Tiger Tales
20th Jul 2015, 00:54
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a355/merlinmagic28/fisherman_boat.gif

BATCO
20th Jul 2015, 03:13
SARF
To get the ball rolling,
It depends………….

Assuming you don't mean the ASW Merlin, then a couple of advantages (seen from the back end) of the Merlin are:
- It can carry/deliver a full infantry platoon in one go
- The ramp is far far better for heavily laden troops

Batco

ShyTorque
20th Jul 2015, 07:01
You'd have to join the navy to fly a Merlin. Apart from that, it's not too bad.

A whole platoon? Why is that an advantage? From a piloting perspective, you only fly the cockpit.... :}

Frostchamber
20th Jul 2015, 09:39
According to the blurb the upgrade means the Mk2 can carry twice the payload over 3 times the range of the Mk1 without significant hot and high issues. Whatever the comparison with the Merlin, on the face of it that sounds an unusually worthwhile upgrade. I believe crashworthiness has also been improved, although how that compares to the Merlin I don't know.

Union Jack
20th Jul 2015, 09:41
Post No 2 suggets Marlin more than Merlin....:)

Jack

charliegolf
20th Jul 2015, 10:59
the Mk2 can carry twice the payload

Love to see it with 32 troops inside, al sitting comfortably!

CG

Frostchamber
20th Jul 2015, 11:30
Love to see it with 32 troops inside, al sitting comfortably!

CG

That may be what they mean by hot and high. In fairness, some would probably need to be slung underneath.

Sand4Gold
20th Jul 2015, 11:58
Fitting crashworthy seats into the Mk2 cabin has certainly restricted its troop lifting capability. Clear floor (Belize) F Troop style. :E

ShyTorque
20th Jul 2015, 12:20
In fairness, some would probably need to be slung underneath.

That's a good idea. The crewman could go in the underslung load net on a long intercom lead and supervise from there. He could also be a talking radalt.....in a fairly high voice, obviously. :ok:

Fareastdriver
20th Jul 2015, 20:22
Why is the Puma 2 still the only type of Puma of any variant in the world where the pilots are not allowed to use the designer and factory supplied cockpit doors?

Old-Duffer
21st Jul 2015, 05:39
Charliegolf,

Have you never heard of an unslung load?????!!!!!

O-D

andyy
21st Jul 2015, 08:39
I wasn't aware that there was a "pinger version" of the Puma 2 ever considered by the UK.

huge72
21st Jul 2015, 08:58
The Question really should be the one asked back in the late 80's answered for us by one Mr Heseltine. Is the Merlin better than Chinook? And the answer of course is No!!!! Puma 2 has replaced Puma1 and at last we have/are getting more Chinooks to replace an aircraft we were forced into buying to save jobs at Westland.

charliegolf
21st Jul 2015, 11:39
Charliegolf,

Have you never heard of an unslung load?????!!!!!

O-D

Yes, and banter too!:ok:

CG

Martin the Martian
21st Jul 2015, 12:40
I wasn't aware that there was a "pinger version" of the Puma 2 ever considered by the UK.

That one passed me by as well. I know that when the HC.1 was under development there was talk of selling the Puma to the Fleet Air Arm as a SAR cab to replace the Whirlwind. Unfortunately for Westland they were already delivering the Sea King, which freed up rather a lot of Wessex 3s to supplant the Whirlwind instead.

TorqueOfTheDevil
21st Jul 2015, 13:52
there was talk of selling the Puma to the Fleet Air Arm as a SAR cab to replace the Whirlwind. Unfortunately for Westland they were already delivering the Sea King, which freed up rather a lot of Wessex 3s to supplant the Whirlwind instead.

Presumably issues like endurance and lack of shipborne capability might have limited the appeal of the Puma as a potential SAR aircraft for the Fleet Air Arm!