PDA

View Full Version : PPL Written Exams

rossco18_uk
12th Jun 2002, 22:21
Hi there,
I am going to be doing my PPL soon, as some of you know. A few people have recommended doing some of my writtens before I go. Could you give me any idea where I am able to do them, if I am able to do them? Even if I am preparing for them throughly, then do i really need to do them before I go?

Regards,

Ross

GoneWest
12th Jun 2002, 23:53
As you have been advised, many times before, the best place to start is at your local airfield.....unless you want to travel.

Without knowing where you are, how long you have available to study before you go, how you are budgeting the course...etc etc. how can we give you definite answers??

You have also been advised many times before - on these forums - to do the exams before you go....no matter how much study you have done or are going to do.

If you are going to keep asking the same question.....

If you DON'T WANT to do any of the exams before you go - then don't bother. It really is your choice. You asked before for advice - you were given it. You decide what to do with it.

Evo7
13th Jun 2002, 07:25
Where are you going? It sounds like you're off to USA/SA/etc. for a 3-week special, so...

It is undoubtedly possible to pass the whole set of exams in a couple of days by learning the questions from the Confuser - however, you will understand very little of it unless you study seriously. You can't do that in the evenings while trying to fly three or four hours a day - you have to do it before you go. The obvious thing would be to do the exams while you're studying them - I have no idea why you would decide to study but not take the exam....

If I have misunderstood and you're doing it 'normally' in the UK (i.e. flying twice a week or less) then I wouldn't bother doing them first. Unless you really slack off the exams then they'll be done before you get to the end of the flying.

You need to do these exams for a reason. Form 215 and a page of METARs - should you take off or not? Are your weight and balance OK in a PA-28-140 with 3 mates in? Can you get into that farm strip? Can you get out again? Just what is Rule 5 anyway? Why are you doing those Mag checks before take off? The list goes on and on, so take them seriously and get them done first.... :)

Julian
13th Jun 2002, 07:37
Rossco,

Gonewest is right in that the best place to start would be your local airfield, if you aren't rushed for time you can study and take the exams at your own pace.

If it is pretty imminent that you get them passed the only guy I know is Ron Heyter down at Bournmouth Airport. he does a 3 day groundschool and exams with the exception of the RT which he is not licenced to undertake so you will have to get that done at your local school anyway. He was charging about £300 all in about 2 years ago but not sure what he charges now.

Julian.

Evo7
13th Jun 2002, 08:05
There is a list of RT examiners here (http://www.ais.org.uk/uk_aip/pdf/aic/RTF_Examiners.pdf).

Even without RT, I still don't see how you can cover it all well in 3 days...

BEagle
13th Jun 2002, 08:33
Having got a bit fed up with the 'learn, then dump' mentality of people trying to cram in their theory exams at my RF and then going off to learn to fly in the USA, I'm now charging the CAA rate for any exam taken by anyone who is not learning to fly at the Club. However, if they do learn to fly at the Club, then they will pay nothing for any exams taken.

However, if anyone fails an exam twice then we won't let them take a third attempt until they've attended a professional groundschool session in that subject......

rossco18_uk
13th Jun 2002, 09:28
Evo7, yes I am off to the states for 4 weeks. Don't worry I am planning to do a lot of studying before I go. I am already into Aviation Law. I have everything I need, so I am able to do pretty much most of the studying before I go. I also have the PPL Confuser. I got it through the post this morning and it seems to have plenty of questions in it, so I will certainly be using that. All I wanted to know, was a little advice from anyone who has been to the States possibly and didn't complete their writtens before they went and how they found it. I am sorry if I offended you Gonewest, as your post seemed a little.... :mad: I am only another wannabe about to do my PPL abroad in another country and I want to be sure of everything before I go - I just want as many opinions as possible. Is there something wrong with that??

Anyway, thank you for the advice for anyone else who posted.

P.S. I am leaving 01 Sep02, this will give you an indication of the time I have before I leave. I have planned it out and I think it should be enough time to get through all the Thom books, as well as the PPL Confuser. I do Aeronautical Engineering at University and it definately helps in some of the subjects.

Thanks again,

Ross

Biker Pilot
13th Jun 2002, 10:58
Ross,

I did my PPL in the US almost 2 years ago (yes, I am currently heavily
into my reval at the moment).

I highly advise you to get all the studying of the books done as you can
well before going. Work though all the exercises and don't even glance
at the questions in the confuser until you feel ready for an exam. It is far
too easy to go through the confuser learning how to answer the questions
and learning very little out of it.

I did all my exams apart from the R/T practical before I went over and that
helped a great deal. Most of the others out there at the same time were
trying to fit in their ground school and exams and finding it very hard going.

It will also help if you can do some lessons before you go. Remember that
US R/T and circuit practice is different from the UK styles. It is common for
students to do a US course, pass, then have problems once back trying to
cope with the UK way of things. If you learn UK R/T and try to stick to the
"correct" way without picking up much of the Americanisms you'll be better
prepared (I had 22 hours over here before I did my US course which
helped *loads*).

Also, doing some flying with a club over here first means they are less
likely to think of you as the use em and dump em and more likely to
see you as a potential aircraft hirer on your return. Get on friendly terms
with them and you will probably find them extremely helpful (I did).

The great things about these intensive courses are:

1. you don't spend half each lesson trying to remember how things
went the last time;
2. you are hanging around the airfield with other students and pilots
all day every day - it is a great feeling and you can pick up loads.

The problems are:

1. the structure of controlled airspace is slightly different;
2. R/T can seem very different;
3. altimiter setting in inches instead of hPa (ie. the good old mb).

On your return, expect to have a couple of flights with an instructor to
get back into the UK style of things. You will *not* do overhead joins
in the US (as far as I have seen) and you will not get any MATZ
experience out there so get an instructor to take you through them.

Can't think of anything else just now. Best of luck. I had the time of my
life when I was over there (and now regularly fly in Oregon).

M

Currymonster
13th Jun 2002, 11:05
If you are leaving sept 2002 then there is no reason why you can't get them done in the UK before you go.. Get down to your local airfield and commit to the Law exam for a start.. Once you take one then book the next etc and set a timescale.. I messed about for about 5 months before taking Law. and whilst I still got PPL within 9 moonths had to cram exams in. If you've got the confuser then study the subject before the confuser. You'll have no problems.
As far as negative responses from people, forget them, remember taht each perosn on this forum has been there and asked 1001 questions... Good Luck

Currymonster
13th Jun 2002, 11:06
apologies for my typing errors!!!

Julian
13th Jun 2002, 11:58
Evo7, sorry I should have added that Ron expects you to have read through all the relevant chapters in the books so you are not coming in cold to him. He then runs through the groundschool with you.

I think anyone coming in completely cold on the subjects and intending to pass in 3 days is pushing their luck!

Julian.

Evo7
13th Jun 2002, 12:29
Ah, that makes more sense :)

englishal
13th Jun 2002, 12:59
I bought the books well before I was going to learn to fly, read through them all a couple of times, went to the US and did my exams including RT there.

Although you do not do "over head" joins in the US, its advaisable that you do do an overhead of sorts for uncontrolled (radio) airfields. Over fly the airport 1000' above circuit height or higher, dead side to 'live side', once clear of the circuit decend to circuit height, then turn and join on the 45° for downwind. Works pretty well. There is also no reason you should not practice the standard overhead during your training...

Cheers
EA

Grim Reaper 14
13th Jun 2002, 13:17
Recently went the old 'four week' trip myself. My advice to you would be that if you are happy to be absolutely knackered from the stresses of learning to fly, and yet still be more than happy to spend hours EACH DAY, taking lectures, studying outside of your core school hours, and taking exams, then do nothing until you get there.

If on the other hand, you would like to be in the enviable position of being able to concentrate on your exams alone, your flying, your flying skills and your flying practice, then get your head into the books now, properly, not just a quick glance and skip read through.

If you would like to be able to not worry about anything except your flying, get your @rse into gear, contact your local schools and get your darn exams done before you get there!

Me? I wish I had taken route 3.... your decision is a matter for no one but yourself. My 20/20 hindsight position is only a guide. Only you know what you want to achieve in your 4 weeks, and if having a day here and there to actually relax (and, god forbid, partake of an ale or two) features anywhere, I think you know the answer. There is no easy way to do it, just the way we all go - hard work and dedication. The consensus here is start asap. I would also add that the confuser, while useful, is no way to plan your exams. I have seen those students who have resorted to doing nothing but study the confuser, purely because they don't have enough time or effort to spare in a 4 week period. :( It doesn't make for a good flying experience.

Above all else, enjoy (and having your exams under your belt will make it that much easier, believe me!)

;)

AdamUK
15th Jun 2002, 11:50
You need planned study backed up by experience for the Nav paper.

Read Thom then answer questions in Confuser.

Bottle Fatigue
16th Jun 2002, 19:02
I'd agree with adamUK.

Having done the same thing myself about 3 yrs ago - I found that study of the books well before plus having planned and flown a few nav-exes made the navigation/flight planning paper a doddle.