now?

Seem very cheap to run and low maintenance costs, may not be the fastest planes in the world but I'd love to fly something vintage, being a taildragger and open cockpit its certainly different.

Thoughts??

Thanks Guys :ok:

shortstripper
22nd Aug 2015, 06:37
I had my first ever aircraft share in one (G-BBCY). A delight to fly, very easy and safe. A bit slow obviously but you'll learn a lot and have a lot of fun ....So my advice would be to go for it!

SS :ok:

ak7274
22nd Aug 2015, 08:07
Great fun. Does exactly what it was designed for. If you like it, buy it.

09GregRoy
22nd Aug 2015, 08:42
Cheers Guys,

Like I say i'm very tempted, Just trying to find an airstrip fairly local where I could base it :).

I'm surprised so far by the costs :D Doesn't seem to be that many?...

rans6andrew
22nd Aug 2015, 20:22
Before buying my first aircraft I had a yearning for something with built in "nostalgia" and checked out a Luton Minor. Are they all built for midgets? I was in my early 40's at the time and still fit and flexible but I was in danger of doing myself a serious injury trying to get into it. If you are over 6 feet (I am 6'4") you might need to think again.

Best,

Rans6.........

creweite
23rd Aug 2015, 16:39
Former owner of G-AFIR, rebuilt by Arthur Ord Hume. I found that with the JAP 36HP engine the aircraft was a tad underpowered. I had the opportunity to fly the late Don Peacock's Minor which had a 55HP Lycoming, nice! In general, the ailerons are not too spritely, but the very sensitive rudder makes up for that. And as was noted above, getting in and out requires some flexibility! But once inside the cockpit I found to be roomy and comfortable. An enjoyable way to see the countryside, at least it was before the great airspace grab!

Arclite01
25th Aug 2015, 15:45
I have flown a couple.

I concur that they are snug once you are in, and you need to be double jointed to fit in one.

Negatives

Visibility upwards is zero
controls sloppy
general speed slow
fuel capacity limited
most are underpowered
VW powered ones can be a pain to start by hand
no two are alike..........
build quality varies immensely
Can be interesting in a crosswind

Positives

They are great fun