PDA

View Full Version : Maths in PPL(A)

116i
23rd Jul 2015, 15:47
I am about 25 hours into my PPL and failed maths badly at school (20 years ago). I studied Engineering at college and failed it again (got 12%). I got a private tutor and retook the exams, which I failed again spectacularly (8%). I was referred to an educational psychologist and was diagnosed with Dyscalculia.

Ive really enjoyed my PPL so far and my instructor is great. I really feel Ive taken to flying. Ive passed all my exams, only ones left are Navigation and Flight Performance & Planning.

However, Im struggling with the simplest of calculations (fuel calculations/speed/crosswind compnents etc).

Does anyone have any recommendations or advice with regards to the level of maths required for Flight Performance and Planning?

If Im going to give up flying, this is the time I feel I'll need to.

Cheers

RTN11
23rd Jul 2015, 18:42
Get to know how to use the flight computer, that will help you answer any maths questions in the exam.

For real life, print a table of the common ground speeds your aircraft will fly, then plot them against the distance so you can simply read off the time it will take. You'll be able to use this even in your flight test with no issues at all.

Radix
23rd Jul 2015, 21:14

Sir George Cayley
23rd Jul 2015, 21:17
You'll find 70% of pilots struggle with some calculations while the other 40% seem to manage OK.

SGC

What?