PDA

View Full Version : Odd but serious question .....

Lep Recon
17th Aug 2015, 10:03
As a regular user of Cork airport, I notice (over the years), that the jet bridge/gantry's (call them what you will), are never used. Instead all SLF are debussed on the ramp and walk into the terminal building - the reverse for departure. Is this simply a cost exercise (avoiding the obvious [all], gantry's are u/s), is it more cost effective to use the ramp rather than the gantry? Thanks a million, Lep

pattern_is_full
18th Aug 2015, 07:00
Interesting.

The current google maps satellite shot shows only one jet bridge installed (Gate 9, coincidentally with a jet using it) but it is tagged as 2013, so may not be up-to-date.

Large turboprops may either have their door at the rear (ATR 42/72) - which means the cockpit would have to crash through the waiting area windows for a jet bridge to reach it - or too low for jet bridge use. Or both.

But I bow to better local knowledge....

172_driver
18th Aug 2015, 10:25
Common these days with the introduction of low cost carriers. Turn around time is expedited by using both front and rear door for embarking and disembarking using internal or external mobile airstairs. 'Old style' parking positions with jet bridges seem to have little provision to collect passengers from the back door so most often only the forward door is used.

Chesty Morgan
18th Aug 2015, 10:33
Nothing stopping them using an air bridge and the rear door though.

I think I've been 'air bridged' at Cork a few times (E195 and 737).

It'll just come down to cost. If the handlers charge you 55 quid to print and deliver a flight plan I wouldn't like to think how much an air bridge would cost.