PDA

View Full Version : Explosion proofing

SunnyUpHere
24th Jul 2015, 21:19
Interesting possibilities with this idea;

Aircraft 'bomb bag' limits on board explosion impact - BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-33650713)

ekw
26th Jul 2015, 09:54
They never mentioned the weight but I imagine this would be the biggest limiting factor. Sounds like somebody needs their research grant renewed.

Solar
26th Jul 2015, 10:43
Idea has merit.
The cynic in me still does not see a reduction in airport security hassles any time soon though. Where would all the "trained" workers go!!!!!!
My son is a commercial kitchen fitter and on a recent course on installing gas water heaters which generally are wall mounted they were advised by HSE that these should all be contained within floor cupboards for safety in the event of an explosion. When the son pointed out that the normal cupboard would not be very effective at containing it and in fact could very well increase the potential damage he was told in no uncertain terms that it was now the law.

MG23
26th Jul 2015, 16:43
They never mentioned the weight but I imagine this would be the biggest limiting factor. Sounds like somebody needs their research grant renewed.

They say it's 1.3mm thick, so presumably it can't weigh anywhere near as much as the luggage contained inside it.

I liked the part about having a bag in the cabin, so if someone is carrying a bomb on board, you can toss them in there before they blow up.

Nialler
26th Jul 2015, 19:51
Damn!

I'd have got it away it but fer you pesterin' kids.

*Rips off pilot face to reveal - well - something else.*

ion_berkley
26th Jul 2015, 22:53
I would think this is at least equally interesting to the Freight guys...could well be a life saver if they can zip up the contents of their pallets in something like this for fire suppression.

Ian W
27th Jul 2015, 10:49
It does make you wonder what would happen with a pallet of Li-Ion batteries were to be in a bag like this. Would it contain the fire? It could even be based on a small bag for each battery. Although a bomb is a flash fire and done, whereas the batteries are longer burning.

Derfred
27th Jul 2015, 13:32
Or in the event of a cargo fire, would they reduce the effectiveness of the cargo fire suppression?

bvcu
27th Jul 2015, 14:11
Got the impression it needed space to deform and absorb the explosion so couldn't be full and needed space around it ? So couldn't be full ? or have i missed something ?

RF4
29th Jul 2015, 07:06
Yes, they state that it will require space inside to accommodate gaseous expansion from the explosion, probably something in the order of 20-30 % expansion space. They also state that the bags are designed to expand, rather than rupture, so that additional space would be required to be clear of all bulkheads when it expands explosively. All told it will probably require expansion space of at least half again the volume of the contents. The space calculations and packing will need to not be haphazard, but will probably require either an on-ramp supervisor, or a very sophisticated computerized loading procedure.

Now then, Mr Bean Counter these bags are not cheap, but they only add about 20 % to the freight weight, and only require 50 % more space on board the A/C. The extra supervisor and loading labor should not be too expensive. Just think of all the lives that will be saved ..... but ....... but ... an onboard explosion could happen any day now ................................................. . . . .