PDA

View Full Version : Heathrow report backs expansion.

Obba
1st Jul 2015, 19:04
834 homes to be purchased and owners given 125% of market value!

Heathrow and Gatwick, full at peak.

Will add £147bn in economic growth and 70k jobs by 2050?

Airports report backs Heathrow expansion - BBC News (http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-33340492)

Uncle Fred
1st Jul 2015, 19:08
Sir Howard has published his report but does anyone expect that a single shovel of soil will be moved within the next decade or so?

I do not mean to be overly pessimistic but the report is just that--a recommendation. Frankly, as we in the industry know, there would optimally be many runways poured in the region.

Development is full apace in the city. One would think an equal amount of development in airport infrastructure would follow.

I know this is not an easy problem to solve and I certainly could not be king for a day and bring it to rights, but it seems the bickering has just started.

silverstrata
1st Jul 2015, 19:36
Silly idea.

Unacceptable noise increase. Still hopeless for rail connections. Still too compact and crowded, in airspace, taxiways and stands. Still a nightmare to get between so many different terminals, in time to catch your next flight. Still dangerous to have so many approaches over the center of a capital city.

And I a not convinced that this extra runway will generate enough domestic European flights, to enable LHR to become a proper international interlining airport. LHR will never be able to compete with AMS, unless it gives cheap enough landing and handling fees and convenience to attract the likes of Easyjet. While I am not a fan of LoCos, they do attract a lot of interlining pax going international. Unless LHR does something drastic in their economic structures, I reckon I shall be interlining through AMS for a long time yet.

In short, the UK needs a new four-runway Thames airport, or London and the UK will lose its prieminent role in international trade, aviation, politics and banking.

Silver

BEagle
1st Jul 2015, 20:00
Destroy 2 villages and 834 homes....and create 70000 jobs?

Where will those workers live?

Utterly stupid nonsense to add yet further congestion to the wretchedness of Heathrow. I only fly from the place if there's no feasible alternative.....

DaveReidUK
1st Jul 2015, 20:01
Not a rumour, and as far as being news is concerned, it's 12 hours old (and being extensively debated in Airlines, Airports & Routes):

http://www.pprune.org/airlines-airports-routes/543230-another-runway-heathrow-8.html#post9030174

old,not bold
1st Jul 2015, 20:53
Yeah, yeah, whatever. The "Future of Air Transport", in reality a study into where to create new airport capacity for London, concluded much the same in 2003, after £100,000,000 (or was it £300,000,000?) had been spent on producing the report. I remember it because most of that was spent on consultants, including me.

The report was, of course, immediately ignored, shelved and forgotten by the politicians, whose very short attention span had moved on.

The Future of Air Transport did highlight the issue of air quality around LHR; nothing new there, and nothing has changed.

Now, no prizes for guessing what will happen to this latest report.

Uncle Fred
1st Jul 2015, 21:23
Why not just hire the Chinese to build Boris Island? We could be landing there in three years and most everyone would be happy.

Plus, as as added bonus they could stand up a rail link, an expansive car park, and enough duty free to keep those inclined to shop happy. Maybe even with the leftover time finish up any regional development projects that are behind schedule.

Fixed fee and just wait for it to be finished....

No...let's chat about it for another few years and then hire out another study.

kms901
1st Jul 2015, 21:28
The workers will live in sheds in Hounslow just like they do now. the pilots will be in Portakabin near Swindon.

PPRuNe Towers
1st Jul 2015, 22:55
http://www.pprune.org/airlines-airports-routes/543230-another-runway-heathrow-18.html

Rob