PDA

View Full Version : Flew Across the United States in a Light Sport Airplane

NickLappos
29th Jun 2015, 20:23
I bought an Avid Flyer Mk IV, gross weight 1150 lbs, and flew it from Oakland California to Chester Connecticut in June. Average speed 72 knots.
It was the trip of a lifetime for me, all the more fun for having spent my career as a professional pilot, and finally responsible for just wandering across this vast country at my own pace. I also did it without a functioning comm radio, all the more terrific!

Saab Dastard
29th Jun 2015, 21:26
Nick,

Sounds like a great experience - why not post some photographs & write-ups here?

SD

Silvaire1
30th Jun 2015, 13:49
It's great that people are still flying basic aircraft long distances without controlled routing and endless chatter on the radio. To me that's what flying is about. I'd love to some see some photos or a write-up. I'd imagine there were some interesting stops and scenery.

Somewhere out on the net there a pre-WWII article by a journalist who picked up a new 65 HP Luscombe in New Jersey and flew it to Texas in a couple of days. That must've seemed like space travel at that time, and you can still do it in exactly the same way today, in the same type of plane, at maybe 82 kits cruise, a little faster than the newer plane.

Russell Gulch
30th Jun 2015, 20:02
Nick, As already said, why not let us all know mor details and pictures?

Russ