PDA

View Full Version : What would you have done?

Monocock
30th Jun 2015, 20:11
A few days ago I dropped in at an airstrip and got chatting to a nice chap. He was learning to fly and had brought his 15 year old son (plus son's pal) to the strip to have an evening wander.

I offered the lads a quick fly each and they both jumped at the chance. The father was happy for me to take his son, but I insisted that his son's friend called home and got permission from his parents.

They weren't available, so, to avoid being unfair, I arranged an evening next week to do it once his pal had got parents' permission.

Was I too cautious ?

Planet Basher
30th Jun 2015, 20:18
No, you were sufficiently respectful. Good call.

Pete O'Tewbe
30th Jun 2015, 20:21
In my opinion, you were spot on.

Possibly worth remembering the Colin Mcrae crash where one of the victims was a young friend who was onboard without the knowledge of his parents.

adambsmith
30th Jun 2015, 21:42
As the father of a 17 year old, I would have been very happy with what you did :ok:

porterhouse
30th Jun 2015, 21:43
Nothing is too cautious as far as GA is concerned. Parent's consent was indispensable.

Jetblu
30th Jun 2015, 21:46
Absolutely spot on....and a very nice gesture at that. :ok:

9 lives
30th Jun 2015, 23:47
That would have been my choice Monocock...:ok:

Big Pistons Forever
1st Jul 2015, 00:38
Absolutely spot on....and a very nice gesture at that. :ok:

^ what he said :ok:

airpolice
1st Jul 2015, 09:06
Absolutely correct.

Gertrude the Wombat
1st Jul 2015, 11:27
Correct. (If you'd been hiring the parents' signature would likely have been asked for.)

But maybe that kid will now nag his parents into getting mobiles!

rats404
1st Jul 2015, 17:59
Exactly the right response, and a very decent thing to do, Ma... Mono.

GAAV8R
1st Jul 2015, 18:22
(waiting for my first post to be moderated).. Have done the same.. Would want to speak to the parent first (which I did), too..

thing
1st Jul 2015, 19:19
Spot on, good call. (Or not as it turned out!)

Sir Niall Dementia
3rd Jul 2015, 07:57
Absolutely right. A couple of years ago I delayed departure in the jet to get parental pemission for a 15 year old school mate of a customer's son.

The 15 year old's parents were on holiday in Australia and knew nothing about a trip to Cannes. As it turned out they were happy, and my regular customer was surprised that so much care was taken, he was 30 minutes late off, but as he said "thinking about it, I'd have been worried if it was my boy, I just didn't think about it."

SND

megan
4th Jul 2015, 03:41
Was I too cautiousNot in todays litigious society, and congratulations on your offering the ride at a later date once permission obtained. Can't help feel though that the world has gone to the dogs. As a teenager I rode the bike five miles and virtually lived at the airport every chance I had, and with a mate were the unofficial refuelers (44 gal drums and quart stroke pump). An offer of a ride was never turned down, and the though of getting permission was unheard off, not that it could have been obtained in any event with no means of communication available. Parents were aware and nothing was said, rather the reverse, encouragement was the unspoken reality. (Mid to late 50s in the era of real aeroplanes - Tiger Moths, Chipmunks, Austers :))

Pull what
4th Jul 2015, 12:05
Great responsible attitude MC but it might be better if you did the phoning and then you are 'more' sure, if you know what I mean!

If you are hiring an aircraft you also need to be sure you are not violating any requirement in the Pilots Order Book or Operations Manual that may well require you to have written consent from the parent or guardian.

funfly
4th Jul 2015, 12:33
I personally would never recommend anyone to accept a flight with any other pilot unless they know him and his/her flying ability. The only exception is if the pilot was a qualified instructor or a holder of a commercial licence.

Cirrussy
4th Jul 2015, 12:43
I can think of a few FIs and CPL holders I wouldn't go flying with, too...

megan
4th Jul 2015, 12:53
I can think of a few FIs and CPL holders I wouldn't go flying withA sign of the times I'm afraid. In those days even a green PPL could be trusted, people in those days generally didn't have disposal income, in fact none of the pilots I knew did. What they did to raise the income to learn to fly was by means of hard labour put in after they finished their day jobs. Three of the gentlemen I knew dug septic pits in their spare time to raise the cash.

Pull what
4th Jul 2015, 13:30
The only exception is if the pilot was a qualified instructor or a holder of a commercial licence.

You havnt studied many accident reports have you?

Here are a few to start you off

https://assets.digital.cabinet-office.gov.uk/media/5422f698e5274a131700062f/S8-2013_BN2B-21_Islander_G-CIAS_01-14.pdf

Flintshire flying instructor and student were killed when their plane entered a spin too close to the ground - Daily Post (http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/flintshire-flying-instructor-student-were-5066131)

Flying instructor and student pilot killed in light aircraft crash | Daily Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2231871/Flying-instructor-student-pilot-killed-light-aircraft-crash.html)

British pilot Christopher Howell killed in New Zealand plane crash was taking flying lessons - Mirror Online (http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/british-pilot-christopher-howell-killed-3277159)

Leeds flying instructor goes to jail over helicopter death crash - Yorkshire Post (http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/main-topics/general-news/leeds-flying-instructor-goes-to-jail-over-helicopter-death-crash-1-5380247)

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2014/11/12/second-frederick-flight-instructor-killed-in-virginia-crash/

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/1999/dec/19/deniscampbell.theobserver

TheiC
5th Jul 2015, 20:45
I can think of a few FIs and CPL holders I wouldn't go flying with

The least able pilot with whom I have ever flown was an ATPL holder. He's no longer with us.

Neither are his crew and passengers.

thing
5th Jul 2015, 20:53
Most FIs and ATPLs I've flown with have been good pilots but there are just one or two that have you thinking how on earth they got a vanilla PPL never mind an FI or ATPL ticket. I can think of one ATPL in particular who had no empathy with the aircraft at all; he may as well have been driving a bulldozer.

Pull what
6th Jul 2015, 00:56
I remember many years ago being given a risk assessment table by an aviation insurance company, the least dangerous where brand new PPL holders and on a par with a BA Captain's and the most risky where crop spraying helicopter pilots!

I can also remember a very well known ex Spitfire pilot checking out an Instructor and saying afterwards, " an Instructor, its doubtful if he should even have a PPL". He later went onto own his own flying school and has made a major contribution to low standard flying training

Russell Gulch
7th Jul 2015, 19:22
"and has made a major contribution to low standard flying training "

Please tells more cause I need to avoid them. I prefer high standrd flying training.

Mach Jump
7th Jul 2015, 22:26
"and has made a major contribution to low standard flying training "

Please tells more cause I need to avoid them. I prefer high standrd flying training.

The sad thing is that it's so hard to guess who it could be. :sad:

MJ:ok: