PDA

View Full Version : Closest airfield info required, N Wales

Fionn101
28th Jul 2015, 12:52
Hi All,

I am hoping to fulfil a life long dream and see the Vulcan display at Rhyl's airshow on Saturday the 29th of August. Home - Rhyl Air Show 2015 (http://rhylairshow.co.uk/)

I will be travelling from Dublin, Ireland in a C150.

Can anyone with local knowledge please tell me which would be the closest airfield to land at? and how much should a taxi cost from here to the display?

I will stop in at a customs airfield first (probably Caernarfon ).

And lastly , I do see mention of an Airfield at Rhyl , although probably not open to G.A. over this weekend ? would anyone know (no listing for visiting aircraft on the airshows website).

Thank you all in advance, hope to see some of you there, and to hear some car alarms being set off !

Cheerio,
Fionn

Above The Clouds
28th Jul 2015, 12:57
Hawarden EGNR 35 mins down the road with normal traffic also has customs and SB.

Fionn101
28th Jul 2015, 13:28
much obliged Above the clouds, I owe you a pint.

Fionn

JRFD
28th Jul 2015, 13:37
Hawarden shuts at 1600(L) on Saturdays.

Jan Olieslagers
28th Jul 2015, 14:18
also has customs and SB.

What is SB and why is it relevant?

Cpt_Pugwash
28th Jul 2015, 14:56
Don't know if either strip is suitable for a C150 but Rhedyn Coch and Greenlands are sited either side of the A55 at Rhuallt, just 4 miles or so from Rhyl.

ETOPS
28th Jul 2015, 15:34
Jan

SB is a secret Police unit that checks flights from suspicious countries like....

The Isle of Man and Eire :ooh:

magpienja
28th Jul 2015, 17:48
Jump on a bus from Caernarfon to Bangor and jump on one of the regular trains that pass through Rhyl.

Or give Lleweni Parc Gliding Club at Denbigh a call...I think the accept visitors...its around 7 miles from Rhyl...the have a surface long runway.

Let us know how you go on Fionn.

Nick.

alland2012
29th Jul 2015, 15:45
There is also Blackpool Airshow 9th / 10th August where the Vulcan will be making an appearance as part of the Sunday schedule

Them thar hills
29th Jul 2015, 18:29
Captain P
Rhedyn Coch and Greenlands - both are north of the A55 ! Well they were when I last landed on them...... (the strips owner will confirm this !)
TTH

Fionn101
30th Jul 2015, 11:11
Thank you all for your response. a few options to consider alright.

I quite like the fact of a hard surface and only 7 miles in a taxi so I will give the gliding club a call.

As a Plan B, or due to failing weather, I will purchase a flight to Liverpool and take a train down to Rhyl. Lovely spot Wales, looking forward to it.

Cheers,
Fionn

Cpt_Pugwash
31st Jul 2015, 00:06
TTH, apologies if I have provided duff gen.

The strips I referred to are shown on the pic below. The obvious one at bottom right I know as Greenlands, although I have seen it called Bryngwyn Bach, with Rhedyn Coch on the other side of the A55 at the top centre.

http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr144/pugwash09/Airfields_zps5plezxdl.jpg

proplover
31st Jul 2015, 17:29
Fionn101 - Ok the situation is:

1)As stated Hawarden is around 35mins away however the traffic getting into N.Wales by 11ish can be desperate plus there will be added cars due to the show. And Yes unless there is another reason Hawarden shuts up at 16:00

2) Caernarfon, lovely as it is it will take you longer to get to Rhyl from there than it does to fly from Dublin to Caernarfon - its quite remote with limited transport.

3) Bryngwyn Bach is a long sloping grass strip but the owner will not let you land

4) Rhedyn Coch - there is a single aircraft based here, short grass strip experience recommended - stip is undulating and often has sheep on it.

5) The one called Greenlands is deserted, not on the map anymore and very short and very rough

6) Lleweni Park (Known as Glider Site) Yes there is a central tarmac strip however I believe its only 6-8m wide. The owner gets upset if you end up on the grass (especially if its long and due for a silage cut) as the sub contracting farmer demands a rebate every time a plane runs into the grass! By all means try it but make sure you have a taxi waiting as again its quite remote.

So not much joy there Im afraid - at least with Blackpool you can land, park and catch a convenient tram\bus or coach to the site some 3 miles away :-)

Thomas coupling
2nd Aug 2015, 16:02
Ffion: Fly into hawarden. That takes care of the a/c, security, customs etc. Catch a taxi to SHOTTON, approx 5 minutes taxi ride. Arriva trains to Rhyl, approx 25 mins. Walk from rhyl station to the promenade, approx 5 mins.;)

fireflybob
2nd Aug 2015, 17:05
This might be worth a look at:-

Lleweni Parc (http://ukga.com/airfield/lleweni-parc)