PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Club

WeatherWhite
29th Jun 2015, 10:57
From their web-site ( The Tiger Club (http://www.tigerclub.co.uk) ) it would seem the Tiger Club has moved, just down the road, to Pent Farm. :ok:

On here (and the "other side"), over the past couple of years, I have seen a number of posters ask what is going on ... this Tiger Club - Press Release (http://www.tigerclub.co.uk/press-%20release.html) provides some history, from the Tiger Club side.

An interesting read - though sad, given the state of private flying at the moment, that this sort of thing is going on. :sad:

WW

treadigraph
29th Jun 2015, 13:13
Even sadder when set against the problems they experienced with the airfield management at Redhill in the 1970s/80s.

The Ancient Geek
29th Jun 2015, 23:32
As I heard it (but this could be nonsense), part of the problem is that they do not have radios. Operating non-radio aircraft in that area is probably going to cause difficulties.

abgd
30th Jun 2015, 03:04
I had some lessons in the cub recently, and there was a radio in it. The other aircraft, I don't know.

India Four Two
30th Jun 2015, 04:55
After reading the press release, it sounds like there were much bigger issues than radios.

treadigraph
30th Jun 2015, 06:35
Mandatory radio was one of the problems they faced at Redhill in the 1970s/80s at a time when a lot of older or permit aircraft were non radio and seemed to be happily accepted by other airfields; eventually they were forced to comply and fit radios or carry hand helds. Seems a bit unlikely that they returned to non-radio when they moved to Headcorn?

'Chuffer' Dandridge
30th Jun 2015, 08:01
As I heard it (but this could be nonsense)

You are correct, it is nonsense..

Bhubesi
30th Jun 2015, 19:45
I deduced from their on line announcements that they appear to have been evicted from Headcorn.
I hope I am wrong and that its not a case of history repeating itself.
Wishing the club all the best.
Tony

Heliport
30th Jun 2015, 21:58
Flying now at Pent Farm, Postling, Hythe (http://www.tigerclub.co.uk).

POBJOY
1st Jul 2015, 19:51
The Tiger Club was always going to be difficult to keep going (as we knew it) and really needed its own airfield to maintain the way it operated.
I for one was against spending money on a fight at Redhill and thought it was better spent being put towards its own home even if that moved it further west or north.
Headcorn was never going to be a permanent solution for many reasons including the fact that Headcorn was fighting its own survival battles itself at the time.
The main TC issues were based on the membership being s-east conditioned rather than looking ahead to when our own airfield and being our own masters would be a better long term position.
It was always going to be difficult leaving Redhill, but a clean break and fresh start on our own would have worked, with the membership adjusting accordingly and new members filling the gap.
The other issue was loosing the Rollason back up that was the backbone of the engineering side of things;but even that could have relocated if we had gone to the right place.
All in all it had a great run and its legacy will always be there, to say it was aviation heaven is an understatement. PP

Flying Lawyer
2nd Jul 2015, 01:04
to say it was aviation heaven is an understatement

I agree. Very happy memories.
I had and still have enormous respect for those who ran such a wonderful club but the decision to fight Bristow was, unfortunately, an example of hearts ruling heads. To say the chance of winning the case was slim is an understatement.

I'd dropped out before the move (1990?), mainly because I was involved with warbirds at Duxford by then, but I'm pleased they had happy years at Headcorn before the difficulties in recent years and wish them every success at their new home.

You'll probably recognise the names of some of the stalwarts in this image from the programme for the 1986 airshow - one of the last, perhaps the last, the Club held there.

We (Ray Hanna/OFMC) took the Spitfire, Mustang, Kittyhawk (flying) and the Harvard (static).

http://www.tigerclub.co.uk/images/redhill6.jpg

treadigraph
2nd Jul 2015, 07:11
I remember several Tiger Club shows at Redhill particularly O'Brien's commentaries and crazy flying! The last one was 1987, a great show but poignant with two of the performing aircraft with three lives lost the following weekend in separate accidents elsewhere.

I seem to recall one year (1985?) the weather was pretty horrid and Ray Hanna's "flat act" in the Spitfire stayed well within the airfield boundary and below the scud.

The first time I had a look round the TC hangar in early January 1978 I was astounded - Tigers, Stampes, Turbs, Condors, Cosmic Winds (and not the well known Ballerina!), Cassutts, Betas, Jodels, Cub, RF-4, Bill Wilkes' newly finished Sturgeonair Mustang, Currie Wot... all stuffed within, and the next time I was there the Mew Gull had been squeezed in too. Not a nose wheel or piece of tin (yes, yes, the Cosmics and maybe the Mustang were metal) in sight.

CISTRS
2nd Jul 2015, 07:17
Not a nose wheel or piece of tin in sight.

AAAhhh... Sportair!
Tinless and taildragging

treadigraph
2nd Jul 2015, 07:29
Another great hangar (if you overlooked Micro Consultant's various exec-ships shoehorned into the blister)!

I'd forgotten that TC did also have a Wassmer Europa or Pacific - plastic AND a nose wheel, but I don't recall seeing it at Redhill.

john ball
2nd Jul 2015, 09:34
Yes, all remembered -- also the TSR3 ! and Arrow Active in the back of the hangar.

Those were the best days of my flying life. Carefree flying with total enthusiasts who were the top of the Aerobatic and racing world. Never since have I done so many hours in one year - 1981 - 85 hours, nowadays average 30 ! Mind you my Fournier RF4 G-AWBJ was very economical at 2.5GPH.
We had a proper pilots club house and were 'forced' to eat Margaret's Chilli for Sunday lunch. Club members took it in turns to be duty pilot and duty check pilot and to make the afternoon tea. A proper club atmosphere, unlike where I fly now where we do not even have a club house for private owners.

Flying Lawyer
2nd Jul 2015, 22:06
Carefree flying with total enthusiasts who were the top of the Aerobatic and racing world.
I'll second that. :ok:

a proper pilots club houseProbably the scruffiest and certainly the best atmosphere.

POBJOY
2nd Jul 2015, 22:54
It should also be remembered that the TC at Redhill was a great supporter of homebuilts and the PFA. Most weeks would find yet another machine in the hangar being assembled after having been constructed in someones garage or shed.The local PFA strut were allowed to use the tiny clubroom after ascending the steep stairs and were 'monitered' by the Mono Lisa who reminded everyone to pay for their food/tea.
A massive amount of non radio activity (which usually included aerobatics and display practices) took place at the same time Bristows trained helicopter pilots yet it all worked fine,and at w-ends we were pretty much left alone; in fact we ran the airfield for visiting aircraft. Looking back i doubt if heaven could beat that.
Of course we have to thank Norman and later Michael Jones for providing this unique haven in peaceful Surrey.

Flying Lawyer
3rd Jul 2015, 04:41
A massive amount of non radio activity (which usually included aerobatics and display practices) took place at the same time Bristows trained helicopter pilots yet it all worked fineThat's how we saw it. ;)
Bristow didn't share our view.

BTW, I agree 'clubroom' is more accurate.
JB's 'clubhouse' was a rather generous description. :)

Agree entirely re Norman and Michael Jones.

treadigraph
3rd Jul 2015, 06:49
also the TSR3 ! and Arrow Active

Glad to see the TSR3 still exists, recall it had Union Jacks painted on the top surfaces of the wings! The Active appears at Duxford from time to time.

POBJOY
3rd Jul 2015, 08:06
The 70's were probably some of Bristows busiest times for helicopter training yet the TC presence was never really an issue as our members tended to arrive after work or at w-ends.
I think Bristows were used by the airfield owners as the 'foil' in the radio dispute,but in fact the real argument was about the control an 'airfield owner' can have over his property.
We were never going to win that battle hence my regret we went down the route that cost so much that could have been better used towards our own base.
The desire to stay in the s-east condemed the club to very limited options and also co-incided with the rise in a national anti airfield group that focused on the s-east.
We should have made a play for Old Sarum which would have suited us fine and looked at the bigger long term future.That was only a suggestion but if we had really looked outside of the box there were probably several possibilities out there. OK all types !

Planemike
3rd Jul 2015, 12:41
Could have gone to Kemble............!!!!! Whoops .....!!!!

Camargue
3rd Jul 2015, 12:54
I was a member until about 2011 and had a lovely time. They had the best aerobatic instructor I've flown with, (Richard Pickin) always interesting pilots coming in and out and a professional but relaxed approach to flying.

I think the real issue they faced at headcorn is the owners wanted to have the aero legends based there, the ex chairman Chris Bellhouse was not the type to be intimidated so they started making life difficult for the tc.

There are always 2 sides to every story but they did have a hell of a time with the engineering, both with the tiger and a minor flap problem on the cap which took 3 months to fix.

They should always have been at farm strip and Pent farm will hopefully suite them well. I might go an get re acquainted!

POBJOY
3rd Jul 2015, 13:10
I do hope they survive this move,and they may even get new members from France. Even better the French influence may get them a French style airfield cafe which is what every decent airfield needs.
Good luck to the operation and those who have stuck with it in these difficult times. Perhaps the Old Sarum idea was not so far out of the thinking box.

Camargue
3rd Jul 2015, 15:13
trouble is old sarum has its problems with development as well.

wigglyamp
3rd Jul 2015, 20:02
Other than parachuting, Old Sarum seems to be devoid of almost all GA activity now. Visited in January and again last week and on both occasions I seemed to be the only fly-in visitor for the day.

POBJOY
3rd Jul 2015, 20:47
Try to keep up chaps. I was 'suggesting' that we were better looking at an alternative airfield in the 80-90's not now.
Had the TC actually managed to secure somewhere 'like' Old Sarum (which was disposed of by the MOD) then Old Sarum would be as it was, and the TC would have had a secure base.
As it is the problem has been the same for the whole of GA and especially for what were the PFA types that frequently could be non radio and preferred a grass runway (into wind).
So many airfields now only have one runway the grass roots fraternity struggle to find somewhere that really is both friendly and suitable, and that is before you get into yellow coats and security issues. I will not stretch the thread even more by listing the closed airfields, and those that suffer from thinking they are second only to Heathrow, suffice to say find a strip that suits and use that. Add food and camping and then it all makes sense again.

john ball
6th Jul 2015, 09:53
What a complete waste of an airfield, just north of Redhill --- Kenley !
Grass runways and tarmac. I wish I could base my RV6 there, as only 10 minutes from home. problem is they built house all around it, so now only suitable for no noisy gliders.

Speaking of gliders and noise, years ago I was flying a radio control model glider ( six foot wingspan ) from the top of Colley hill just north of Reigate, when this little blue single seater with a very distinctive sound flew along the hill below 500 ft going from west to east in the direction of Redhill.
Any thoughts Pobjoy ? -- seen the latest LAA mag ?

POBJOY
22nd Feb 2017, 22:10
Reigate Hill below 500ft absolute disgrace and should have been reported to the CAA. (the model that is).
The route south of Box Hill was the preferred 'weather' option when returning from displays etc and usually in the gloom.
The other route was around London and then past Croydon with the option of the Godstone road past Kenley and down the gap to Godstone (then turn right)
This was an option when Biggin and Kenley were marginal as once through the Caterham gap there was the British Rail ILS that never went US.
Comper now in 'Phoenix' mode for more future escapades !!!!
Ah Redhill what a gem (as was)

treadigraph
23rd Feb 2017, 06:53
Is the Comper flying again yet? :ok:

POBJOY
23rd Feb 2017, 07:54
Comper finally found new (workshop) home near to a strip and my work.
This is in a private running shed of a couple of old stationary engines and caused considerable interest last Sunday when there was a 'meet' and the enthusiasts found an old aircraft as part of the collection.Plan to have it ready by the end of the year if time allows. Have started the work and looking forward to spending free time on her when available.
Part of this will be to fit an electronic ignition system as 'half' of the sparks and keep one mag as original. This is being done under the auspices of the LAA and will be a test of its suitability.
Aircraft will stay in same 'scheme' as its return from the 81 trip to Iran complete with various 'scripts' added en-route.
The fabric is all ok so main work is an engine top overhaul and re protecting of fittings.All long range 'mods' will stay on and some parts will come off for NDT.The plan is to have her ready for the next Kenley event whenever that is (2018 possibly) or attend a RAFA meet at the Portcullis !!!

treadigraph
23rd Feb 2017, 08:42
Good to hear that - hope if you can bring her to Kenley, the ATC will be flying again by then... PS, stick to the grass, the hard surfaces are a bit gravelly in places!

FlyingGoat
23rd Feb 2017, 10:38
You may find that the TC has moved to Damyns Hall....

POBJOY
23rd Feb 2017, 23:45
I think the Tiger Club actually has its new home at Pent Farm in Kent,with the 'Turbs' based at SM.

md 600 driver
24th Feb 2017, 08:13
Pob joy
I also heard they they have moved but if you say they haven't I will alter my update to their moving ,to staying at pent farm
Steve

POBJOY
25th Feb 2017, 20:58
Only going by the web site and recent comms with them.
I think the turb team have another base,but that may only be a temp arrangement.
Redhill was an 'unreal' heaven that was never going to be repeated.
I was lucky; i experienced the ATC Gliding at its peak at Kenley, and then found its powered equivalent at Redhill.
Quick tale (nearly the norm)
Comper is forging along 'just' outside the Gatwick zone on its way back from Shoreham display 500ft 'ish'.When about 5 miles from RH my oily goggle vista is broken by a certain Mk9 Spitfire that flashes past and then curves around to come up behind. Extra power is rung up to the Pobjoy and the speed increased to 120 ish as i see the Spit coming up in the reflection of the instruments.
Williams tucks in alongside with flaps down and canopy back and i go to 95% so he can reduce the flap.With RH in sight i motion 'down' and alter course to go past the tower and TC hangar.Seconds later the Comper Spit duo run past and break into the circuit.Heaven cant be better than that. PC

illuminate
3rd Apr 2017, 13:33
Just seen on Facebook that the Tiger Club have updated their address to Damyns Hall.

Anyone know why they have moved again in such a short time?

alex90
3rd Apr 2017, 21:25
From their website:

"The Tiger Club has now transferred its flying operation to Damyns Hall near Upminster, Essex. The airfield is within spitting distance of the major wartime defence airfield of Hornchurch; in recognition of this the radio callsign is "Hornchurch Radio". Radio frequency is 119.55. There is one marked out runway, 03 - 21, adjoining this is a large grass area offering aircraft like Tigers an unlimited choice of landing direction. It also has an excellent lounge/café offering plentiful food and refreshments.

The access to the airfield is really good - it is 10 minutes from the M25 and only two miles from Upminster tube station. This benefit has already seen the reappearance of several former members who found travelling to our previous locations too tiresome; we look forward to renewing the acquaintance of many more.

We should have our new office connected to a landline very shortly; as soon as we have the number we will let everybody know. "

I guess they may have not had enough people travelling the 2+hours from London area? It was in the middle of nowhere...

POBJOY
4th Apr 2017, 11:20
Excellent news and means they will probably rise again as a centre of tail dragging FUN.
GOOD LUCK for the future and reason to get a certain machine back on line(already started)
The TURBS were already based 'over the water** so it all makes sense.
**The Thames that is. So pleased the spirit of real flying still hanging in there.

Ebbie 2003
5th Apr 2017, 16:17
Just saw this - did not know they got forced out of Headcorn, a consequence of living on the other side of the Atlantic for a decade or more.

My brother's 'share' airplane was based at Rochester but we would go down to Headcorn often - interesting airplanes and prior to the 'share' plane used to rent 172's there too.

Chris Freeman was a great character - the original true gent - sounds like his son is a bit of a cnut.

Does anyone know the outcome of the arbitrations - did the TC ever get compensated for the bad work on their airplanes?