PDA

View Full Version : Flying in to Coventry

londonblue
24th Jun 2015, 09:27
I have just planned a flight into Coventry and realised that I need to go through Birmingham airspace to get there. It seems that since I last flew there (which was many years ago) Birmingham's airspace has "grown". I can't see how I can avoid this, so do I need to ask Birmingham for zone transit, or can I just speak to Coventry and let them deal with it?

I've checked the Coventry website, but it doesn't actually mention this at all. I've also searched this website, but haven't managed to find a previous thread on the subject.

Any help will be gratefully received.

EchoSierra
24th Jun 2015, 09:49
Hi LondonBlue.

You'll need to talk to Birmingham for a zone transit - they will however probably co ordinate your arrival with Coventry ATC.

Where are you flying in from?

ES

londonblue
24th Jun 2015, 10:31
Thanks ES. I'll be flying from Elstree.

EchoSierra
24th Jun 2015, 10:51
That routing would keep you clear of Birmingham CAS, as long as you stay below 1500' when joining.

I'd imagine they'll ask you to join left/right base for 23/05, or possibly hold at Draycote if they have inbound commercial traffic followed by downwind/base join :8

ES

londonblue
24th Jun 2015, 11:22
That routing would keep you clear of Birmingham CAS, as long as you stay below 1500' when joining.

That's true, but the airfield elevation for Coventry is 267', which means you're only really about 1250' agl. I know it's not for long, but it does seem a bit low.

EchoSierra
24th Jun 2015, 11:56
You would be inside the ATZ at the same time as going under the 1500' CAS so I would expect to be at 1000' QFE when joining on base leg/downwind. (Circuit height is 1000' QFE from what I remember)

Best bet if you are unsure is to give ATC a call, they will appreciate you calling up rather than blundering in and potentially busting CAS.

ES

londonblue
24th Jun 2015, 12:29
Don't worry. I have every intention of ringing them. In fact, with the exception of Le Touquet, I don't think I've gone anywhere without ringing first.

Piper.Classique
24th Jun 2015, 20:46
I don't see a problem here unless you are minus transponder. Just call whoever you need as you proceed.
Birmingham don't bite.....

modelman
24th Jun 2015, 21:56
Hello, was based at Coventry for all my 7 years and never spoke to birmingham once , just get below 1500 QNH by Draycote VRP, give Cov a call a bit earlier than that maybe at Daventry and they will tell you to report at Draycote for joining instructions ( get the ATIS first, always goes down well with ATC) and a squawk that will let brum know Cov are looking after you, really very friendly lot. Doubt if you will need to hold as very little commercial traffic at Cov these days.
I assume you have a transponder. Keep a good lookout, can get quite busy around Draycote .
Good luck.

londonblue
25th Jun 2015, 08:11
Perfect! Thanks modelman.

Russell Gulch
27th Jun 2015, 22:42
"1250' agl. I know it's not for long, but it does seem a bit low."

Really? Just how high do you have to be to be in your comfort zone?

Piper.Classique
28th Jun 2015, 05:39
Don't know about the original poster, but this pilot thinks it depends on what is underneath, because engines have been known to stop. I find your comment, because it certainly isn't a helpful contribution, somewhat patronising. The OP isn't comfortable at 1250 feet, so that's all there it's to it. If you want to fly at 501 feet, fine. Other people don't have to if that doesn't suit them.

Whopity
28th Jun 2015, 07:03
There is no problem going into Coventry nor any need to go through Birmingham airspace to get there. Just be aware on departure that you do not go above 1500ft QNH until you are clear of Birmingham airspace. Look at the instrument approach plates, missed approach procedure, and you will see how it avoids Birmingham airspace.

Cusco
28th Jun 2015, 20:05
I flew into Coventry VFR yesterday from the East.

I called up 20NM out , was given a squawk, told to remain below CAS (1500ftQNH) and head for Draycott Water, report at Draycott and expect a Left base join for 23.

And this is what happened: no contact with Birmingham at all.

On departure I was given a squawk, told to remain below 1500ft QNH till clear to the east .

And this is what I did: no contact with Birmingham.

Cusco

Occams Razor
28th Jun 2015, 21:12
As Piper.Classique says, we don't bite at BB. If you're approaching from the East then give Coventry a call before Draycote, at this time of year there's lots of traffic out there. If you're approaching from the West then either plan to stay beneath the 1500' base to the West of Coventry, or give BB a call for zone transit but bear in mind the piece of airspace to the South of BB is rather busy at times. If we can accommodate you then we will :)