PDA

View Full Version : Use of mobile phones on board during refuelling

Harpu24
17th Aug 2015, 15:17
There is an extensive use of radios, wifi around refueling airplanes and we always been instructed that you shouldn’t transmit whilst being aircraft is refueled. Is there any threat when somebody is using a mobile cell-phone on board or near the aircraft during the refueling process,Most airlines offer “Wi-Fi services that use air-to-ground towers similar to cell phones and permit the usage of wifi services by the passengers during refueling of the aircraft .Why does the usage of mobile cell phone is considered to be a dangerous procedure by many aviation experts during refueling of the aircraft,What is the airbus recommendation on the usage of mobile cell phones during refueling ?

ExXB
18th Aug 2015, 11:50
Many petrol stations on both sides of the Atlatic ban the use of cellphones on the forecourt, so it would seem prudent to do the same with aircraft refuelling.

However Kerosine is a lot less flammable than petrol/gasoline.

I recall that Mythbusters failed to prove the danger of forecourt cellphones, but, better safe than sorry.

Harpu24
19th Aug 2015, 12:20
this is what Airbus has to say :

1. DGCA Rule 25 A (Refueling ):

a. No rule on the usage of PEDs or mobile phones however there are following rules on the usage of aircraft electrical radar and radio systems
b. Aircraft electrical radar and radio systems shall not be operated and the switches relating thereto shall remain in the "OFF" position(Not applicable to power & light essential for fuelling, minimum cabin lighting, steady parking lights)
c. The ground supply units, including the associated electrical equipment, shall be flame-proof , approved by the Chief Inspector of Explosives, otherwise they shall be stationed at a distance of not less than 15 meters, in the case of gasoline or wide out fuels and 6 meters in the case of straight kerosine, from the aircraft and the fuelling vehicle
d. In the event of fuel being spilled, fuelling must cease and the engine of the ground power supply units must be stopped, but the electrical circuits and switches should on no account be touched except for the purpose of stopping the power unit. Prior to recommencing fuelling, action must be taken to clean the spilled fuel. Fuel must not be washed into sewers or drains

2. Airbus –Engineer, Fuel Systems / In-service information (Airbus ): Use of phone cell during refuelling:

a. Airbus do not have any restrictions on operating GSM cell phone, WLAN devices ("Wifi"), WPAN devices ("Bluetooth") or Private Mobile Radios ("walkie-talkies") outside of a safety zone extending 6m (20 foot) radially from the refuel coupling, open access covers and the vent NACA ducts. Inside this safety zone, no types of intentional transmitting equipment can be used, including radios, cell phones and pagers.
b. Reason : certain radios should not be used during refuel is that metallic structure and components on the aircraft and the refuel browser can act as antennas in presence of radio waves. If a metallic component is not grounded, high energy transmitted by radio can create high potential differences and cause a spark. This spark can ignite fuel vapours present during refuel operations since it cannot be guaranteed that all possible items surrounding an aircraft at refuel are grounded, the use of HF radio and certain others high power radios is prohibited in industry guidelines from IATA.
c. When the Aircraft is at the gate, the use of cell phone and any other intentional transmitter (satellite phone, pagers, walkie-talkies...) inside the cabin may be allowed by the captain, when at least one main door is open and at the condition that the cabin doors (escape door) that could be within the refuelling safety area are closed.
d. Airbus has recommended to refer authority for further information / recommendation

IOS_331
21st Aug 2015, 19:11
I use my phone from the minute we land, the whole duration of the twenty five minutes turnaround up until take off, I've never seen it as an issue. Many other crew members do the same, who ever is not taxiing or doing paperwork is usually on the phone, whether it's calling, texting, checking emails or taking pictures.

We also have company issue IPads which are constantly being used, I saw one captain last week taking a picture of the landing gear during refuelling.

Personally I don't think it's an issue.