PDA

View Full Version : Oil check: Piper Warrior

Speedbird744
15th Jun 2002, 13:28
How does a pilot on the Piper Warrior know when he/she opens the engine cowling that the oil quantity is between 6-8l?
PLEasE heLp!

foghorn
15th Jun 2002, 14:02
By opening the oil filler cap, wihtdrawing the dipstick and making sure that the top of the oil is between the 6 and 8 quart marks.

Easy.

oxford blue
15th Jun 2002, 16:40
That's a bit unkind, XXTSGR. Everbody's got to learn sometime, you know. In my book, the most important virtue for any pilot is humility. Never be ashamed to admit you don't know. That way, you might learn, and in doing so, you might save someone's life - even your own.

Don't put down people who are only trying to learn.

QNH 1013
15th Jun 2002, 20:15
On most of these Lycoming or Continental engines the dipstick is combined with the oil filler cap. If, when you unscrew the oil filler cap it doesn't withdraw a long dipstick then it has broken off from the cap and fallen down the filler tube out of reach. There is usually a baffle to prevent it going right into the oil sump, but the aircraft is u/s until you get it out and fit a new filler cap / dipstick.

I should ignore the clever dicks and their less-than-helpful replies. In my opinion, if you don't know the answer you are only going to find it by looking it up or by asking someone who knows. Best plan is to get someone to show you on the aircraft. They can then also show you how tight to do up the oil filler. Many are damaged by overtightening and on the older spring-clip type, if you don't ensure all the clips engage, then the filler can come off in flight allowing oil to escape and the oil pressure to fall. One of our group members had this happen to him. Fortunately he spotted it in time, landed, and saved the engine (and himself).

PPRuNe Dispatcher
16th Jun 2002, 12:35
When you've got the cowling open to check the oil, have a good look at the engine. Does it all look right? Are their any cracks on the exhaust? Any around the top of the plugs? Any oil leaks? Any lose or damaged cables or hoses? and so on...

Find an instructor with an interest in aero engines to show you what to look for. I find it all pretty fascinating...

Mik

DB6
16th Jun 2002, 14:48
XXTSGR, why shouldn't people ask questions, however basic, on this forum? I don't think it's the case that everyone who posts is already qualified, and if you're sitting at home with no POH in your bookshelf and no instructor handy, where better to ask?
Speedbird, ask away old chap - although with that username people may assume you will know a few things already.

B2N2
17th Jun 2002, 00:01
Speedbird,I agree with all of the above..
However...this sort of stuff should have been demonstrated to you by an Instructor before you intro-flt..or wil me demo-d to you at your intro-flt.....no worries mate!:D :D :D

bertiethebadger
17th Jun 2002, 14:57
When you open the starboard cowling, the dipstick will be the most prominent thing in front of you. A 1.5 inch wide tube with a screw cap. Undo the cap & hopefully, 1 dipstick.

Take some kitchen tissues & you could then wipe the dipstick to get a good look at the difference on the dipstick between the 6 & 8 marks.

And don't put it back on too tight. The next pilot wont thank you for it!

As mentioned above, get someone familiar with the plane to show you everything, not just the engine, all the hinges, clips, pull rods....

BtB