PDA

View Full Version : PA18 and PA38 operating data.

Genghis the Engineer
14th Jun 2002, 09:36
A habit I have picked up from a mispent youth of professional flight testing is that I keep a store of kneeboard cards covering the minimum data I need to be able to operate various types I've flown.

I've just realised when going through my collection, that I lack the emergency actions and engine limitations for the PA18-150 (super cub) and PA38-118 (Tomahawk). Does anybody happen to have a POH for either or both that they wouldn't mind Emailing, posting or faxing the relevant bits from the couple of relevant pages to me? The only reward for this philanthropic act I can offer (apart from the good feeling of helping out a fellow aviator) is that you'd be welcome in return to a copy of the completed kneeboard card.

Thanks in advance for all and any help,

G

FlyingForFun
14th Jun 2002, 10:37
I have access to a PA18 manual - although it's not with me right now. Unless anyone else gets back to you before, e-mail me by 5pm today with exactly what you need, and I'll look it up over the weekend, and send it to you on Monday.

Having said that, the PA18 manual is, well, thin, compared to other POHs for other CofA aircraft that I've seen. I'm sure it'll have any engine data that you're looking for, but as for emergency actions, I think Piper's attitude was that the aircraft is simple enough that you can just try flicking every switch in turn :eek:

FFF
--------------

'India-Mike
14th Jun 2002, 11:31
Genghis

I've got a PA38. Happy to fax the relevant pages, if you supply the no.

Genghis the Engineer
14th Jun 2002, 12:50
Many thanks chaps, I've Emailed you both.

Cheers,

G

mad_jock
14th Jun 2002, 17:28
Would your hard work be available for a suitable donation to the pprune fund?

Your collection of kneeboards sounds a very useful addition to a flying instructors flight bag.

MJ

Genghis the Engineer
14th Jun 2002, 18:42
At the moment it's a bit of a jumble (read shelf-full) of handwritten notes, wordprocessed things, photocopies, etc. Myself and a friend who have a couple of hundred types between us are trying to put it all together into a standard format for our own use, and ultimately we may approach an aviation friendly publisher (we're both in the trade, so recommendations not needed). So at present, it would be difficult to make many of them publically available.

What we're doing at the moment is trying to mangle it into a standard format, which is harder work than anticipated, and tends to show up gaps (like the engine limits on a PA38 for example). The problem is that often one has access to an aircraft and it's documentation whilst doing a job on it, and afterwards not - so although they're in the logbook the Tucano, Jaguar and DC3 may just not get included sadly.

If or when we do end up with a coherent set in a standard format, it may be that we could do a deal with Danny on the subject if he'd like to make them available through Pprune as a fundraising effort. But, to be honest this is going to be at-least a year away at our current rate of progress.

Having said that, if you'd like to see what we're trying to achieve, drop me an Email and I'll send you an example, either something you probably know like a PA28 or something you are unlikely to like an Easy Raider or N3N if you're interested.

G

Courtman
14th Jun 2002, 20:17
Genghis,

Within your library would you have any information on the PA-28-140 as I am due to fly one in a couple of weeks and would be interested to see how it compares with the PA-28's I normally fly (-151, -180C).....

Any info you have would be great.

:) :cool: :)

Genghis the Engineer
15th Jun 2002, 00:12
Nothing I wrote myself, but there's a booklet called "handling notes" from Pooleys on the 28-140 which I've a copy of, I think Pooleys sell it for about £4 and it's pretty comprehensive.

G

john_tullamarine
15th Jun 2002, 08:49
Essential actions on the SuperCub, after dropping the last glider off ... if conditions are good .... include ..... mixture to ICO .... bank into thermal .....

The ideal toy for a boy ....

Genghis the Engineer
15th Jun 2002, 16:16
Not recommended on aircraft not fitted with electric starter.

G

john_tullamarine
16th Jun 2002, 02:08
A valid concern .. but never was a problem on the two which I flew many years ago ... and one ensures that there is always a nice aerodrome not too far away ....

... however, I'm not too sure if I would be interested in such things these days, though ?

FlyingForFun
17th Jun 2002, 09:28
Gengis, as promised:

I couldn't find any reference to any emergency procedures in the PA18 manual. I seem to recall there being some kind of emergency procedures in the checklist - but the checklist lives in the plane, and the plane was out flying, so I couldn't check. I'm also not sure whether that was an official Piper check-list, anyway.

I did find a page of engine limitations, though. Hope they're useful:

Fuel: the minimum grade of fuel approved for use with this engine in 80/87 octane.

Oil Temperature: normal operating range: 120 to 245 degrees F (green arc)
Caution: 40 to 120 degrees F (yellow arc)
Maximum: 245 degrees F (red line)
Minimum: 40 degrees F (red line)

Oil Pressure: normal operating range: 65 to 85 lb/sq. in (green arc)
Caution: 85 to 100 lb/sq. in (yellow arc)
Maximum: 100 lb/sq. in (red line)
Minimum: 25 lb/sq. in (red line)

Engine Speed Limitations: The maximum permissible rotational speed for all conditions of flight is 2,700rpm (red line). The normal operating range is from 500rpm to 2,700rpm (green arc).

Use of Mixture Control: The mixture control is only to be used to maintain "Weakest mixture for maximum power" conditions when cruising at altitudes greater than 5,000 feet, or to avoid rough running due to over-richness in all other power conditions and must not be used to cause a drop in engine speed.

And that's about it!

FFF
-------------