PDA

View Full Version : Your fuel sample......?

Nopax,thanx
14th Jun 2002, 08:44
If you should go flying in the USA in the future, you'd better be aware of this...(From 'Aircraft Maintenance' June issue)

While pilots are often accused of cutting corners when it comes to
pre-flighting an airplane, there's one step that almost never gets
skipped: sumping the tanks. The penalties for missing this one are
just too great. And in a growing number of locations, the penalty for
doing it can be pretty big, too. Just ask the people at Embry-Riddle
Aeronautical University's flight operation in Daytona Beach, Florida.

"The standard practice of sumping a fuel tank and tossing the sample
in the air can get you two, possibly three EPA [Environmental
Protection Agency] violations," explained Jack Haun, director of
aircraft maintenance for Embry-Riddle. "One, throwing the fuel sample
contaminates the air. Two, when it hits the ground, that's another
violation, even if the tarmac is treated. The problem is residue run-
off into the ground water. And three, there's another violation if
the fuel sample contacts unprotected skin." Aviation gasoline, it
should be noted, contains tetraethyl lead and is a source of lead
contamination in the environment

...better not tell the UK Environment Agency about that one!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Lawyerboy
14th Jun 2002, 08:51
An obvious question, I know, but what are you supposed to do with it?

Aussie Andy
14th Jun 2002, 08:52
... you just did :)

Draco
14th Jun 2002, 09:12
Quote:

"An obvious question, I know, but what are you supposed to do with it?"

Drink it. No violations, as doesn't contact air, skin or ground.:)

Nopax,thanx
14th Jun 2002, 09:14
In the USA, they have, I guess, a nominated area for disposal, with tanks, etc..much as you would have with other forms of Hazmat.

Of course, for a big flight school like Embry-Riddle, it's a viable proposition - but just imagine your local aero club coming out with that one!

Genghis the Engineer
14th Jun 2002, 09:27
Pour it carefully along the crack between paving slabs, then it is deliberate use of weedkiller to prevent an airfield safety hazard forming.

Works at our place anyway.

G

Julian
14th Jun 2002, 10:28
I have seen bins for disposing of oily rags/empty oil cans but never anywhere to pour waste fuel.

Maybe if its ok you should climb back on top of the wing and pour it back in, just think ....... another 0.000000121 minutes flying time! :)

Biker Pilot
14th Jun 2002, 11:43
Julian sed:

> climb back on top of the wing and pour it back in

If there is water contaminating the sample... :eek:

BP

Who has control?
14th Jun 2002, 12:35
Bearing in mind the amount of unleaded 95 RON that escapes into the atmosphere everyday, everytime a car gets filled up, our fuel samples are insignificant.

AerBabe
14th Jun 2002, 14:44
I pour it into a little bottle I got from Boots with a pump spray thingy cap. Great for cleaning maps off, and spraying behind the ears before a night out :D

If my bottle happens to be full I pour it onto one of the many mole hills where we park the a/c ;)

Who has control?
14th Jun 2002, 14:49
Brings a new meaning to the term 'petrolhead' .....:)

Julian
14th Jun 2002, 14:49
BIKERPILOT,

Re-read my post, I said if its ok not if its got contamination! :)

Julian.

stiknruda
14th Jun 2002, 15:40
I do as Aerbabe does!

Normally drain the fuel in the hangar so having checked it pour it into an old syrup tin. When I want to wipe the belly down I use contents of said tin.

I use another syrup tin to catch any goop from the crankcase breather then use the contents of this tin to lubricate the rollers on the hangar door.

I save the waste oil after an oil change and use this for the chain bath in the gang mowers.

What a rock and roll life, eh?

Stik

Nopax,thanx
14th Jun 2002, 16:00
So, who's the most environmentally friendly then?

stiknruda for re-cycling all of his hazmat, or the mandarins in the USA for making everyone dispose of it in an approved manner, and forcing them to buy more stuff for cleaning and lubing!

Next they'll have refuelling a la formula 1, with a hose that don't vent any vapours to the atmosphere!

It's a funny old world sometimes.......:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

knobbygb
14th Jun 2002, 19:02
Nopax, they already have hoses like that at many gas stations over there. A flexible sleeve fits over the filler cap and collects any escaping gas as you fuel.

All very well, I suppose, if you're that keen on saving the whales and things, but what I want to know is - I've paid for all the fuel I dispense, vapour included - does the pump give me a refund for the recovered gasses?:p

Incidently, I used to work for the Environment Agency here, I was very surprised when, on my first lesson, I was told to dump the fuel on the ground. Never got round to looking into the official position on that ('cos I have a life) - anyone know what the rules are?

mattpilot
14th Jun 2002, 20:34
THIS IS WHAT YOU DO:

A couple of months ago the EPA told Spartan School of Aero in Tulsa, OK that we can't pour the fuel on the ground anymore. So spartan bought these "GATS" Jars from Sportys. They are big jars that basicly filter out water and other bad stuff. It has a special filter that 'prevents' water from getting through the net. Actually, since fuel is 'lighter' then water it goes through the net first and water is stuck. once fuel is gone water slowly drips through, but by that time you should of stopped pouring anyway.

Anyhow, once you sumped all the sumps, you open the fuel cap and pour it back in until all the fuel is gone. If you feel thirsty at this point you may drink the remaining water. ;)

This is NOT required at all airfields and is relatively a new procedure.

Hope i could help.

Fokker-Jock
14th Jun 2002, 21:24
Why not just put in into the fuel tank of your car ? Even with water, a car's engine wouldn't react to it noticably at all,, or what I did, when attending flight school. Just pour it into a metal drum or whatever, and when full, just fill it in the fueltank of my car,, It works. However I should mention that the flight school I attended is in Norway and fuel here is rather expensive ( 1,2$/l)!!
that's around 50$ for a tank of fuel.. Attending flight school isn't cheap either so doing this would keep my car filled up anyway :D

Dale Harris
15th Jun 2002, 14:38
Obviously, your car doesn't have a catalytic converter then, FJ??

slim_slag
15th Jun 2002, 16:56
All very well, I suppose, if you're that keen on saving the whales and things

Americans think locally, and this simple trick really helps keep down the smog in the big cities. If you have ever seen LA on a bad day (or not seen it :) ) you will know what I mean. In California, they are deadly serious about smog - they are even banning (or already have) those petrol blowers they use to keep gardens clear of leaves and other junk.

AVGAS fuel trucks don't have the same recycling mechanism, and I believe AVGAS has a waiver from all the enviromental regulations. It doesn't surprise me that at some places the EPS has come in to some airfields, but I cannot remember anywhere myself where I've seen this. In low wing planes it's easy to put clean fuel back in the tank, doesn't do any harm.

knobbygb
15th Jun 2002, 18:43
I sure have seen LA in those conditions and totally agree with you, slim I was just being a bit flippant earlier. Your gas stations have the right idea.

I do worry about the amount of pollutants I'm pumping into the atmosphere when flying. I'd be the first to use somthing cleaner like one of the new Jet A burning pistons, if:

a) I could afford my own aircraft, and
b) could afford to modify it.

For now, looks like we don't have much choice.

I would consider pouring the fuel samples back into the tank, although doing this (x 3) and leaving the filler caps off during the walkround could surely lead (eventually) to someone forgetting to put one back on afterwards. Will 20 or 30 cc of fuel on the ground really make a difference when you're about to burn 10 gal/hour?