PDA

View Full Version : AF B777 Engine fire in HKG

Koja
13th Jun 2002, 14:58
Anybody have anything else on this?

Reuters Company News
Air France jet lands safely in HK after engine fire

HONG KONG, June 13 (Reuters) - An Air France (Paris:AIRF.PA - News) jet carrying 274 passengers and crew was forced to return to Hong Kong early on Thursday after one of its two engines caught fire, airport officials and passengers said.

The pilots of the Boeing 777 (NYSE:BA - News) shut the engine down and the jet landed safely in Hong Kong at about 1 a.m. (1700 GMT Wednesday), a spokeswoman for Hong Kong's Airport Authority said. No one was injured.

Passengers on Flight AF-185 headed for Paris said they saw orange flames coming out of the left engine of the plane about an hour after what appeared to be a very rough take off.

"I thought we hit air pockets, but then I later saw orange flames coming out of the left engine of the plane," passenger Zheng Ling, from Guangzhou city in southern China, told Reuters.

"There was a burning smell and everyone became very anxious," said the 44-year-old, who was travelling with her husband.

A spokesman for Air France said the pilots decided to turn back to Hong Kong after one of the plane's engines had "technical problems".

Passengers from the flight were to be put on alternative flights later on Thursday.

Electric Sky
13th Jun 2002, 16:07
I like it ...... "technical problems" ...... surely the engineers can CFD an engine fire can't they???? :D :D :D

Are they GE90's on the Air France machines?

ES ;)

gas path
13th Jun 2002, 16:14
Oh No!!! not another special check coming up.:(

PaperTiger
13th Jun 2002, 16:18
Mix of GE90-90B and -94B on AF 777s.

What is the appearance of 'a very rough take off' ? Ought to be a law against quoting SLF.:mad:

gas path
20th Jun 2002, 10:14
For anyone that's interested, it appears that the fire and IFSD was caused by the HPC letting go due to (another) !! toggle seal failure.

evenflow
20th Jun 2002, 20:48
Much praise to the crew concerned. I am an ATCO and it seriously puts the wind up us when someone calls with this sort of problem. Glad I'm down here and not up there...welldone monsieurs

cirrus01
21st Jun 2002, 09:30
Those GE90s are an absolute Nightmare of an Engine........:eek:

Toggle seal problems ( a fix is reported to be two years away ) Booster stage problems.....etc, etc