PDA

View Full Version : Applying for work, keep flight training on CV or not?

banjodrone
24th Jun 2015, 18:27
Kind of off topic here but I'm just wondering is it considered a good idea to leave any flight training/certification you've done off your CV when looking for a job. One interviewer hinted at that and I would have to come up with a good story for what I was doing at the time but I feel he may be right. I initially thought it may have helped me as I'm looking for work in the subsea ROV piloting field and felt that along with my nautical background it would have looked good but I'm not having much luck so far. I'm sure many of you have been in the same boat so what would you do?

AMS
24th Jun 2015, 21:17
If you are applying for a non flying job - naturally they will not want to recruit and loose someone after training and additional recruitment costs - so I would suggest you do remove it.

Otherwise you risk not getting a number of jobs.....
Hth

banjodrone
24th Jun 2015, 22:07
That's kind of what I was thinking. At 44 I'm not wasting time on pursuing an aviation career with a whole 250 hours and long out of currency but maybe employers don't see it that way. I'll probably try it for a few CV's if I can come up with a decent cover. They say that up to 40% of CV content is rubbish anyway lol!......

go.around
25th Jun 2015, 15:01
banjodrone

Keep two cv's and try to avoid mentioning you have an ATPL it can put potential employers off as they think there are loads of jobs and the pay is so high you will be gone soon.

A number of guys I know who had other careers before flying and couldn't get jobs were getting turned away because the recruiter just did not understand... even the job centre said they could not help them

good luck fella.