PDA

View Full Version : Delta operated SkyWest flight catches fire at Nashville Airport

Johno8
7th Aug 2015, 19:20
This would not make my day as a passenger or flight crew, or even the ground crew!!
Delta operated SkyWest flight catches fire at Nashville Airport - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/07/us/plane-catches-fire-at-nashville-airport/index.html)

barit1
8th Aug 2015, 02:34
Fumble fingers? Delayed ignition?

West Coast
8th Aug 2015, 03:37
Forgot to arm the ignition, wondered why no light off, selected ignition on,and poof.

Just an educated guess. Yes, for those about to reply, on the 200 series, you arm the ignition, on later models you don't have to. Those who regularly fly the other versions seem to overlook the ignition part of the flow and checklist somehow.

theredbarron
8th Aug 2015, 13:12
Best wet starts were on Viscounts' Darts. With the jet exhaust pointed down towards the tarmac the flame effect could be quite dramatic, not to say underwear destroying for those who hadn't seen it before.

barit1
8th Aug 2015, 13:36
I'm sitting here thinking "I've been here before".

About 20 years ago, in the "sandbox", I was monitoring special instrumentation on a calibrated engine. It was loaded with preservative fluid in the fuel system, and the test bench crew attempted a normal start without flushing the system first.

Ign on, starter engaged, fuel on at 10-15%. No light because of no Jet-A yet in the burner; but the preservative soaked the whole turbine section. Finally she lit - with lots of fire out the tailpipe!

The throttle jockey chopped the fuel AND disengaged the starter. BIG mistake #1.

Fire still burning, so he re-engaged the starter. BIG mistake #2. When the starter caught up to core speed, the impact sheared the quill shaft. Now we're unable to blow the engine dry.

Fortunately no real damage. And they drew a new quill shaft from stores, had a GOOD briefing, and repeated the exercise. Correctly this time!

Vulcancruiser
8th Aug 2015, 23:55
a non-event hot start........now if you want real fun I had the starter motor fly out of the nacelle on a 737-300 with Continental long ago in the dark ages. Now that was a sight, the sparks flew and it looked like somebody hit the nacelle with a chain saw. Even more fun were the hot starts on the really old F-27 Fairchilds particularly the wimpy "B" models. Fuel would puddle in that big exhaust stack and then not only light off with a nice bang but would DRIP flames down to the ramp...........LOL........talk about some bug eyed folks ready to get out and walk.........but it was all in good fun and they all made it fine........unfortunately no IPHONE videos back then so hardly anybody knew about it.............:ooh:

Caboclo
9th Aug 2015, 07:45
I recall a wet start when I was quite young; probably a 707. "Hey Dad, is it supposed to do that?"