PDA

View Full Version : Best shoe for an airline pilot

RMC
8th Jul 2015, 00:52
Plenty of threads on sunglasses etc any thoughts on the best shoe for a pilot.
Starter for ten
-No internal metal to set off metal detectors
-Sole that doesn't mean you fall a over t doing a walk around through deicing fluid.

G-man
8th Jul 2015, 01:12
Ecco shoes are comfortable enough for even the longest days. Take care of them and they'll last several years. They are pricey but definitely worth it. I believe most styles are airport friendly.

Intruder
8th Jul 2015, 02:50
I just buy New Balance black leather Walking Shoes from the local outlet. Comfortable, grippy soles, reflective tape on the heel.

Rick777
8th Jul 2015, 05:36
Rockports are very comfortable and not too expensive. I wore them for years and then switched to Ariat boots.

ASRAAM
8th Jul 2015, 06:13
I rather like Doc Martins. They are comfortable and the air ware sole is oil resistant and contains no metal. They went "trendy" a few years back and it can be a bit difficult to source a plain black shoe without visible yellow stitching. They do still make them though so don't let a store persuade you otherwise!

Togue
8th Jul 2015, 14:10
It's been discussed before.

http://www.pprune.org/north-america/559349-pilots-shoes.html

mustafagander
9th Jul 2015, 10:37
For me it's gotta be R M Williams elastic sided boots. The leather is good quality and they have a plain toecap which takes a good shine. They last a long time too.

Security sometimes pings them but they're a slip on/off so it takes an extra 30 seconds to remove them.

TrailBoss
10th Jul 2015, 03:48
Forty years in the industry and most of the time wearing RM Williams elastic side boots. Smart, comfortable and hard wearing. Hard to beat.

NZScion
11th Jul 2015, 20:49
For me it's gotta be R M Williams elastic sided boots. The leather is good quality and they have a plain toecap which takes a good shine. They last a long time too.

Security sometimes pings them but they're a slip on/off so it takes an extra 30 seconds to remove them.

+1 for R. M. Williams

TypeIV
11th Jul 2015, 21:02
I don't recommend shoes with all leather soles

olympus
12th Jul 2015, 12:45
I rather like Doc Martins. They are comfortable and the air ware sole is oil resistant and contains no metal. They went "trendy" a few years back and it can be a bit difficult to source a plain black shoe without visible yellow stitching. They do still make them though so don't let a store persuade you otherwise!

I agree; hard-wearing, discreet and they polish-up well. And it's Dr Martens btw.

Have a look here (other vendors are available!)

Luke SkyToddler
12th Jul 2015, 13:47
Blundstones for me, exactly the same as RM Williams but they cost a quarter the price

redsnail
13th Jul 2015, 19:27
RM Williams (comfort sole - no metal - oil resistant sole) for summer ops, Timberland insulated boots for winter ops (insulated, zipper, above ankle, grippy sole).