PDA

View Full Version : MU-2 into grass field!

AdamFrisch
25th Jun 2015, 00:16
MU-2's are too cool! Here's one going into Johnson Creek in the Idaho mountains. It's a 3500ft grass field at 5000ft elevation, very smooth. I was there a few years ago in my twin Commander for the Backcountry fly-in (I was the only twin there), and we had a blast. Highly recommend the place. Such a beautiful part of America.

BTW, having done the measurements on the map when I did my takeoff there, I estimate his takeoff roll to be about 2000ft. Not bad for a 10,000lbs twin with tiny wings!

om6yTgwvNQs

treadigraph
25th Jun 2015, 12:16
I don't believe any have ever been registered in the UK, although I have an idea Alan Mann Aviation at Fairoaks may have been appointed distributors for a while in the 1980s (along with the Merlin and Metro). I seem to recall a couple of US registered examples parked there on several of my infrequent visits.

The prototype had Astazous slung under the wings on pylons, a rather odd configuration!

Nice looking aeroplane.

ETOPS
25th Jun 2015, 13:18
Why oh why oh why?..

Can't video operators turn their autofocus OFF :ugh:

Tinstaafl
26th Jun 2015, 02:53
The wings aren't that tiny - once flap is extended. Full span Fowler flaps add significant amount to the surface area.