PDA

View Full Version : Scotland tour 2015 - Info request

SMDirect
29th Jun 2015, 10:48
Hi All,

New to the forum, was wondering if anyone can help.

I'm looking for info of smaller unknown, maybe private airfields in Scotland for an Islay to Inverness and local trip.

Any info much appreciated.

Thanks.

Duo802
29th Jun 2015, 13:33
Hi

What aircraft type?

There aren't that many private strips in the Highlands but I'd suggest, in no particular order:

Dornoch - Grass (Highland Council)
Easter - Grass - Private, owned by David Munro
Lamb Holm - Grass (Orkney Islands) - owned by Tommy Sinclair
Glenforsa - Grass (Isle of Mull) - operated by Brendan and Alison, Glenforsa Hotel
Oban - Hard (Argyll and Bute Council)
Plockton - Hard
Broadford - Hard (Isle of Skye)

These airfields are in stunning locations and maintained in excellent condition. All information you need should be in Pooleys.

And if you feel adventurous, there are two good beaches, namely Barra and Sollas. Landing on either of these should be on every pilot's bucket list.

SMDirect
29th Jun 2015, 13:54
Many thanks for your reply. Exactly what I was looking for.

AC will be a PA34

Maoraigh1
29th Jun 2015, 17:15
While Solas is a beach, Barra beach is a HIAL airfield, with legal protections same as Islay, Tiree, Benbecula, and Inverness. Coll and Collonsay are 500m good hard, operated by A&B from Oban.
Knockbain and Shemston are tricky grass strips. And there's Glendoe, which I've never been to.
I could pm you Solas contacts if you were going there.

xrayalpha
29th Jun 2015, 17:24
Welcome to pprune!

ps. Fuel planning might be a critical issue too, there are not that many places with 100ll.

Duo802
29th Jun 2015, 18:39
Inverness, Oban and Wick for Avgas

thing
29th Jun 2015, 18:43
The flight from Oban to Inverness up the Great Glen is a must do if you're up there. (Or the other way round obviously)

astir 8
29th Jun 2015, 19:34
Cairngorm Gliding Club Feshiebridge (10 miles south of Aviemore) - Grass. PPR - see the CGC website

Avoid if the word east appears in the wind direction!

piperboy84
29th Jun 2015, 19:47
Inverness, Oban and Wick for Avgas

Think Longside may sell avgas, last time I was there they had a newly installed above ground avgas tank.

fisbangwollop
1st Jul 2015, 18:31
Werever you choose to go, a friendly ATC service available from "Scottish Information" on 119.875........we are here to help and hopefully ease your passage over Scotland :ok:

piperboy84
1st Jul 2015, 18:40
Hey FBW did u guys hear the back and forth between the microlight, an Airbus and INV app on Saturday ? Well worth a listen for entertainment value

fisbangwollop
2nd Jul 2015, 18:09
Never heard that Piperboy.......I was trying my hardest to keep some Italians out of an active danger area!!!

nkt2000
3rd Jul 2015, 20:03
I fully endorse the guys at Scottish info. Always helpful and easy to talk to.