PDA

View Full Version : American Airlines Flight 669 Engine Fire Out of Philadelphia

PastTense
8th Aug 2015, 03:05
A commercial airliner made an emergency landing Friday night at Philadelphia International Airport after one of its engines started shooting flames, authorities and witnesses said. The Airbus 320 with 140 passengers landed safely at 9:22 with no reported injuries, police said.
An airport spokeswoman said it was American Airlines Flight 669, which had taken off for Seattle when it reported an engine problem and returned to the airport. The Federal Aviation Administration said it was investigating.

At 8:55, police started receiving 911 calls about a plane in distress.
Ethan Burger, 16, said he was on the flight when he noticed “some kind of bumping noises” and the plane “shaking a bit” after takeoff. He opened his window and “there were flames spitting from the engine,” he said
Plane with engine fire makes emergency Phila. landing (http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20150808_Plane_with_engine_fire_makes_emergency_landing_at_P hila__International.html)

dixi188
8th Aug 2015, 07:04
Sounds like engine stall or surging to me. Not a real engine fire.

framer
8th Aug 2015, 07:12
Don't make 'em like they used to. Pity.
Sure don't. Engine failures are pretty rare now. Not sure why you think it's a pity though.

TowerDog
8th Aug 2015, 09:04
. He opened his window and “there were flames spitting from the engine,” he said

He should not open his window if there was a fire outside.:sad:

poorjohn
8th Aug 2015, 11:02
Sure don't. Engine failures are pretty rare now. Not sure why you think it's a pity though. The problem is that engine shut-downs in flight have become acceptable. "We're very nearly 100% sure the other one will keep running for a while longer" is delusional in a world where operations and maintenance take place with an eye on the bottom line.

lomapaseo
8th Aug 2015, 11:41
where operations and maintenance take place with an eye on the bottom line.

I certainly hope so, engine failures are expensive!

framer
8th Aug 2015, 12:35
The problem is that engine shut-downs in flight have become acceptable.
That's not my experience. Do you think they are more acceptable now than in 2005? 1995? 85?