PDA

View Full Version : Robot for a Co-Pilot?

Mark in CA
22nd Jul 2015, 06:10
I'm confused by this article (written by an acquaintance of mine). Is it saying that the solution to the distance created between pilots and their aircraft by automation is to add more automation that can take over control of the plane in situations where the pilot gets confused? If so, it's pretty easy to figure out where that will eventually lead.

A Machine in the Co-Pilot Seat (http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/21/science/robot-co-pilot-darpa-alias.html)

vapilot2004
22nd Jul 2015, 06:34
Already in place. It's called automation, yes?

Ah, but upon actually reading the link, I see this one is different in a few ways. You can see it at work - no mysterious behind the scenes activity, and it has an off switch. Brilliant!

capt.cynical
22nd Jul 2015, 07:00
The joke about the Pilot and the Dog come to mind !!!

4Greens
22nd Jul 2015, 18:52
The more we talk about automation the more we forget about cyber attack. Just been tried out on cars.

DirtyProp
22nd Jul 2015, 19:39
Awesome!
Finally someone (something) I can insult, curse, and yell at without fearing a lawsuit.
I'll have 3, please.

Good Business Sense
22nd Jul 2015, 19:47
Not new - Had a few of those in the past !! :p

Smudger
22nd Jul 2015, 22:31
What a stupid thread

111boy
23rd Jul 2015, 00:15
We've got lots of SOP robots at our place, I think it's a clever thread. Co with an off switch, no more need of CRM. If you could guarantee that his landings weren't quite as good as yours.....

Pilat
23rd Jul 2015, 00:57
Pilot error, of course, is a fancy name for Human error. Increased automation is simply removing/reducing the potential for Human error from the Pilots and moving it to the programmers, engineers or guys in bunker playing drone pilot.

Human error will always exist. Without it, who would the media have to blame? :E

L-38
29th Jul 2015, 07:20
Actually, the next leap will be to have the PIC in the airplane, but with the FO operating from on the ground. . . There will always be a survivor then in any circumstance.

LLuCCiFeR
29th Jul 2015, 09:10
Silly thread indeed, as airlines and manufacturers know that Pay2Fly F/O's are MUCH cheaper and they present very little liability and serve as perfect scape goats.