PDA

View Full Version : Turkish jets "violate" Greek airspace

Wokkafans
15th Jul 2015, 20:59
What with all their monetary troubles and the protests tonight is there yet more difficulty on the horizon for the Greeks?

"A formation of six Turkish fighter jets violated Greek national air space in the northeastern, central and southeastern Aegean on Wednesday, defense officials said.

The Turkish jets, which were flanked on one side by another aircraft that was not a part of the formation, carried out a total of 20 transgressions, the defense officials said, adding that two of the aircraft were armed and that one dogfight occurred.

In all cases, the Turkish jets were chased off by Greek aircraft."

Turkish jets violate Greek air space | News | ekathimerini.com (http://www.ekathimerini.com/199572/article/ekathimerini/news/turkish-jets-violate-greek-air-space)

Courtney Mil
15th Jul 2015, 21:22
Unless Greece get their act together and vote in the terms of the next bailout, they won't be flying anything. You don't suppose Turkey realises that, do you?

Two NATO members having a squabble? That could get interesting.

Wokkafans
15th Jul 2015, 21:43
Unless Greece get their act together and vote in the terms of the next bailout, they won't be flying anything. You don't suppose Turkey realises that, do you?

Two NATO members having a squabble? That could get interesting.

Co-incidence?

15 July, 1974 Cypriot coup d'état:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1974_Cypriot_coup_d%27%C3%A9tat

20th July, 1974 Turkey invaded Cyprus: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkish_invasion_of_Cyprus

Herod
16th Jul 2015, 17:00
The UK was largely responsible for that little disaster. Under the terms of the treaty, we were in a position to demand the reinstatement of the status quo ante, and the return of Makarios. The British Government sat on their hands, and the Turks decided to act, to protect the Turkish Cypriots. If we had sent in a small force, removed Samson and reinstated Makarios, Cyprus would still be a united island.

Herod. Unficyp helicopter pilot 1969.

Wokkafans
16th Jul 2015, 20:11
A little bit more info on this incident. According to Turkish General Staff the Greeks (2 x F-16/ 2 x Mirage 2000) radar "tracked" two of the six Turkish F-16's for one minute and chased another.

Turkey Confirms Greek Jets Chased Turkish Fighters Over Aegean Sea / Sputnik International (http://sptnkne.ws/3tn)

Bigbux
16th Jul 2015, 21:40
I shouldn't think the Greeks would have too much to worry about, equipped as they are with shiny new F-16s.

Nice to know that the anti-austerity government truly believe in their cause when demanding money from the rest of us.

pr00ne
17th Jul 2015, 09:20
Nor would the Turks be worried, equipped as THEY are with equally new and slightly shinier F-16's...

Martin the Martian
17th Jul 2015, 09:28
I note also that while being broke the Greeks have sent a pair of F-16s to RIAT this weekend, where one will be taking part in the flying display. They're also doing Poland next month and the Czech Republic in September.

Great sense of priorities. At least the US military stopped doing airshows during sequestration, and the Greeks are in a far worse state than that.

Whenurhappy
17th Jul 2015, 10:17
These alleged 'violations' are part of the rich tapestry of life in the Aegean, where participants confuse FIR boundaries with sovereign airspace. For those who have worked in operated in the area, this is a distinct 'yawn'.:zzz:

Courtney Mil
17th Jul 2015, 10:35
I shouldn't think the Greeks would have too much to worry about, equipped as they are with shiny new F-16s.

But I wonder how much longer they'll be able to afford to fly them?

PhilipG
17th Jul 2015, 10:44
Soon no doubt the Greek Airspace will be being defended by the Luftwaffe....

Whenurhappy
17th Jul 2015, 11:16
Greek air space will be defende by the Luftwaffe...again.

Edited for historical accuracy.

PPRuNeUser0139
17th Jul 2015, 11:50
I once shared an office at SHAPE with a Greek officer. One day he showed me an English language version of a Greek military newspaper in which it stated unequivocally that Greece viewed its eastern neighbour (and fellow NATO member) as a higher priority threat than the WP.
As Whenurhappy observed, this particular spat (http://www.diploweb.com/The-Greco-Turkish-dispute-over-the.html) has been running for years.

Martin the Martian
17th Jul 2015, 12:22
And yet, Greeks and Turks have worked alongside each other quite happily at unit and individual level.

turboshaft
17th Jul 2015, 13:51
"A formation of six Turkish fighter jets violated Greek national air space in the northeastern, central and southeastern Aegean on Wednesday
Clever tactics. They probably expected to be violated from the West, i.e. through the backdoor.

smujsmith
17th Jul 2015, 18:44
Having done a tour at Akronelli in the early 1970's, it's a bit of a "rib tickler" that Greece and Turkey have such animosity. St Andrews street and its kebab restaurants in Limmasol were unbeatable, particularly Halils, yet the kebab is a Turkish, not Greek dish. There's no doubt that the occasional muscle flexing goes on, and has done for decades, I see no reason why. I know for fact that you can still get the full kebab in Limassol, it is just a bit more expensive than the £1 I used to pay, including unlimited Kokinelli. This sounds akin to the recent reports of "Putins" bombers attacking British airspace, nothing unusual until made so by press hype and population gullibility.

Smudge :ok:

2Planks
18th Jul 2015, 09:22
Plenty of rumours over the years that the Greek and Turk air ranks collaborated on maintaining the discord to ensure budgets did not come under threat. At the cockpit level the crews seemed to get on well at TLP although it appeared that the staff liked to keep them on the same side!!